Status
Not open for further replies.

lightbud404

Serial Vapist
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2013
Atlanta, GA
What exactly do you guys use to measure your resistance on sub-ohm builds? I saw many local sub-ohmers using the generic ohm meters. Specs state that the accuracy is +/-0.2 but based on the 3 tests I did vs. an actual volt meter, the results came back with a discrepancy of +/-1.5.

Isn't that something to worry about, especially on sub-ohm vaping?

ps: post a link and/or pardon if this subject has already been covered.

If the error on those is 1.5, there's something very, very wrong. I'd contact RTD and discuss it with them because it sounds like you might have gotten a defective item.

Alternately, your coil might be making intermittent contact if the numbers are gyrating around like children playing tag. But if the display is stable and not changing, something isn't right.

Personally, I'm a fan of a hand-held ohm tester like Harbor Freight has--you can also get them at K-Mart, probably at Sears, and at any Home Depot, Lowe's, or your locally-owned and operated hardware store. In addition to ohms, they can test voltage, and have typical errors in the 0.1 range or less.

Please note that most inexpensive meters don't self-zero, so you'll want to touch the leads together and read the resistance. That's the amount to subtract from any reading you take with your meter.

lightbud404

Serial Vapist
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2013
Atlanta, GA
If the error on those is 1.5, there's something very, very wrong. I'd contact RTD and discuss it with them because it sounds like you might have gotten a defective item.

Alternately, your coil might be making intermittent contact if the numbers are gyrating around like children playing tag. But if the display is stable and not changing, something isn't right.
the box meters/generics used for the said test were owned by different individuals so i'm not sure where they were acquired from or who made them. I just made an assumption that there's probably 1 or 2 manufacturers for the actual circuitry in those boxes.
and rest assured that I had a stable reading on both the box and voltmeter.

Personally, I'm a fan of a hand-held ohm tester like Harbor Freight has--you can also get them at K-Mart, probably at Sears, and at any Home Depot, Lowe's, or your locally-owned and operated hardware store. In addition to ohms, they can test voltage, and have typical errors in the 0.1 range or less.
Please note that most inexpensive meters don't self-zero, so you'll want to touch the leads together and read the resistance. That's the amount to subtract from any reading you take with your meter
same here, never had the need for the generics myself. I got curious and just happened to test my rda on a fellow vapors meter and the result kept demanding for answers. 3 generics later, I'm sort of sold on this conspiracy theory :)

I'd really appreciate it if someone who has both devices tried a sub-ohm reading and reported back with results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread