Brand New at This, Can Someone Help With Some Flavoring Percentages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
I've been reading through the stickies and a lot of the threads, and I ran a bunch of searches (ECF, I love you, but the search function :censored:) but I just haven't found what I need for my first try at DIY. Part of why I'm trying this is because I don't like sweet flavors, which really limits selection. Most of what I want to try are single flavor liquids. I'm also going to try some coffee and tea extractions, but not for my first run.

So, these are the flavors and brands that I bought to try to start with. I know that there are different general percentages to start with for different brands, so can anyone here give me a rough idea where to start with these? I promise not to hold it against you if you're wrong, ;-) but I'd sure would appreciate being able to start in the same ballpark where I hope to end up.

As a clue, I tend to prefer flavors strong. One of my only regrets about my current supplier is that they don't offer flavor shots.

Burley tobacco by Inawera (I’ll be adding Menthol Liquid Concentrate)

Organic Earl Grey by Nature's Flavors
Earl Grey Flavor By Signature

English Toffee Flavor By LorAnn Oils
Organic English Toffee by Nature's Flavors

Organic Black Currant by Nature's Flavors
Black Currant Flavor By Signature

Pucked Up Pineapple by Tasty Puff
Pineapple by Flavor West

I’ll also be trying to mix Organic Mint by Nature's Flavors and Black Tea by FlavourArt to try to get a mint black tea that isn’t sweet. I assume that for that one I want to start with enough of the tea to make a fairly strong tea flavor and then gradually add mint to taste.

I was also going to try Cranapple, but managed to order two apple flavors and forget the cranberry.

The Burley menthol tobacco and Earl Grey Tea are my two main flavors now. There don't seem to be a lot of choices for those as far as brands go. I did also order bergamot as well as the black tea in case I want to tweak the Earl Grey. I know that just in the tea for drinking there is a pretty wide spread on the proportions among brands.

The doubles grouped together are where I'm hoping to be able to compare two different brands. The English Toffee is the only sweet flavor that I've tried that I like, and I've tried a lot.

Any and all suggestions appreciated. I don't expect to be perfect on my first tries, but I'd sure like to be close.:D

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Hey amoret. I am by no means experienced in the DIY stuff but I have only bought juice twice in the last 9 months so I'm making myself happy. You have some wonderful flavors there and first off I see that every flavor you have would go very well with the tobacco flavoring. I enjoy fruit flavors with my tobacco's. When you are mixing a one flavor recipe, the fruit flavors are pretty much shake and vape to me. The tobacco's tend to become even better after a couple of days. When I first started out DIY'ing I tried to be so careful with measurements and recipes. I now consider myself a mixing sloth because I just add flavors I like to my unflavored nic juice. Easy peasy. But I'm happy and that is really all that matters to me. You just have to play with it. Make a small batch and try it. Change it....see if you like it better. At first I kept really good notes too. I am sure someone will come along and really give you the help you need. I just mainly wanted to tell you that it is a lot of fun and I wish you well. :)

lkerr

Jan 24, 2014
Kentucky
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr..._hQ6Fu8HdEwwR2dLRUJlVjlabEN1NG1ucktuUVE&gid=0

This may help. Keep in mind nothing is written in stone. But, like you I wanted something to shoot at, anyplace to start was a good place, a stake in the ground if you will.
As something to keep in mind, if you taste very little flavor you may have added too much. My first experience at mixing was FA watermelon. I followed the above spreadsheets recommendation 7-8% I think. I tasted almost nothing, waited a day still nothing. Diluted that mix by half with an unflavored nicotine mix and got lots of flavor. It can sometimes be counterintuitive.
Above all have fun. I too am somewhat slothful, recipe calling for 1.00%, I am usually between 0.75% and 1.50% and I still prefer my DIY over any commercial juice I have purchased.

Heabob

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2014
Bay City, Michigan
INW Burley is way to mild alone IMO, (I'd have to use 10% just to taste it).
INW Virginia or S'Camel are closer to real tobacco, (if there is such a thing).
For a "better", (more tobacco flavoring).
Add these enhancers:
INW Tobacco Absolute Virginia (WG)
INW DNB flavor

FW Pineapple was strong enough, to me, at 5%...
But I like to add a bit of Vanilla to it.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Thanks everyone for responding. I guess my first round is going to be kind of by guess and by golly.

As a general rule of thumb when I sample new vendors for flavors I start off with 5%, and work my way up from there. It is always easier to add more, than try and compensate and work down.

Yeah, that's about what I was figuring if I couldn't get any more specific ideas. I was just hoping to avoid some unnecessary clean, fill, clean, fill cycles.:D

I suppose I could just get some non-rebuildable dripping atomizers, but I figured that a) with really numb/damaged hands that dripping is not a great idea, and b) since I don't drip normally that it wouldn't be an accurate test of what the flavors would be like once I put them into clearos.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr..._hQ6Fu8HdEwwR2dLRUJlVjlabEN1NG1ucktuUVE&gid=0

This may help. Keep in mind nothing is written in stone. But, like you I wanted something to shoot at, anyplace to start was a good place, a stake in the ground if you will.
As something to keep in mind, if you taste very little flavor you may have added too much. My first experience at mixing was FA watermelon. I followed the above spreadsheets recommendation 7-8% I think. I tasted almost nothing, waited a day still nothing. Diluted that mix by half with an unflavored nicotine mix and got lots of flavor. It can sometimes be counterintuitive.
Above all have fun. I too am somewhat slothful, recipe calling for 1.00%, I am usually between 0.75% and 1.50% and I still prefer my DIY over any commercial juice I have purchased.

Someone did already point me to that spreadsheet, but it doesn't have any of the Nature's Flavors or Signature flavors, and not many of the specific flavors from the other brands. I wasn't going for those brands particularly, but they were the ones that had the Earl Grey Tea and Black Currant. So as long as I was at EcigExpress I went ahead and ordered the ones that looked most likely to suit me.

INW Burley is way to mild alone IMO, (I'd have to use 10% just to taste it).
INW Virginia or S'Camel are closer to real tobacco, (if there is such a thing).
For a "better", (more tobacco flavoring).
Add these enhancers:
INW Tobacco Absolute Virginia (WG)
INW DNB flavor

FW Pineapple was strong enough, to me, at 5%...
But I like to add a bit of Vanilla to it.

I didn't select the Burley to be like tobacco, really. It is just that one of my two favorite ready mixed flavors is a Burley Menthol Tobacco. Never did think it tasted especially like smoking, and never found any other tobacco flavor that I liked. It just seems like a richer flavor than plain menthol, which I also kind of like.

clh2121

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2014
Keota, Oklahoma, United States
That's good to know. The brands I have in particular, or tea flavors in general?

Tea in general. Teas, coffees, and Tobaccos are often pretty dang stout flavors. Signature is supposedly the same as TFA, and that's the Tea I've the most exp with... and you gotta start low or it'll be horrible... (I tried it at 10% per 'norm' for TFA at the time.... needless to say it swore me off tea for a LONG time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread