Stupid required posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocket City
I really don't have anything to post in a generic Newbie forum.

But the mods implemented a goof rule to make me post junk before I can actually post in the right forums.

I've had a few forums that moderated posts, or didn't allow PMs until you had a few posts, but never have I seen a site limit posting to a Newbie section.

CKCalmer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
My mancave
It's to protect against spammers coming in, creating a new account, and immediately covering all the forums with their spam. It's not a perfect solution, and it's a bit of an impediment to legitimate new members who want to jump into the other forums, but I think it's a valid step on the part of the ECF mods and admins to impede the hordes of mega-spammers out there who would love to blanket ECF with hundreds of threads spamming their products.

Five posts doesn't seem to me to be too much to ask.

dopamine1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2014
ohio
I've moderated forums like this before and the spam can very hard to deal with when it's not confined to a specific area. This site is HUGE, I don't even know how many sub forums are here, it's got to be over 100. That would make it a nightmare to try and find it all, especially if people aren't very proactive about reporting it.

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocket City
Let me guess; you want to know what set up you need to blow clouds?

Not at all interest in sub ohm stuff.
I rebuild my BCC with 2ohm coils and call it a day.

If I want clouds I'll light a good cigar or my pipe.

Honestly I wanted to post in a vendor forum to ask about their products.
Instead I have to futz around in here first.

Last edited:

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocket City
I've moderated forums like this before and the spam can very hard to deal with when it's not confined to a specific area. This site is HUGE, I don't even know how many sub forums are here, it's got to be over 100. That would make it a nightmare to try and find it all, especially if people aren't very proactive about reporting it.

Don't each of the sub-forums have moderators oriented to the topic?

Dunno, HowardForums does alright just limiting hot links and PMs.
Then again, they only have 1.1 million members.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA

But the mods implemented a goof rule to make me post junk before I can actually post in the right forums.

I've had a few forums that moderated posts, or didn't allow PMs until you had a few posts, but never have I seen a site limit posting to a Newbie section.

It took you ten months to get worked up to posting... that?

Better go have a read here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...262-new-members-how-many-posts-do-i-need.html

And this may be of some help: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-forum-rules/51178-forum-rules.html

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri

You don't have anything to post, but you posted "junk" anyway because they "made you" do it. I applaud your creativity and eagerly await future contributions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread