Stored nicotine liquid in plastic containers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
I've heard that nicotine reacts with plastic. I have several 50mg bottles of nic that arrived in plastic containers. They have been in my refrigerator for about 3 years now. I should have transferred the liquid to glass bottles, but I didn't. Should I dump this liquid and purchase new stock, or is this liquid okay to use?

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I've not heard of nicotine reacting with plastic, although I suppose it would depend on the type of plastic. The common concern is that the plastics that nicotine is often sold in are (slightly) oxygen permeable, and oxygen degrades nicotine. I'd probably try it out, though there could be changes in the taste and strength. Or not.

• Informative
Reactions: jcoopercam

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I've heard that nicotine reacts with plastic. I have several 50mg bottles of nic that arrived in plastic containers. They have been in my refrigerator for about 3 years now. I should have transferred the liquid to glass bottles, but I didn't. Should I dump this liquid and purchase new stock, or is this liquid okay to use?

If you can Afford it, I would.

We're kinda at the End of the Road as we know it. And in a Very Short Time, getting your hands on More Nicotine Base may be Problematic.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Plastic bottles that nic is shipped in are HDPE #2 plastic. They are usually shipped in opaque white or opaque black, but could also be shipped in semi-translucent bottles. They are all most likely HDPE #2 regardless of color.

Some say that HDPE #2 plastic is "food safe", which is correct - it has in fact been categorized as such. However, that doesn't mean that it's safe to vape an inhalant that has been stored in it for a long length of time.

Quick story: a few months ago I was going through a backpack and found a 30ml bottle of peppermint ejuice I filled for a trip I took about 2 years ago. The bottle was one of those soft, semi-translucent LDPE bottles, not the clear, hard PET bottles. It looked just fine and I had vaped old juice before (but not that old) so I tried it without even smelling it :oops:.

I thought it was fine at first but that's because my wick was still saturated with new juice. But in about 10-20 puffs from that RTA, I started tasting this nasty flowery taste and I started feeling nauseated. Then I actually decided to smell the juice and sure enough it had that same smell I was tasting. So I threw the bottle out and had to clean and rebuild that RTA.

I believe it was obvious that leeching had occurred. Was is the nic that caused it or would this have happened even if it was 0 nic juice? I don't know the answer to that.

That bottle of juice was never refrigerated or frozen. It just sat in that backpack for somewhere around 2 years, maybe a few months longer or shorter. But one thing's for sure, it never saw any light during that time.

Take from this story what you want. Just one person's experience. And yes, I realize that HDPE and LDPE are not the same, I get it. But I simply do not trust plastics when storing eliquid or nicotine now. In fact, last year I stockpiled 2 gallons each of PG and VG because of scarcity concerns due to covid and after this incident I transferred that PG and VG to mason jars and store them in my refrigerator. I even store my flavorings in glass bottles if they are shipped to me in plastic.

Should you throw-out that 3 liters of nic base? I can't answer that for you, but I just wanted you to know my experience. For starters, I would definitely at least smell it and then go from there.

bsidb

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 10, 2012
    Leroy,NY
    id use it first with my scenes on high alert and buy myself more. if its ok you'll have a larger stash if it taste off or like plastic youll be glad you bought more but i would have checked yesterday

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

Some say that HDPE #2 plastic is "food safe", which is correct - it has in fact been categorized as such. However, that doesn't mean that it's safe to vape an inhalant that has been stored in it for a long length of time.

That's kinda the Inconvenient Truth about Nicotine and "Food Grade" Plastics.

Here's another little Factoid that should be considered...

When people talk about "Food Grade", what they are saying is that the "Food" you put into the Contain should be "Safe" for the Normal Life of the Product. Not Forever. Not under All Circumstances. For the Life of the Product.

So if a Product is going to go Bad in 12 Months, you Don't need a Plastic that is Chemically Stable for Much Longer than that. Or as long as any Leached Levels of Chemicals in that 12 Months don't exceed some Standard that the All Knowledgeable FDA has established.

Long Term Storage of Nicotine in Plastics is (IMO) a Bad Idea. Especially if a Year from Now get Replacement Nicotine might Not be Possible.

NCC

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    One other thing to consider is the temperature of storage. If there is any leaching or chemical activity, it will absolutely be happening at a rate that decreases with temperature. Storing in a deep freeze below 0ºF, even in plastic, should have greatly reduced concern, imo.

mcduffy

ECF Veteran
  • Jul 9, 2017
    FWIW, a month ago I finished off the last of some VG nic that was stored in PET plastic at room temp since I received it on April Fools Day of 2018. I haven't perceived any ill effects from vaping it these past years. The color had become deep amber and it had that AP-like Frito/gym-sock smell, but the difference in taste when vaped unflavored compared to fresh nic was so slight that I'm not sure if it's just imagined.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    Maybe I should just dump it. It's not that expensive, and I don't like the idea of inhaling something that could cause some sort of reaction down the road.

They are from 2017! :unsure:
    S2Hzc5U.jpg

jx03BgU.jpg

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Maybe I should just dump it. It's not that expensive, and I don't like the idea of inhaling something that could cause some sort of reaction down the road.

They are from 2017! :unsure:
    S2Hzc5U.jpg

jx03BgU.jpg

I would.

Get some New Nicotine and put it in 8oz Glass Bottles with Poly-Cone Caps. Then stick all but 1 Bottle in the Freezer. And put the other Bottle in the Frig for when you need to do DIY.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I'm not comfortable with freezing glass; unless I'm certain of its quality. Especially when it comes to storing 100mg nic liquid. Much of the China made ceramic I've worked with is 'tea cup' grade at best. I've been keeping my liquids in the refrigerator.

People have been using boston rounds from Glass Bottle Outlet, Essential Depot, and other sources to store nic in their freezers for many years now without issue. PG & VG don't freeze solid, stay liquid down to sub-zero temperatures. No household freezer you will ever own have will ever reach their freezing points. Solid freezing point for PG is something like -70F or colder and I think it's under -30F for VG.

These mass market boston rounds are not made in the USA judging from the prices, but I don't believe they are made in China either. Would cost probably $20/bottle if made in the USA.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I'm not comfortable with freezing glass; unless I'm certain of its quality. Especially when it comes to storing 100mg nic liquid. Much of the China made ceramic I've worked with is 'tea cup' grade at best. I've been keeping my liquids in the refrigerator.

I really Wouldn't Worry about it.

I have been here on the ECF for a Long Time. And I have Only seen 2 or 3 reports of people having a problem with Glass Breaking. And 1 of the People I kinda Question if it Wasn't User Error vs a problem with the Glass Bottles?

Anyway, I put Each Bottle in a Zip-Lock Freezer Bag before I put them in the Freezer. Just Incase I'm going to be One of those 0.02 Percenters.

So Far so Good.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If you do buy glass bottles, just make sure you inspect them whne you get them as you may have a cracked one (never know). I only say that because they way they come shipped is kinda less-than ideal. They come in a cardboard box and the only thing separating them is a piece of card stock (aka thick paper).

If you want a list of links for bottles from GBO that I have bought, see my nic base blog post. The list of bottle links is hear the bottom.

• Informative

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread