Studies on the gateway effect of vaping and adolescents

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
If nicotine is as addictive as the "experts" say, then why is it that many vapers have been able to reduce their nicotine usage over time. Some even go down to zero nic. If nicotine is that addictive, wouldn't one expect the converse to be true.

Amen, brother.

The quit smoking industry claimed cutting down never worked (other than for 1% or something) so told us to go Turkey or Patch or Madness Pills.

Vapers across the world (many thousands, possibly) are dropping Nicotine faster than most of us ever expected.
What they are not generally doing is cutting back on the physical act of puffing.

To my mind, this says a lot about what we are all doing; it's driven more by behavior than the actual need for Nicotine.

Not so long ago Nicotine was often described as one of the most addictive substances known to man.
What a load of rubbish that is. If so, you'd NEVER be able to backtrack....never. N.E.V.E.R....

They also said Nicotine users were addicted forever even if they quit smoking. How do we explain the thousands of Zero Nicotine vapers... are they pretending to be doing OK out there in vaping land?

Really... the world is truly lost in it's understanding of the real story.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
If nicotine is as addictive as the "experts" say, then why is it that many vapers have been able to reduce their nicotine usage over time. Some even go down to zero nic. If nicotine is that addictive, wouldn't one expect the converse to be true.
Because they are using study data taken from cigarettes and not nicotine on its own.. Smoking and its additives actually creates the addiction, it can alter your dna making changes to your brain chemistry..

Roughly 10% of a cigarette by weight is additives :X

Study on additives
Pharmacological and Chemical Effects of Cigarette Additives

KurtF

Jan 15, 2017
North Carolina, USA
Cool. ECF has been running a poll since March 2010 about member's nic use with vapors. Apparently, less than 10% of us smoke nic free. 30% Sometimes group may contain addicts who've tried to quit, but no counting how many. Then there's my crowd: 60% #HellNoDon'tTakeMyNic.

Do you use zero nic e-liquid?
Do you use zero Nic e-liquid
  1. I ONLY vape zero-nicotine
    169 vote(s) 9.6%
  2. I SOMETIMES vape zero-nic
    536 vote(s) 30.3%
  3. *I NEVER vape zero-nic
    1,066 vote(s) 60.3%

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Cool. ECF has been running a poll since March 2010 about member's nic use with vapors. Apparently, less than 10% of us smoke nic free. 30% Sometimes group may contain addicts who've tried to quit, but no counting how many. Then there's my crowd: 60% #HellNoDon'tTakeMyNic.

Do you use zero nic e-liquid?
Do you use zero Nic e-liquid
  1. I ONLY vape zero-nicotine
    169 vote(s) 9.6%
  2. I SOMETIMES vape zero-nic
    536 vote(s) 30.3%
  3. *I NEVER vape zero-nic
    1,066 vote(s) 60.3%
What percentage of the respondents do you think previously smoked cigarettes?

KurtF

Jan 15, 2017
North Carolina, USA
What percentage of respondents do you think would suffer some sort of withdrawal symptom(s) if they went to 0 nic juice, all else equal?

Better yet... of all the people vaping nic, and were told at some point by a doctor that their nic intake is aggravating their heart/blood pressure/whatever condition and they need to quit nic or else suffer risk to function or life, how many in those shoes would be unable to quit for years?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
What percentage of respondents do you think would suffer some sort of withdrawal symptom(s) if they went to 0 nic juice, all else equal?

Better yet... of all the people vaping nic, and were told at some point by a doctor that their nic intake is aggravating their heart/blood pressure/whatever condition and they need to quit nic or else suffer risk to function or life, how many in those shoes would be unable to quit for years?
I think you're missing the point. Tobacco Smokers are undoubtedly addicted, and nicotine alleviates that, for some. The question is if people who have never smoked, or otherwise used tobacco, will get addicted to nicotine, and the research(as limited as it is) points to no.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I've switched to 0 nic several times (1 week once) and had about the same symptoms I get from caffeine withdrawal... Not at all the same as when I ran out of smokes and very tolerable...

I had no intentions of giving up on nicotine though I enjoy the stimulant effects of it part of the reason I was smoking 40-60 cigarettes a day...

Reactions: Lessifer

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I think you're missing the point. Tobacco Smokers are undoubtedly addicted, and nicotine alleviates that, for some. The question is if people who have never smoked, or otherwise used tobacco, will get addicted to nicotine, and the research(as limited as it is) points to no.

If you read "The Patch" Pamphlet it shows that the patch isn't hasn't been known to be addictive, furthermore when they did nicotine studies on people with Alzheimer's even with high doses of nicotine none of the patients showed withdrawal symptoms even after 6 months of use...

Like I said above it is smoking that creates the addiction.... Nicotine on its own isn't very addictive... This guy seems to be trolling you or simply has bought into bullplop...

medleypat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2016
Frankfort Indiana
Ok. Then how do you feel about National Institute of Health, Mayo Clinic, World Health Org, and the consensus between those 3 and other independent and more credible science sources?

"Most smokers use tobacco regularly because they are addicted to nicotine. Addiction is characterized by compulsive drug seeking and abuse, even in the face of negative health consequences..."
Is Nicotine Addictive?

"Nicotine dependence ― also called tobacco dependence ― is an addiction to tobacco products caused by the drug nicotine. Nicotine dependence means you can't stop using the substance, even though it's causing you harm..."
Overview - Nicotine dependence - Mayo Clinic

"Addiction to tobacco kills one person prematurely every six seconds. One in two long-term smokers—largely in low- and middle-income countries —will die from tobacco addiction.1,2 This epidemic reflects the highly addictive nature of tobacco, and specifically of nicotine, its principal addicting component..."
http://www.who.int/tobacco/publications/gender/en_tfi_gender_women_addiction_nicotine.pdf

Of course, like alcohol, not everyone is or gets addicted to nic who uses it. Addictivity is about how large a percentage of users who try it can't stop using without withdrawal, and about how strong the compulsion gets in those who are addicted.

I suppose there were those once who insisted that alcohol wasn't addictive... it was just beer drinking. "I'll switch to whiskey before they throw me in jail. " Actually, I'm addicted to both alcohol and nic. After loosing half my life to it, I finally took my last drink in March 2000. Nic, on the other hand, has not been as easy to put down as that which destroyed half my life before I could even admit it. So it is with addiction.
Those studies if you read were based on people smoking cigs I can find no study using nic in a vaper form plus if it is so addicting how are capers able to lower their nic some to 0 plus look at who funded those studies. Also as I understand it nic has a calming effect on the brain. Nic pills are sometimes prescribed to people with mental problems.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
"Nicotine is evil" has been ground into brains for so long...some people have a difficult time accepting that they have been lied to (for decades).

It also seems to me that it saves people taking up against the tobacco companies.
I mean, if you say it's the Nicotine and this is the drug they sell to you, then you can do more or less what you want with the other chemicals to make the addiction worse and nobody thinks to question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread