Steeping: top off? or top on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
I just got a bunch from AiV and all the flavors were too "weak" for me. Not bad, just very weak (all but one). They are the "sample pack" which is quite tiny. Do I have to take all the tiny caps off to steep it? Or can I just let it all sit "in the back" for a couple days/weeks and try again?

Same for MBV, I loved my first few that I got and when they had that 16% off sale I bought about 10 more! But most of them are weak to me :-( Do I need to leave the little caps off? And then I am in danger of spilling them all since they are like, 10 ml bottles Do you need a rack to set open bottles on if you are "steeping" them all at once?

I'm not sure I "get" the point of taking the cap off and possibly attracting insects dust and so on :(

I searched the treads and there are many many ones on steeping, so many that I don't know where to begin. I once did a google search for some topic and got better results for ECF than I did with the ECF search :(

1 month vaping, I wish it was a 'straighter course' but I might be just having a bad day, I have more than one close loved-ones diagnosed with terminal cancer(s) at the moment and notice it screws with "good thinking" :( THANKS so much for any help!

PHX

Tony_B

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
mASSachusetts
There are a few youtube vids on steeping. Usually if I can't narrow down tutorials/reviews on google, I try there.
Basically, it boils down to this: Shake juice like crazy to get a really good mix. Remove cap and let sit for 24 hours. After 24 hrs, put cap back on and let it sit for a week. Done. Some juices may need to go another week (or more, for best flavor), but most are good after a week.
I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but what I do is, squeeze the bottle till the juice gets right to the edge of the opening, and then release before you put the cap on. I know some blenders use alcohol, and I figure that recirculating the air will get rid of anything that evaporated inside the bottle.

double_aa_ron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
Austin, Texas
All that shaking and removing caps is a pain in the ars and not necessary. It might expedite the process, but you don't need to do it. When I get a juice in that I feel needs to steep I just put it at the back of my juice shelf and forget about it for a couple of weeks. I don't shake it, remove caps, or put it in a dark place (I do keep all my juices out of direct sunlight though). The main ingredient in steeping is time.

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
All that shaking and removing caps is a pain in the ars and not necessary. It might expedite the process, but you don't need to do it. When I get a juice in that I feel needs to steep I just put it at the back of my juice shelf and forget about it for a couple of weeks. I don't shake it, remove caps, or put it in a dark place (I do keep all my juices out of direct sunlight though). The main ingredient in steeping is time.

AH-HA! this is what i was hoping to hear! I will try this, because the prospect of spilling them is a bummer. I have already spilled a few just reaching in there with those tiny bottles :-( I am going to try this first, thanks!

Tony_B

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
mASSachusetts
Some flavorings contain alcohol, and some juices contain distilled water that needs to evaporate. Not sure how this will happen for you with the caps on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread