Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
1. Should I fully charge It or deplete it

50% charge is recommended for long-term storage of batteries.

How often should I check on it

No idea, honestly, twice a year, every 4 months? Most of my internal battery mods are usually in use or on standby as backups.

How long will it last

@Shawn Hoefer Shawn will know. He has a lot of mods. :D

I don't think there's way to predict it. Good mods will last for years--I have a couple of Innokins and one Eleaf iStick that get no use any more but still will take a charge. But I don't know how well they would work. Batteries do not last forever.

Or should I throw it away and be done with it
Don't throw it away. It's always good to have backups. Or PIF it and help a fellow vaper in need. Pay It Forward - PIF

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I would say start with 50% to 75% and check on it every couple of months and recharge as necessary. If it is still pretty close to the same level after 2 months you can extend the time between checks. If you forget about it and let the batteries drain too low they will not be usable anymore.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I just bought a new mod and I'm going to stash away my Istick Basic,
what would be the best and safest way to store the mod and

1. Should I fully charge It or deplete it
2. How often should I check on it
3. How long will it last
4. Or should I throw it away and be done with it

Li-ion batteries do best in storage if they are around half charged, at about 3.8V. They discharge very slowly. I have a few in storage and I check them about every 6 months. These are not in a mod.

The thing is, with built in battery mods the mod may still discharge the battery(s) slightly even when it is shut off. If your mod gives you only a pictorial indication of charge level which I think yours does, I suggest you shut it down with a charge level that clearly shows a slightly less than full charge and check it weekly for a month. If it does discharge quicker than anticipated you will see it by then and can plan accordingly going forward.

With mods that read battery voltage in numbers it's much easier. Check it weekly a couple of times and you should have a pretty good idea of how it behaves.

Keep in mind that as you vape these batteries go from fully charged at close to 4.2V down to about 3.9V fairly quickly, spend a lot more time between 3.9-3.8V and then drop faster again. I consider 3.4V pretty much fully discharged. Voltage is obviously not going to help you if the mod does read volts, but this still gives you an idea of how Li-ion batteries discharge which can help you out in either case.

I have Li-ion batteries that are over 3 years old that are still very good.

Good luck with it :thumb:

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
50% charge is recommended for long-term storage of batteries.

No idea, honestly, twice a year, every 4 months? Most of my internal battery mods are usually in use or on standby as backups.

@Shawn Hoefer Shawn will know. He has a lot of mods. :D

I don't think there's way to predict it. Good mods will last for years--I have a couple of Innokins and one Eleaf iStick that get no use any more but still will take a charge. But I don't know how well they would work. Batteries do not last forever.

Don't throw it away. It's always good to have backups. Or PIF it and help a fellow vaper in need. Pay It Forward - PIF
Set 'em on the shelf around 50-75%. If you've got the space to leave it out, check it monthly. No sense in getting complacent and losing it altogether.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
If you are after longevity in storage, leave the mod charged at 3.9 Volt per cell, and top up every three months.
Temperature is important, never ever store above 25 C. If you live where summers are at 35 C, you need to top up every month. But, the storage life of your mod will be about half.

I am forgetful, and have a lot of internal battery mods in my collection.
I don't care of longevity, as I replace the internal batteries, in the mods I value most, after three years.
Therefore, I charge them at 4.2 V (100%) every three months, even if this will shorten battery life somewhat. In this way, I can use them without charging them first.
A recommendation. Beware of standby power consumption of a mod. Some are just excessive, in that case the mod is not fit for long term storage.
Another recommendation, this time about multiple Li-Po packs, especially the 3s. As in the eLeaf 200QC, some DNAs, Dotmod, etc. I keep a special eye on those batteries, as they get out of balance if you look funny at them.
If you want play safe, long term store only single cell mod.
What has behaved best for me, and I vouch for, is the Smok R80, Smok Q-box, the iStick 20W, the newer eLeaf 80 W (it uses a single 5000 mah cell which is 4000 mah), the Kanger k-box. Testing lately the V-Fin, I can't vouch for it yet.
Good luck...

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I got rid of my internal ones - gave them away - and held onto just one. I carry it in my purse as an emergency backup. I try to remember to charge it monthly, then I vape on it for a bit to get it down to an estimated 50 to 75% and then put it back away. And I think I will probably give that away. I carry enough spare batteries on me that I should not need it.

I also always have a power bank charger on me and if all of my batteries died and I was totally desperate for a vape with no store in sight I could charge it via the USB.

For some reason, I am scared of internal mods. In my purse, I feel safer removing batteries from my mod and keeping the batteries in a case.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: dwcraig1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread