Stumpy drip tip/adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocket City
I'm not familiar with the stumpy atty, but if the original drip tip adapter you lost is just an 810-to-510 adapter

It's not. I bought some 810 adapters and they are too big. About 1mm larger than the opening in the stumpy (11.5mm vs 12.5mm)

Surprised you don't remember it. Hugely popular in the 2014 time frame.
If you can't find one elsewhere, might be easier to pick up a clone from one of the Chinese sites and use the parts from that?

Mine is a clone. But no one has even had a clone for several years now. Listings are all out of stock/discontinued.

ducasse

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2020
Drammen, Norway
www.reddit.com
It's not. I bought some 810 adapters and they are too big. About 1mm larger than the opening in the stumpy (11.5mm vs 12.5mm)

Surprised you don't remember it. Hugely popular in the 2014 time frame.

Mine is a clone. But no one has even had a clone for several years now. Listings are all out of stock/discontinued.

Then I'd suggest 3D printing or looking for one second hand, there are several BST channels on Discord. If you can find someone who has one and can give you dimensions, they shouldn't be hard to print.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Or maybe a source for tips that fit w/o the adapter.

Doubt you'll find anything but 810 and 510 drip tips anywhere. Those are the standards and save for maybe a few ouliers like the stumpy. All the manufactures use the standard sizes.

I'm wondering if it may be possible to just use a 510 drip tip without the adapter by changing the orings out for thicker ones. What would work best is to find silicone bands instead, but those are hard to find in correct sizes, if you can find them at all.

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2013
    Rocket City
    Then I'd suggest 3D printing or looking for one second hand, there are several BST channels on Discord. If you can find someone who has one and can give you dimensions, they shouldn't be hard to print.

BST?

I'm not really a Discord user. I have the dimensions. Was just hoping to find a source for the parts.

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2013
    Rocket City
    Doubt you'll find anything but 810 and 510 drip tips anywhere. Those are the standards and save for maybe a few ouliers like the stumpy. All the manufactures use the standard sizes.

I believe this originated before 810 was a standard. Early days of wide bore.
    Early 2015 I think. I bought my clone in 2016 and I believe Element mods had quit making them by that point.

I'm wondering if it may be possible to just use a 510 drip tip without the adapter by changing the o-rings out for thicker ones.[/QUOTE]

My measurement of the opening matches what I found in an old thread.
    "Hole in cap 11.5mm, ST is 11.3mm"

As I recall 510 tips are 9.5mm. that's a considerable gap to take up with an oring or similar.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    As I recall 510 tips are 9.5mm. that's a considerable gap to take up with an oring or similar.
    Maybe a piece of a rubber band or cable tie or something can be put inside the ID of the atty as a spacer of sorts. A 510 might be usable in that case..

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

As long as you use a dual oring drip tip, my suggestion to use a 510 DT with larger orings should work well enough and be stable enough to keep using your stumpy. All you need is 1mm more to fill-in all around - orings come in a lot of different thicknesses and sizes. I use oringsandmore.com. Get a 510 drip tip, remove the orings, measure the thickness & ID, then find an oring that has the same ID but 1mm thicker.

I know it sucks when you have something you love and you lose a part or it breaks, but you have to come to terms with it and either do what you have to do to fix it or bid it farewell and buy something more modern that doesn't have proprietary sized drip tips.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I just measure the connection of one of my 510 drip tips. without oring it was 7.7mm and with it it was 8.6mm.

Checked a different one and I got 8.3mm without oring and 8.7mm with oring.

So you definitely want to measure your own stuff. These things are not truly "standard", just approximately standard. For instance, many Aspire "510" drip tips from Aspire tanks are slightly thicker and will not fit in 99% of other 510 attys.

Last edited:

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2013
    Rocket City
    I use oringsandmore.com.
    I'll check them out. I have a few other o-rings I need to get spares of.

but you have to come to terms with it and either do what you have to do to fix it or bid it farewell and buy something more modern that doesn't have proprietary sized drip tips.

Still kicking myself for not buying a 2nd back then. I bought 2 of the others I use a lot (Derringer and NarDa). When I went to get a 2nd everything was out.

I have an alternate plan or two. One is make a tip that fits instead of the adapter. Shouldn't be hard to turn down a plastic 810 DT to fit on my drill press (I just prefer metal tips). Alternate is open up the cap to fit an 810 adapter (need to triple check but I think 1/2" hole will do it)
    The latter is probably the better long term solution.

I just wanted to explore other options, especially before making a permanent modification.

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2013
    Rocket City
    without oring it was 7.7mm and with it it was 8.6mm.

Checked a different one and I got 8.3mm without oring and 8.7mm with oring.

So I guess it's supposed to 8.5mm (nominal) not 9.5mm Typical of my memory...

The 7.7mm one must have pretty think o-rings compared to the other (and the ones I have).

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015

I just verified by phone...that a vendor in the US has 4 of the Element Mods Stumpy RDAs, in SS, definitely In Stock. If you'll PM me, I can give you the specific details about how to get 1 or more of them. They no longer sell/ship through their website, but there IS another way to accomplish it.

Reactions: gloopdegurp

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2013
    Rocket City
    Get a cheap digital caliper at Harbor Freight, should be in almost every vaper's toolbox.
    Well I have cheap digital calipers. Also good dial calipers, good veneer calipers, and a decent 1" micrometer from my machinist days.

I used the cheap calipers to measure the opening in the cap and the 810 adapters.

I just didn't measure a 510 tip before posting, going off memory. ;)

My point was there's a nominal size that 510 should be. Poor tolerance leads to out of spec parts, but there is a nominal size.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread