Study finds US and Canadian smoking cessation counselors are badly misinformed about vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Study finds US and Canadian smoking cessation counselors ignorant about vaping, finds:
- 97% were instructed to tell smokers that e-cigarettes are not approved by FDA,
- 74% were instructed to recommend FDA approved drugs instead of vaping,
- nearly 70% inaccurately believed vapor products don’t’ help people quit smoking,
- 71% inaccurately believed secondhand vapor aerosol is harmful (despite no evidence),
- 87% inaccurately believed vapor products are addictive (despite no evidence), and
- 87% believed e-cigs should banned by FDA, taxed, and that vaping should be banned.
Elsevier: Article Locator

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Study finds US and Canadian smoking cessation counselors ignorant about vaping, finds:
- 97% were instructed to tell smokers that e-cigarettes are not approved by FDA,
- 74% were instructed to recommend FDA approved drugs instead of vaping,
- nearly 70% inaccurately believed vapor products don’t’ help people quit smoking,
- 71% inaccurately believed secondhand vapor aerosol is harmful (despite no evidence),
- 87% inaccurately believed vapor products are addictive (despite no evidence), and
- 87% believed e-cigs should banned by FDA, taxed, and that vaping should be banned.
Elsevier: Article Locator
- 91% believe what they tell smokers.
- 7% drink too much to know what they're told to say, and what they tell smokers.
- 2% are serial scam artists.

VictorC

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Ontario
Re: - 87% believed e-cigs should banned by FDA, taxed, and that vaping should be banned.

I am not surprised. Not just Big Pharmas are afraid to lose money.

Smoking cessation counsellors are also afraid to lose their steady and predictable income generated by returning patients who are trying to quit smoking by using traditional methods.
A steady revenue is mostly funded by the government in my country. Just a few programs available in one small city:
Canadian Cancer Society Smokers’ Helpline
Pharmacists’ Smoking Cessation Program
Family Health Teams’ (FHTs) Quit Smoking Programs
Heart Institute Quit Smoking Program
Nicotine Anonymous – Community Centre

If I would be an individual on the payroll in one the programs, I would fight e-cigs fiercely.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
If I would be an individual on the payroll in one the programs, I would fight e-cigs fiercely.
You sure you would? I wouldn't. Then again, I would never work for the anti-nicotine cult, and I figure you probably wouldn't either.

VictorC

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Ontario
Of course not. I am just thinking how many medical professionals, lawyers, scientists, insurance companies, public organizations, etc., are making a living off other people smoking and dying...They need either to keep a fight with an old evil alive or create a new one. Wouldn't be surprised to see "vaping cessation counselling programs" in the near future.

Last edited:

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
Day one:
Admit you are powerless in the face of the propaganda machine, and begin Chantix regimen.
Day two:
Beg for forgiveness of your sins and take your Chantix.
Day three: Take the gun out of your dresser drawer and blow yourself to kingdom come. There--one less smoker to worry about. :smokie::-x:nah: /sarcasm

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Of course not. I am just thinking how many medical professionals, lawyers, scientists, insurance companies, public organizations, etc., are making a living off other people smoking and dying...

Rubbish. People will continue to die even if they don't smoke. You must think they won't, or else that smokers die twice or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread