Steeping Eliquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickPBush

Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
devon
Hi, I've been mixing my own e liquid for a while now and I just came across something called steeping. I'd love to know what this does and if it's worth doing. I only mix up 2-4ml at a time and just pop it straight into my tank. I'm quite happy with the result but what is this steeping business all about and if it is worth doing, how does it affect the params of the juice like TH, flavor etc and how is it best to do it please. Thanks, regards, Rick.

Rimau

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2011
I have no idea where I'm at
Steeping is just letting it sit and aging.

Hoosier is the man. Read his flavor blog here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...l-diy-guide-flavoring-ratios.html#comment4799

There are comments about steeping at the end that are interesting. Usually tobacco flavors get the most benifit from steeping, but other flavors do as well. I always steep everything so the flavors blend and especially with tobacco flavors, they mellow and are more like tobacco and not as "flowery". After mixing, just let it sit from a few days to weeks (more for tobacco, less for fruit), depending on the flavors used. I steep with the cap on, but others steep 3-7 days with the cap off. You should never steep with the liquid in the sunlight. Browse around the DIY area and you will find lots of threads about steeping. Try a bit of your new batch fresh, then try steeping it for a couple of days, then try it again, it will be different. Flavors usually intensify with aging/steeping etc. Many flavors mellow and I haven't really noticed a reduction in TH, just harshness, which is different.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
There are a bunch of little questions in the OP that mostly equate to an answer of "maybe".

The good news is that it is really easy to find out if your maybe leans toward yes or toward no. The next time you mix a tank's worth of juice, make two and set the second one aside with a label containing the flavor and date. Do this for each flavor you make in a week's time.

Then after a label's date is a few weeks in the past, fill a tank with it and try it.

Unless you mistakenly left the top off and/or left the bottle in the sun, I doubt there will be any TH difference, but the rest might change. If you pull that set-aside-bottle out of it's dark drawer and notice the juice is darker than it usually is when you first fill your tank, I'll bet the taste has changed.

I have recipes that need to steep to get the full effect of all the tastes. I have recipes that do not get any benefit from steeping. I have recipes that are good to go from the moment they are mixed, but change flavor when steeped and I like both the fresh and the steeped tastes. There is only one way to find out, try it.

(Thanks for the kind words Rimau.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread