Steep Time.........how do you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Mimi-

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
here, there and everywhere
I have ordered juices from a few places just to try. Some will list either "date born", steep time needed on the invoice etc. Then some give no info at all.

How long do you let juices steep or do you just automatically try them soon as you get them?? I just tried one that I got today and its OBVIOUS it needs steep time. It was just horrid lol I am a little leary to try any more for a few days.

Sovran

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
State side

Ray D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
PA
I'll smell it sometimes. If it smells harsh, it will probably taste harsh, so I leave the cap off overnight before testing it.

After that (or if it doesn't have a harsh, chemical smell), I'll load up a cheap carto to test it. (I'm eventually getting dripping atties for this purpose) If it tastes fine, I'll load up my clearos or better carts with it depending on thickness. If it tastes weak, or harsh, or not what I expected, then I'll leave the cap off the bottle for another 2 days. Close it, shake it, and let it age for 2 weeks (shaking every day, or at least every other day). Then I'll try it again.

I had one juice take 6 weeks to hit what I thought the flavor should be. Good e-juice is like wine. You have to let it breathe, and it gets better with age.

Now some companies will tell you their juice can be used right away. That they steep it before sending it out. And that's more or less true. But even those companies occasionally send one out that's not "ripe" yet. so it's always best to do a test vape before going hog wild with it.

Keep them in the dark. Always.

jazzbo

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2011
Orlando, Fl
Really depends. Some juices (Dekang, etc) are made weeks or months in advance and generally won't require steeping. They are what they are. However, juices made to order likely WILL require some steeping time. Smell it upon receipt, try a few drops in an atty and if it doesn't seem right, let it steep a couple of days and try again. If you notice a change, then you'll know. And don't forget to shake the bottle well before each use!

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
One way to avoid this, and seems expensive at first, is once you find stuff you like order extra bottles that way theres always extra sitting and curing and its always ready when you need it. even if i dont use it right away i will set the bottles in the cabinet for a week or two. then just toss em in the fridge for later.

"I have a possibly stupid question to add to this, will juices evaporate while steeping with the lid off? "
yes but as there is very little water in most juices it takes a while before you notice a difference.
everyone is different but i usually only remove the cap for the first day then screw it on and leave em on the shelf.

Phoenix~

Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
Waxhaw NC
This steeping business is soooo frustrating. I'm a noob too, so, I don't always know if its operator error or not. In the case of juice...I just let a bottle steep for about a month and I've finally decided no amount of steeping is gonna change the fact that it tastes like olives...yeah, OLIVES! Blaaaaa, lol! Patience waiting for juice to steep is kinda like knowing your going to Disney World as a kid...

-Mimi-

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
here, there and everywhere
LOL Phoenix!! I agree it is a little frustrating because it is hard to determine if it is me or the juice. I understand flavors are subjective but seeing so many talk about how GOOD flavors are, ordering the flavors, loading them up then going "huh", I don't get it lol I have just tasted one out of the box that I can't say what it tasted like or smelled like but it was NOT good lol I will see what happens after it steeps.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
This steeping business is soooo frustrating. I'm a noob too, so, I don't always know if its operator error or not. In the case of juice...I just let a bottle steep for about a month and I've finally decided no amount of steeping is gonna change the fact that it tastes like olives...yeah, OLIVES! Blaaaaa, lol! Patience waiting for juice to steep is kinda like knowing your going to Disney World as a kid...

If it's unvapable, some people add a couple drops of something like Magic Mask or Vape Wizard (there are a couple different products like this). It sort of dulls/neutralizes the flavor. Worth a try if you're not going to vape it. Small amount, like .5-1%.

pokerplaya

Apr 15, 2012
Minnesota
I have ordered juices from a few places just to try. Some will list either "date born", steep time needed on the invoice etc. Then some give no info at all.

How long do you let juices steep or do you just automatically try them soon as you get them?? I just tried one that I got today and its OBVIOUS it needs steep time. It was just horrid lol I am a little leary to try any more for a few days.

This is my system for steeping. I will vape everything right fresh out of the mailbox by dripping. If it tastes good, it goes into a tank. If it tastes bad, I put the cap back on the bottle, slap a post-it note with today's date, and toss it into the back of my "Vape Cabinet". When I need a new juice for a tank, I'll look for something that has been steeping for about a month or so. I'll drip it, if its good it goes into the tank, if not, write the new date on it and toss it back into the vape cabinet. Three strikes and that juice is out, it gets either traded or given away. That's the way I roll. I don't do anything fancy, I don't leave caps off, heat/cool them, shake 'em, bake 'em, or make any sacrificial offerings to the Vape God's. The right way to do this is YOUR way. There are about as meany ways to steep a juice as there are vapers. I hope some of my babbling is useful to you, to help you make your way to steep. :)

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
I quick steep juices in hot (not boiling) water with the cap off (just enough water to cover the juice, or near to it) for an hour or so (til the water cools), then put it in a cabinet without the cap for 24-48 hours,,,,,,it's usually good after that,,,,,,but admittedly, I'm not THAT picky,,,,,,,I rarely need to steep fruit flavors, for instance,,,,they're good right away. The creams, though,,,,,,,,,yeah, they need steeping.

Ray D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
PA
I've got a few tobacco flavors that taste anything but. Perfume? Sure. Flowery sugar water? Possibly?

But most definitely NOT tobacco. Not even a trace.

I've had 3 of them steeping almost a month and they still taste nothing like tobacco. And 2 more came in today (different varieties) with the exact same "not tobacco" flavor. Ugh.

I'm really hoping steeping cures them. But at this rate, it might take 3 months. Is it so hard to find a 50/70/80% PG tobacco flavor that's good to go out of the mail and not have to wait for the second coming to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread