Sub Ohms | Limits | Coil Building | Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayPahp

Mar 11, 2014
Houston, TX
Hey everyone. I've been vaping since I was 17 as an alternative to cigarettes. Now i am 18 and with my money i attacked my budget. I bought:
Organic Cotton from Kidney Puncher
30 Gauge Kanthal from TEMCO
Kamry K100 Empire Clone
Nimbus Clone from bevapehappy.com
An Ohm Checker
Sony VTC3 18650 batters (2Pack)

I've heard of subohms and fell in love with cloud chasing. I want to know more before my k100 arrives. I heard about limits and stuff, but what do they mean? I know that my vtc3s run 30 amps continuous, but what does that mean? And after calculating random ohms into ohms law at 3.7 V i know the amps. But does it mean i have to stay underneath 30 amps?

Also, when i was building coils for fun, i had a lot of trouble making a clean micro coil. I feel that the kanthal is still way too springy and not straight. What should i do? Btw, i don't have a torch.... yet...

Also, Should i get a job at my local vape shop? I need to quit my job.

How do i store this stuff? My batteries especially, i vape on the go so i put all my stuff in my back pack. Is that okay?

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
you have a lot of questions :) and most of them require alot of reading.... take the time read all you can about the things you are asking about... there is a wealth of info here, yup it can be intimidating to find it, but its generally the right answers.

The first thing I suggest that you learn about is Ohms Law, once you understand that most of your other questions will be answered too.

as far as springy coils... the gauge of kanthal compared to the dia of the mandrill it is wrapped on will either leave it springy or formed..
seems that the wire dia X 5 should be the dia of the mandrill ( form) the coil is wrapped on to be able to keep its shape. As the form gets larger the wire keeps its springyness....

once you have answers to all your questions and understand the answers, then apply at the Vapeshop...

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
Hey everyone. I've been vaping since I was 17 as an alternative to cigarettes. Now i am 18 and with my money i attacked my budget. I bought:
Kamry K100 Empire Clone
An Ohm Checker

I've heard of subohms and fell in love with cloud chasing. I want to know more before my k100 arrives. I heard about limits and stuff, but what do they mean? I know that my vtc3s run 30 amps continuous, but what does that mean? And after calculating random ohms into ohms law at 3.7 V i know the amps. But does it mean i have to stay underneath 30 amps?
Calculate at full charge - 4.2 V. Make sure to get a good battery charger like Pila, Xtar or Nitecore. You shouldnt exceed 75% of 30 Amps in order to leave yourself a safety buffer. Its certainly a danger zone to go .3 or less.

Also, when i was building coils for fun, i had a lot of trouble making a clean micro coil. I feel that the kanthal is still way too springy and not straight. What should i do? Btw, i don't have a torch.... yet...

I build microcoils all the time and I dont torch them. How are you making them so that they arent coming out tight and clean? This will help - outdated - Micro Coils 101 - Part One - Making The Tightest Coil You've Ever Made - YouTube

Maybe? Learn Ohms Law, Read TONS and get comfortable will all aspects vaping with valid, correct information - and see what they pay.

How do i store this stuff? My batteries especially, i vape on the go so i put all my stuff in my back pack. Is that okay?

Do not EVER put loose batteries in your back pack. :danger: Use little plastic protector cases (they are like 1.50) or substitute old prescription bottle, film cannister - you get the idea. They can and will vent loose in a backpack or pocket VERY easily. These are the cases: 18650 Battery Case - Kidney Puncher

There are posts of this sort all the time http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...shaken-up-provari-aw-18490-battery-owner.html It is far from uncommon or rare for this to happen with improper battery use and/or storage. Its not a matter of IF it happens, it is a matter of WHEN it happens.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Do not EVER put loose batteries in your back pack. :danger: Use little plastic protector cases (they are like 1.50) or substitute old prescription bottle, film cannister - you get the idea. They can and will vent loose in a backpack or pocket VERY easily. These are the cases: 18650 Battery Case - Kidney Puncher

I'd only like to add two things; One, if you're dedicated to cloud chasing, approach it in steps. Don't dive straight down to 0.2 ohms. I know it's tempting, but you can really learn a lot from first trying your hand at some 1.2 - 1.5-ish ohm micro or nano-coil setups.

Two, after I had one of those plastic battery cases pop open in my backpack, I started wrapping a rubber band around the case to keep it shut. Ten cents worth of insurance.

I did just recently buy one of THESE. It's a zippered battery case that costs about twice as much as the standard plastic cases, and it's pretty sturdy.

Cloud chasing is more than just amps and ohms. I generate quite the ground fog at 3.6 V and 1.8 Ω...because I use a high vegetable glycerine liquid (I DIY). This is to the point that layers of vape have formed in the living room while I'm in there, and at no point am I pushing, heating, taunting, or otherwise making my battery in the least unhappy.

Third repeat, learn Ohm's Law until you mutter conversions in your sleep. Perform all calculations at the maximum voltage the battery can output, or 4.2 volts.

While CreepyLady above recommended not exceeding 75% of the battery amp output (and that's safe), I tend toward 50% myself. Why? Because that thing is near my mouth, which contains my really expensive teeth. It's up to you to decide where your comfort level is, but under no circumstances should you push a battery too close to its limits--don't draw more than 22 amps or so off a battery rated for 30 (75%).

In this particular instance, with V = I * R, which is now 4.2 = 15 * R, we know that (I'm using 50% max output for safety):

R = 4.2/15 = 0.28 Ω

That would be the absolute lowest ohm that's safe on a 30 A battery.

That's also getting close to a hard short and I'd never dream of recommending that. Stick with 0.3 or 0.4 Ω as an absolute minimum--when you have experience. Your first sub-ohm coil should target 0.9 Ω, then work down from there.

You'll see people excitedly reporting about their 0.1 or 0.2 Ω coils. Please don't do that. Ever.

Last edited:

Asmo6

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
United States
Kamry K100 Empire Clone
An Ohm Checker

You don't have a torch, but I bet you can get a little butane 'torch' lighter - or I bet you have a stove and some tweezers!

Batteries should be in a plastic case. They cannot be bumping around freely. If they short - you're going to really wish they hadn't.

Batteries should not be run at 100% of their rating. That ceiling is an immediate danger limit. But it doesn't speak to long term use near it. High drain applications can result in a good bit of internal heat, and over time can break down the internals increasing their internal resistance - or worse. Causing an internal short. This could be a fizzle, a burn out, or potentially a bomb. Date your batteries when they come in. And use proper charging procedures or - tempt fate.

I don't like much kanthal north of 28G. I realize it has it's place, but with 28G I can wind a tight little rigid coil that remains serviceable for a long long time. My daily vape cooks up into black death and I am cleaning and dry burning every other day - and they still last months for me.

It also holds up to having soggy wicks tugged out - while remaining where I put it in the beginning.

You need to do a LOT more reading before you start winding - as you seem a little green to be worrying about super sub ohm stuff, when you can't wind a decent coil yet. You'll get there. Your equip list is there. Now get some practice in - and keep reading.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Batteries should not be run at 100% of their rating. That ceiling is an immediate danger limit. But it doesn't speak to long term use near it. High drain applications can result in a good bit of internal heat, and over time can break down the internals increasing their internal resistance - or worse. Causing an internal short. This could be a fizzle, a burn out, or potentially a bomb. Date your batteries when they come in. And use proper charging procedures or - tempt fate.

I wouldn't call it a "danger" limit. It's a manufacturer's rating. Think of it as red line on your tach. Can you run at red line all day, every day? Sure. But you're going to shorten your engine's life and risk early failure.

Now, would I do that with a cheap, no-name battery? Hell no. I'm not saying I'd be "comfortable" at 100% of the amp limit, but I won't be doing it in Nomex and a face shield, either.

Running a battery at its amp limit isn't in and of itself dangerous, but you will definitely be going through batteries much faster than if you'd stuck to 75% or 50% of its rating.

JayPahp

Mar 11, 2014
Houston, TX
Thanks for the input :D. I just rewicked a bad kanger evod now I feel really cool. I tried rebuilding my iclear30b and messed it up pretty bad. Lol now I need an atomizer head. I moved the coil on accident, but I definitely prefer organic cotton over silica wick. I bought my ohn checker and k100 on fasttech. But it is taking forever... they didnt even give me the tracking number for the ohm checker.

certus11

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
usa
reddit ecig has a link to a guy doing .07 ohm (yes .ZERO7 ohm) and it's just massive. If that's what you are after then checkout reddit more because lots of people over there are into that stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AQHbvR6zg4 here, most massive cloud I have seen (very short drags 2 or 3 seconds at most it seem)

Last edited:

Kracker

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
NewCastle, DE
reddit ecig has a link to a guy doing .07 ohm (yes .ZERO7 ohm) and it's just massive. If that's what you are after then checkout reddit more because lots of people over there are into that stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AQHbvR6zg4 here, most massive cloud I have seen
I saw that before also and thought about the guy at my B&M telling me that a a 30 amp Sony couldn't handle a .2 ???

Edit...

My bad the one I saw was a .09 the name of the video is The Biggest Vape!! -Nano Coil ! 152 Watts!!! Huge Vape!
[h=1]
[/h]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread