Status
Not open for further replies.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
I have three in different sets of equipment that I rotate among all of the time. One single flavoring, Nature's Flavors Earl Grey Tea, one with 2 flavorings - Inawera Burley tobacco and Menthol, and the newer addition that went from a little bit of mint in unflavored to getting to be a more and more complex mint blend - I still made some up of three variations that I'm comparing. Then I usually have 1 or 2 experiments that I'm trying out. But I recently went ahead and started buying large amounts of the Earl Grey and Burley Tobacco.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
I was packing up things this weekend preparing for a move ad decided to mix up 3x100ml to get through the move and the holidays before I have to mix more. Thinking back today because of this thread I have maybe 7 base recipes. By base I mean like a set flavor base (bubblegum, hard candy (Jolly Rancher), lemonade, minty/cool, cigar) and each will have a variety of recipes for different fruit flavors added (I mainly do fruit flavors). I do have a stand alone recipe, a grapefruit, but though I have 40ish "recipes" I really have 5. Most of my DIY experimenting is adjusting and tweeking the fruit flavors in my bases, sometimes trying different company versions of the same fruit flavors, but am pretty set in what I like and have enough variety to keep from being bored. And really don't experiment much anymore.

I use to try plenty of different recipes and have many bottles of flavors I have used very little of sitting around now and enjoyed the experimentation at the time. But anymore I like spending less time with DIY, I have plenty of other things in life to give time to. Plus buying less flavors but in bulk has reduced my cost, I don't have a single recipe that at 100ml cost more than $2.50 to make.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I mix two recipes each time I mix, about weekly give or take a day. One dessert, one fruit.
I keep two tanks loaded and when one is empty I go to the next.
Where I used to experiment quite a bit, I now have 8 of each type that I mix and match.
This has made me happy for a couple of years now.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
I am so boring. I vape unflavored. Once in a great long while (years!), I might try something else, but I always go back to unflavored. It's easy, and it works for me.

I have so many other things to do that it's hard for me to devote the time to mixing and steeping. Maybe someday...

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I am so boring. I vape unflavored. Once in a great long while (years!), I might try something else, but I always go back to unflavored. It's easy, and it works for me.

I have so many other things to do that it's hard for me to devote the time to mixing and steeping. Maybe someday...

You're Not Boring Just.

Because even though it is an Oxymoron, Unflavored really Is a Flavor.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
You're Not Boring Just.

Because even though it is an Oxymoron, Unflavored really Is a Flavor.

Yes, it's sort of a *flavor*, very mild and unassuming, ever so slightly sweet(ish). Compared to the market these days, most people wouldn't say it's a flavor, though.

Works for me so far!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yes, it's sort of a *flavor*, very mild and unassuming, ever so slightly sweet(ish). Compared to the market these days, most people wouldn't say it's a flavor, though.

Works for me so far!

I do a Lot of Unflavored. Or HOF with Flavored Wicks. In fact, None of my Squonk Bottles have ever seen a Flavored e-Liquid.

Unflavored or HOF is more Refreshing to me. And it is Amazing how much Longer a Coil will last when using Unflavored. Or when you just put the Flavored e-Liquid on the Wick when you prime it.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Am I the only one that vapes the same diy flavor 24/7/365? I have so many concentrates that I have from when I started a couple years ago and just stuck to what worked after a couple months in. I don't know if it's because I got sick of experimenting (Often left dissapointed) or if I just became lazy.

I'm kind of the opposite. I have a lot of concentrates, and... I tend to mix a lot of different things, even if some are just slight tweaks of things I've mixed before.

While there are probably lots of reasons we differ in this respect, there's one in particular I've been thinking about lately, and alluded to in another thread about factory coils vs RTAs vs RDAS vs squonking.

Most of us are former smokers. I started smoking when I was twelve years-old, and smoked for about thirty years. Smoking is, when you think about it, a pretty obsessive activity. When you're a smoker you're so used to its obsessive nature that you can stop noticing it, but... if you were a smoker think about how careful you were to never wind up in a position where you were without cigarettes and couldn't easily get some.

Think about the rituals you had around smoking, both solo rituals like fiddling with lighters, ashtrays, matches, going out for one at certain intervals, all the weird little things you repetitively and obsessively did around smoking, and the social rituals you shared with other smokers, which were infinitely varied, and often very rewarding.

When you give up smoking cold-turkey you don't just give up nicotine. And you don't just give up nicotine plus some other alkaloids. You give up a lot of obsessiveness and ritual and social interaction that you have potentially spent decades training your brain to need. Many of us need something to replace those things.

Different people gravitate toward different new obsessions for... lots of different reasons, I suppose. Some of the hardware threads on this forum are so incredibly specialized and are concerned with such marginal improvements that it's hard to read them as anything other than replacement obsessions...

And, just so, the number of recipes I make, the insane number of little single-flavor testers I have in my cupboards at any given time, etc. are an obsession of their own. An obsession you might not need.

Tbh, if it were just about the nic I could just mix FA Fuji at 2%, or just vape unflavored, and be set for life. But replacing obsessions around smoking with obsessions around mixing works for me. And, as you say, stick with what works ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread