Steeping: To Steep or not to Steep ... that is the question!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Churros4u

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2010
Series of tubes in Northeast Ohio
I have a question that I would like some insight on because I have heard different things. Should I be steeping all of my e-juices? I have also heard that I should leave the caps off of my e-juices for 24 hours to help them steep but I'm not sure.

I'm so confused :confused:. Can someone out there help answer my questions? Thanks - Roy

BTW: HappyHalloween!

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
Steeping allows for the flavor to develop more fully. Some juices, especially those you mix yourself or those that are mixed-to-order, will taste better after steeping. Other flavors just taste better after they've been left alone for a few days. Whether you steep all of your juices or not is up to you. If one just doesn't taste good, leave it be for a few days and try it again.

chimney55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
NW Arkansas
I've found that some juices are good right out of the box. (I get all of mine "mixed to order".) Most of them, however, don't have enough flavor of one kind or another. And then there are some that sound promising, but taste like **** the first day that you get them. (I got one 2 days ago that was labeled "Dr. Pepper" but should have been labeled "perfumed soap"!) I don't throw anything away. I just let them steep. I have a curious cat though and I don't leave the caps off of them to steep because I never know what he'll try when I'm not looking.

basilray

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Minneapolis
www.youtube.com
David at FSUSA suggested that you leave the cap off over night to let the flavor steep. Seems to speed the process up a bit instead of just letting it sit for a few days.

I do worry a bit about the nicotine degrading with the prolonged exposure to oxygen...but other than that, seems to work just fine.

ronlitton

Sep 22, 2010
Monticello, FL
Nicotine WILL change (oxidize) on exposure to the oxygen in air, and so will many flavor components. That means the flavor of your juices will change as they age, if there's air in the containers. If you want to speed that up, and have a safe place to do it, pour the juice into a shallow, wide container (like a glass baking pan, for example) (to get more exposure to air) and put it in a cool, dark place - it'll "age" in less time since more of the juice is exposed to the air.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Cap off: "Waiter! Waiter! There's a fly in my e-juice!"
Cap on: No fly.

Cap off for a day in a safe place MAY help some juices to give off volatile chems. But my question is why is there volatile chems like that in there to begin with? Must come with the flavoring..... IDK. I'd say 24 hours max cap off. Up to two weeks steeping (some say more, I don't mix that far ahead). Usually a few hours and a bunch of shaking is fine for my DIY. YMMV

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous [taste] fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To [vape or], to s[t]eep,
[No] more; and by a s[t]eep to say we end
The heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to........

Forgive me W.S.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread