Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyJet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
Carolinas
Hey Folks,

My question concerns sterilizing hardware in an ultrasonic cleaner. Specifically, I am referring to this ultrasonic cleaner...

Ultrasonic Cleaner - Great Deals on Ultrasonic Cleaners at Harbor Freight

I have been using this ultrasonic cleaner for a while and am happy with the results. But, I have been using straight Everclear as the cleaning solution and do not like the flavor Everclear leaves in the hardware, especially cartomizers.

My question is, if I use distilled water instead of Everclear, will the hardware still be sterilized? Cleaning is one thing, sterilizing is another. Or maybe I should use 50/50 to reduce the bad taste of the Everclear?

Thanks in advance, JJ

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
I've been using vodka as my cleaning solution. Taryn spin to remove it when its done in the Ultrasonic Cleaner, then let it dry overnight. If you're very sensitive to the taste from Everclear, you can rinse with water after cleaning, then do the spin and let dry for at least a day (water evaporates slower than alcohol)

Some folks have been using Crest Pro Health mouthwash, but it requires a soak overnight in water to get rid of the minty taste. And no, water won't "sterilize", and, in fact, won't clean quite as well as alcohol.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
As far as needing sterilization, both PG and nicotine are antimicrobial and anti-fungal, so personally I don't worry very much about disinfecting the insides of my attys and carts. Instead, I just use water, unless I'm trying to remove built up juice. I do wipe the outside and mouthpieces/drip tips with alcohol, or a 10% bleach solution during the winter cold and flu season, and then let air dry. Just remember that if you rinse the inside of cartos with water you NEED to dry them, either in a low setting oven for half an hour or wrapped in a sock in the dryer. Water damp carto filler is prone to mold and mildew growth when left to sit too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread