Sub Ohm - will my device blow up?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryW

Dec 7, 2016
Hello my names Harry and I am Brand new to the sub ohm vaping scene... in using a smok baby beast with a 0.4ohm coil and a corsa mini battery/mod thingy(can you tell I'm new yet)
Only vaping to quit smoking. My corsa mini goes up to 80 watts.
The 0.4ohm coil says I'm good to vape up too 100 watts. But best at 55-65W. I just want to make sure it won't blow up in my face and if there's anything I can do to prevent my eye brows from disappearing

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Hi and welcome! The best way to keep your eyebrows from disappearing is to only let your barber trim them, not yourself. If the corsa mini (sorry no idea what that is as it may be specific to your location) is designed to go up to 80W, and you have an authentic name brand battery rated at 20A, you'll be fine at 55-65W. although you'll probably be changing batteries frequently if it's a single 18650 mod. The advantage in 2 and 3 battery mods is not just higher power, but also longer run times at higher power,

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK
Thank you all very much, I'm from the UK and I got the corsa mini off a website, I think it was from totally wicked.com :) as long as my eye brows are safe I am happy

I'm from the UK also (Birmingham). your eyebrows will be fine, I promise, lol :) Looks a nice mod the Corsa mini (Looks like they have a micro version aswell).

Reactions: Eskie

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hello my names Harry and I am Brand new to the sub ohm vaping scene... in using a smok baby beast with a 0.4ohm coil and a corsa mini battery/mod thingy(can you tell I'm new yet)
The 0.4ohm coil says I'm good to vape up too 100 watts. But best at 55-65W. I just want to make sure it won't blow up in my face and if there's anything I can do to prevent my eye brows from disappearing

Regulated mods are not so much a problem

The problem is mech mods particularly faux hydrids.. Mechs where the 510 makes direct contact with the battery.

If you have a good 18650 20 amp battery Samsung, LG, or Sony yoy can safelt vape at .25 ohm.

If you want to go stupid low .1 or .05 ohms you need a super battery.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015

IMO... the singular advantage to a built-in LiPo battery, is that an honest, reliable manufacturer will design it with a battery that can handle the entire wattage the mod is built to provide.
The same cannot be said for removable battery mods where the user might insert any old battery with who knows what capabilities.
(Coil resistance only enters the calculation for mechanical mods, a regulated isolates that value from the battery. Use however low the mod circuit is designed to allow, if you wish).

The downsides to a built-in are... when the battery ages and dies, for most people that's it, it's a paperweight; and when you've flatted that 2400 mAh cell with those 80 watts (that'll happen fast)... you can't just pop in a fresh battery.

You're good to go... enjoy. :D

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I suspec
IMO... the singular advantage to a built-in LiPo battery, is that an honest, reliable manufacturer will design it with a battery that can handle the entire wattage the mod is built to provide.
The same cannot be said for removable battery mods where the user might insert any old battery with who knows what capabilities.
(Coil resistance only enters the calculation for mechanical mods, a regulated isolates that value from the battery. Use however low the mod circuit is designed to allow, if you wish).

The downsides to a built-in are... when the battery ages and dies, for most people that's it, it's a paperweight; and when you've flatted that 2400 mAh cell with those 80 watts (that'll happen fast)... you can't just pop in a fresh battery.

You're good to go... enjoy. :D
I think most people get their money's worth from mods with built in batteries. Here in the US we have the concern that our dear, dear government may restrict access to vaping products so many be we should be buying mods with replacable batteries. But I've been thinking that if bans do happen it should still be possible to find someone qualified to remove the worn out battery from built in mods and replace with like kind and quality. I'm just saying, don't throw away mods with built in batteries just in case new ones stop being available. If it wasn't for possible government interference I'd prefer to see all new vapers using mods with built in batteries.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
I suspec

I think most people get their money's worth from mods with built in batteries. Here in the US we have the concern that our dear, dear government may restrict access to vaping products so many be we should be buying mods with replacable batteries. But I've been thinking that if bans do happen it should still be possible to find someone qualified to remove the worn out battery from built in mods and replace with like kind and quality. I'm just saying, don't throw away mods with built in batteries just in case new ones stop being available. If it wasn't for possible government interference I'd prefer to see all new vapers using mods with built in batteries.
You'll never see me buy a mod with a built-in battery...They are called throwaway mods because when the built-in batt falls flat and won't take a charge anymore you throw it away..wasted money, in my view..
Besides I like choosing my own replaceable batts when they get old and keep my money invested in my mods..got a couple mods over 2 yrs old that use dual 18650's..
ad08fbd138ea598807673cee99e9b41b.jpg
Even got a few that use three 18650's and one that uses a replaceable 26650..it's the way I roll, lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
You'll never see me buy a mod with a built-in battery...They are called throwaway mods because when the built-in batt falls flat and won't take a charge anymore you throw it away..wasted money, in my view..
Besides I like choosing my own replaceable batts when they get old and keep my money invested in my mods..got a couple mods over 2 yrs old that use dual 18650's..
ad08fbd138ea598807673cee99e9b41b.jpg
Even got a few that use three 18650's and one that uses a replaceable 26650..it's the way I roll, lol

If you pay $50 for a mod with a built in battery and get a couple of years out of it it's very cheap entertainment. Loose batteries, fake batteries, the wrong battery, are causing problems that are almost entirely avoided with built in batteries. I use replacable batteries and plan to keep doing that. I understand the risk and have my list of rules and precautions. A brother of mine still vapes on his iStick 20 after two years. He has no interest in adding any complexity to his vape. I'm glad he feels that way about it, keeps him safer. Not everybody wants to or needs to get involved with loose batteries.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
If you pay $50 for a mod with a built in battery and get a couple of years out of it it's very cheap entertainment. Loose batteries, fake batteries, the wrong battery, are causing problems that are almost entirely avoided with built in batteries. I use replacable batteries and plan to keep doing that. I understand the risk and have my list of rules and precautions. A brother of mine still vapes on his iStick 20 after two years. He as no interest in adding any complexity to his vape. I'm glad he feels that way about it, keeps him safer. Not everybody wants to or needs to get involved with loose batteries.
Some people know what they're doing and some don't..I've never heard a mod with a built in batt lasting 2 yrs, but then again nobody I know (family and friends)
chose to vape with mods with built in batts..myself included..Even my newbie little sister went from a vision spinner to a Provari when the pos spinner wouldn't take a charge after only 3 weeks of use..None of my mods with replaceable batts cost me over $48..
A man gotta do what he thinks is right for him though, or like the old sayin goes, To Each His Own..[emoji12]

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Some people know what they're doing and some don't..I've never heard a mod with a built in batt lasting 2 yrs, but then again nobody I know (family and friends)
chose to vape with mods with built in batts..myself included..Even my newbie little sister went from a vision spinner to a Provari when the pos spinner wouldn't take a charge after only 3 weeks of use..None of my mods with replaceable batts cost me over $48..
A man gotta do what he thinks is right for him though, or like the old sayin goes, To Each His Own..[emoji12]

My brother who vapes has been using his iStick 20 exclusively for 2 years and apparently it's still going strong. He doesn't charge in the car or at work. Go figure.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
My brother who vapes has been using his iStick 20 exclusively for 2 years and apparently it's still going strong. He doesn't charge in the car or at work. Go figure.
I never buy a mod that begins with the letter I..so I wouldn't know personally about their batt life..but that's just me I reckon, lol

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If you pay $50 for a mod with a built in battery and get a couple of years out of it it's very cheap entertainment. Loose batteries, fake batteries, the wrong battery, are causing problems that are almost entirely avoided with built in batteries. I use replacable batteries and plan to keep doing that. I understand the risk and have my list of rules and precautions. A brother of mine still vapes on his iStick 20 after two years. He has no interest in adding any complexity to his vape. I'm glad he feels that way about it, keeps him safer. Not everybody wants to or needs to get involved with loose batteries.

Sure, a few years before a battery will no longer hold a charge isn't terrible with a low entry price and amortizing that over the 2 or so years. It does not necessarily always equate to safety. Let's face it, the Galaxy Note 7 uses used a built in Li battery, but it didn't turn out to work out that well for Samsung. And as a major manufacturer of batteries, including my beloved 25Rs, it illustrates that just because it comes from a "reputable" manufacturer no more assures safety over intelligently selected 18650 batteries by the user. Nothing is 100% safe, but I'd rather use my own easily replaceable power choice over a fixed built in. Of course there are also some mods which use Li ion battery packs that can be easily replaced once the pack will no longer hold a charge as well, so I guess they're still considered replaceable, but not in the typical generic 18650/26650 form factor.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales

No offense @HarryW but you don't need 60 or 80 watts to quit the smokes. Also, just so you know your 'Corsa mini 80w' is a Totally Wicked rebranded product which is a Joyetech Cuboid mini.
I ordered one two weeks ago for about £26. Should you want another one be sure to shop around, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread