Status
Not open for further replies.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
I'm trying to mix my own Earl Grey Tea from Black Tea and Bergamot. For a first step I've been trying Flavor Express and Flavour Art black tea flavors, and so far the results are pretty bad. The black tea liquids taste more like cheap tea boiled to death - very bitter and tannic. I've tried percentages from .5 to 5, so I'm starting to wonder if they need significant steeping time. The Earl Grey flavors I've used before haven't, though.

The second question is bakery flavors - specifically bread flavors like Danish and Pannetone. These seem to have the bread flavor recede to the background as they age. I've been trying to add Cardamom to the Pannetone to get Julekaga and adding Toasted Almond to Danish Pastry to get Almond Danish. (I'm going to get some plain Almond or Marzipan to add to that when I can afford more flavors.)

So do tea flavors need lengthy steeping to mellow out some?

Do bakery flavors need higher percentage of bread components to end up with the bready notes coming through.

I've tried searching within the site and on Google and just haven't found any info on steeping either of these. I'm also wondering what would be the best addition to the bakery flavors to add an icing/frosting flavor.

Dixie1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
Springfield,Oregon,USA

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I steep everything, 4 weeks minimum to 2-3 months. I have a few ADV's and make 60 - 90 ml. at a time. If a flavor dies or is not any good after a few months, I would have to find a new mix of that flavor which would keep/maintain over time. Of the 7-9 ADV's, none have gone bad. At present I have 7-9 flavors steeping with various 4 week min. mixes ready to vape at any given time. I do no artificial aging. All my aging is natural and works for me.
With some flavors, I can vape sooner. This is a taste personal perception and varies from person to person. The above can be applied to some bakery flavors that I have tried. Tea, no idea how long to vape. You have to experiment. Could check out herbal flavor family which the tea family is a member.

A must read:
http://www.v4p3r.com/e-liquid-steeping-fact-or-fiction/

Might want to check out @dannyv45 blog on steeping:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ut-steeping-and-then-some.5010/#comment-12543

Reactions: Dixie1954

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
I steep everything, 4 weeks minimum to 2-3 months. I have a few ADV's and make 60 - 90 ml. at a time. If a flavor dies or is not any good after a few months, I would have to find a new mix of that flavor which would keep/maintain over time. Of the 7-9 ADV's, none have gone bad. At present I have 7-9 flavors steeping with various 4 week min. mixes ready to vape at any given time. I do no artificial aging. All my aging is natural and works for me.
With some flavors, I can vape sooner. This is a taste personal perception and varies from person to person. The above can be applied to some bakery flavors that I have tried. Tea, no idea how long to vape. You have to experiment. Could check out herbal flavor family which the tea family is a member.

A must read:
http://www.v4p3r.com/e-liquid-steeping-fact-or-fiction/

Might want to check out @dannyv45 blog on steeping:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ut-steeping-and-then-some.5010/#comment-12543

Thanks, I have done my reading, and I have been doing about 4 weeks steeping on a tobacco mix that I make. I'm just confused on the tea, especially since I've been using Nature's Flavors Earl Grey flavoring and it has only needed either a quick heat steeping in microwaved dry rice or about a week at room temp.

I had been assuming that mixing separate black tea and bergamot would be about the same, and either it's not or the flavorings aren't very good. I don't know much about Flavor Express, but the Flavour Art teas had been recommended to me.

The bakery isn't as important, since I don't vape a lot of sweet flavors. I just kind of enjoy working on them and I usually have one set up and vaping along with my three main flavors.

Reactions: Dixie1954
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread