Status
Not open for further replies.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
Is it necessary to keep drop in coils in their blister packs?

I keep all my vape gear in plastic organizers, seems as this would be sufficient to keep coils clean and free of debris. If I can safely take them out of the blister packs it would allow me to store more in the organizer.

I don't do anything special to protect spoils of wire. I do keep bulk cotton in sealed ziplock bags.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
The blister packs are the safest, they will keep them from absorbing moisture in the air and keep them clean. You could take them out of the packs to store them, but it isn't as clean. If the coils are on a strip of blister packs, you could cut it down to individual coils while keeping them sealed in the packs. That could cut down on the wasted space.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
They are in strips but not much space between them, the blister is much bigger than it needs to be. Would be difficult to cut them down with compromising one of the adjacent blisters. It's more the size of the blister that had me thinking about storing out of the blister.
Then it really comes down to what is more important to you, keeping the coils clean and protected from moisture or storage space. If you do store them out of the pack, you may want to consider putting them in a Ziploc bag with the type of coil and any other useful information marked on the bag. That still isn't as good as the blisters, but it would be much better than the coils laying loose in a storage box.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't think I'd take them out of the blister packs, honestly. Not unless you are living in a Tiny House and even then.... You could certainly remove from the packaging and store AS blister packs but really minimizing ANY moisture and general atmospheric conditions may be best.

In all fairness, I am not necessarily known as the Queen of Solutions of Storage, either. Number of times I have been allowed to pack my OWN moving truck: 0 out of 15 times.

Anna

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
At home, it's not an issue, live in a big house with lots of large tackle boxes full of vape gear stored in my den. But there are 4 to 6 months out of the year I live in 40' motorhome which is smaller than a very small house, under 400 sqft.

This is what it looks like to be a gadget addicted vaper on the road. In Tampa these days.

Guess I'm leaving them in the blister packs

Attachments

• IMG_2139.JPG
    IMG_2139.JPG
    872.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2140.JPG
    900.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2141.JPG
    IMG_2141.JPG
    828.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2143.JPG
    IMG_2143.JPG
    389.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2144.JPG
    IMG_2144.JPG
    669.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
How long do you want to store them? If you've got a lot of coils (and a lot of $ invested in them), it might be worth testing the concept. De-blister a pack or two, store them as long as you're likely to, and see how they work. If they're good, you'll know your storage is fine without the blister pack for next year. If they're not, see what you can do to protect them better.

I also think Zaryk's suggestion of a ziploc baggie is a good one, especially if you're travelling through dusty or humid areas.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
I'm not too concerned about dust but I do travel throughout the southeast with high humidity.

I like your idea. I think I will take 2 of each coil type out of the blister packs and store them loose inside my storage box. Will wait 3 months and vape one then vape the other at 6 months.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
At home, it's not an issue, live in a big house with lots of large tackle boxes full of vape gear stored in my den. But there are 4 to 6 months out of the year I live in 40' motorhome which is smaller than a very small house, under 400 sqft.

This is what it looks like to be a gadget addicted vaper on the road. In Tampa these days.

Guess I'm leaving them in the blister packs
You have a good amount unused headspace on that shelf in the 1st pic. Keep the coils in the boxes and layer all but a couple boxes up the side of one of the walls.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think silica is a great idea, I do also think you'd need some way of storing the coils IN the silica, in order for it to work. IDK if there's some way to tag or ID them for different resistances/types in one bag, or if you'd need a few ziplock bags but if it were me and I had this problem I have a feeling that silica plus storage item of some sort (even if ziplock) would make me a whole lot more comfortable. I also think your idea of testing the coils at 3 then 6 months for future travels is a great idea. Etc.

Best of luck, etc.

Anna

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
I remove all my coils and store them in plastic cases all marked with the ohms they are. I have about 6 or 7 hundred and about thirty different styles. I have never had a problem with dirt or moisture. But then again I smoked for 42 years so what is a little dirt. Vaping is not like taking vitamins. LOL

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
I remove all my coils and store them in plastic cases all marked with the ohms they are. I have about 6 or 7 hundred and about thirty different styles. I have never had a problem with dirt or moisture. But then again I smoked for 42 years so what is a little dirt. Vaping is not like taking vitamins. LOL
Good to know. Are your case air tight or not?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think you are going to have to make the decision on this one yourself and etc.

Maybe the first time around, try a few of the different methods suggested and see which one works best? I mean, everyone sort of has their own tolerances for "level of grime." I'm personally against taking them out of the blister packs, but also wouldn't view it as a cardinal sin either. I'm also VERY much in favor of travelling around via RV, so do what you can to keep them as neat and orderly as you can, and have fun that's the main part.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread