Steep Time.........how do you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

empot

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2012
Las Vegas
I taste my juices almost every day or other day as I have tons of samplers, large and small volumes. I use drip attys to taste. Problem is, I never keep track. All i know is when the bottle gets half-way empty then it must have steeped already. General rule of thumb for me is a week to two, lots of exceptions though. Couple of days with cap off. Every day bottle shaking a must.

Ray D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
PA
Well this might explain why a bunch of the flavors I just got don't taste to great. Think I will have to let them sit up in the cupboard for a week or so.

How long on average do you need to let the juice set for?

Shake the hell out of it. Vigorously and for at least 30 seconds. Then take the cap off (and dripper attachment if it has one). Put it in a DARK place (cabinet, drawer, closet) and keep it in the dark uncapped for 24-48 hours. Then put the cap back on, shake like hell again, and put it (cap still on) back in the dark for a week. If it's a non-tobacco flavor, that's usually enough. Test it, and if it needs more steeping, rinse, repeat. (I use a cabinet I have in my basement)

Some tobaccos take FOREVER to blossom. (Not really, but a month to 6 weeks isn't uncommon).

Other than Johnson Creek, I've yet to find a "tobacco" that doesn't need a ton of steeping.

Also, keep in mind: smaller volumes need less steeping time. My problem is I always order in big bottles too. I need a lot of little bottles to separate them. :)

I really want to get Long Bottom Leaf and Shire Malt from Pipe Sauce, and their 100 ml bottles are very well priced. But I'm afraid it would take me 3 months to steep those.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread