So....sub ohming seems to do the trick for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcporter827

ECF Veteran
2 weeks ago my buddy gave me a maraxus clone, a patriot rda, all the tools needed to complete my first build, a few websites to go to, and wished me luck...later that day I got an ohm reader because he suggested it in a text message. After I got home I looked up all the info I could on building my own builds, battery safety, amp/ohm limits, ohms law ect. After figuring out I had the wrong batteries I went out the next day and picked up some vct4 30 amp batteries and a charger, went home charged them up, made a micro coil build with some 26 g wire, plugged it into the ohm reader and got .6somethingsomething, checked the math to make sure I was no where near 30 amps, juiced it up, pressed the button and was amazed to say the least. Now I own the original pens I started out with (which I think my lady has claimed dominion over since I don't touch them), I had an mvp2 but traded that out for a tesla (my nautilus now sits comfortably on), the maraxus clone, an authentic magneto, a nemesis clone, an igo w3, the patriot clone, and an omega clone and I still have my eye on a bunch more stuff that I like. I think I got the fever. What do I do with my tesla? I must save at least that as it's my only vvvw mod I don't want my woman to lay claim to.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dannyrl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Hillsboro, OR
Good on you for doing all the research and give your friends a high five for me for leading you in the right direction from the start.

You won't be straining the VTC4 until around 0.15 ohms, but good on you for double checking the math!

But yeah, personally when I started sub-ohming and dripping, I haven't gone back to my old ways since. Cloud production and flavor is just too good for me to go back lol. The only downside is that I go through juice like mad because I also chain vape for hours.

I've just kept all of my gear. Not many of my friends are into vaping like I am and the vaping community in my area is still really small, otherwise I would have sold my old gear to fund future purchases. I guess all my old gear makes nice desk decorations lol.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I've just kept all of my gear. Not many of my friends are into vaping like I am and the vaping community in my area is still really small, otherwise I would have sold my old gear to fund future purchases. I guess all my old gear makes nice desk decorations lol.

You could always unload your *unloved* gear in the Member Classifieds and Swaps Forum. If you are not familiar with this forum here is a link to get you started: How to Gain Access to the Classifieds and Co-op Forums

Last edited:

2naphish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
the boro, Tennessee
Good on you for doing all the research and give your friends a high five for me for leading you in the right direction from the start.

You won't be straining the VTC4 until around 0.15 ohms, but good on you for double checking the math!

But yeah, personally when I started sub-ohming and dripping, I haven't gone back to my old ways since. Cloud production and flavor is just too good for me to go back lol. The only downside is that I go through juice like mad because I also chain vape for hours.

you could do what i am doing...occasionally i run into a deserving person that for whatever reason can't afford to upgrade and is really wanting to move to the next level...generally not someone who asks, although i don't think i have ever seen that on this forum. then if i have unused gear that suits their need i pass it on to them. usually free or let them pay for shipping. so far i have done it twice on the ECF and feel pretty good about it. i have been blessed with the return of my health and a lot of enjoyment from the info and help i have received here and it is my way of paying it forward. alot more satisfying than getting back pennies on the dollar for clones and things i have moved well beyond...i am sure there plenty here that could do something to help someone less fortunate along.

just sayin' :D

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
Yeah I sold my beloved Provari for a Reo. I'm waiting for the Provari version 3 to come out, and I'll get one of those and pair it with an AL1 genesis atty, or a zen atty pro. Loved the Genny's on my regulated devices, ran that for a few months before discovering mechanicals and my Reo.

lovelovelove my Reo Grand =]

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
2 weeks ago my buddy gave me a maraxus clone, a patriot rda, all the tools needed to complete my first build, a few websites to go to, and wished me luck...later that day I got an ohm reader because he suggested it in a text message. After I got home I looked up all the info I could on building my own builds, battery safety, amp/ohm limits, ohms law ect. After figuring out I had the wrong batteries I went out the next day and picked up some vct4 30 amp batteries and a charger, went home charged them up, made a micro coil build with some 26 g wire, plugged it into the ohm reader and got .6somethingsomething, checked the math to make sure I was no where near 30 amps, juiced it up, pressed the button and was amazed to say the least. Now I own the original pens I started out with (which I think my lady has claimed dominion over since I don't touch them), I had an mvp2 but traded that out for a tesla (my nautilus now sits comfortably on), the maraxus clone, an authentic magneto, a nemesis clone, an igo w3, the patriot clone, and an omega clone and I still have my eye on a bunch more stuff that I like. I think I got the fever. What do I do with my tesla? I must save at least that as it's my only vvvw mod I don't want my woman to lay claim to.

The Ohm reader and calculating for battery is a good safety precaution. You should get a voltage reader to make sure you're not running your battery too low. About what dannyrl said about the not straining the battery until around .15 ohms, I have to disagree, the battery wraps can or will start melting at at least 0.18 ohms, and lower ohms do reduce the life of your battery and the Sony's are rated for 500 charges, so you will have to change batteries sooner. You also want a safety cushion for what your drawing and the batteries continuous amp output, about .18 ohms with a 30 amp continuous battery is the lowest you can go and still have some what of a safer cut off point using 77.8% of the continuous power. I have vaped at lower ohms, but not on my devices or builds, so I was taking a risk with my face and hands.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
About what dannyrl said about the not straining the battery until around .15 ohms, I have to disagree, the battery wraps can or will start melting at at least 0.18 ohms

0.18 ohms at 4.2V draws 23.33 amps. Why do you think a new VTC4 30A battery will heat up at that current draw? Heat up enough to melt the wrapper. That's 78% of the maximum it can put out continuously.

I'm not saying everyone should vape at 0.18 ohms, but if you're handing out battery information, it's a good idea to check it for accuracy first :)

Last edited:

TheGirlfriend

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2012
Plano TX
Yeah I sold my beloved Provari for a Reo. I'm waiting for the Provari version 3 to come out, and I'll get one of those and pair it with an AL1 genesis atty, or a zen atty pro. Loved the Genny's on my regulated devices, ran that for a few months before discovering mechanicals and my Reo.

lovelovelove my Reo Grand =]

when is the 3 coming out? I just checked their website not ten minutes before seeing this thread and didn't see any updates.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
sounds like you found your path porter. Use the same batts, and a few others just as good or better. My builds range from a low of 0.24 to a high of 1.3. Love both tank systems and a few drippers. Have the Magma rda and simply love it's performance. Tanks for on the go, and rda for breaks and relaxed at home. Use them all when at home. I also am able to run all my builds at 30 watts, so any thing over 0.5 gets thrown on a regulated mod, lower, usually a mech.

Good job on your diligent reading and research before getting into the mech world, well done my friend. All the info his here if one merely looks.

Vape long and prosper.!!!

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
0.18 ohms at 4.2V draws 23.33 amps. Why do you think a new VTC4 30A battery will heat up at that current draw? Heat up enough to melt the wrapper. That's 78% of the maximum it can put out continuously.

I'm not saying everyone should vape at 0.18 ohms, but if you're handing out battery information, it's a good idea to check it for accuracy first :)

Yeah 1.8 ohms does draw 23.33 amps and is 78% of the maximum output if you rounded up. Still under the maximum 30 CONTINUOUS amps NOT PULSING AMPS, giving you a cushion of 22%, there's a reason why sub ohmers use the VTC4 and VTC5 for the CONTINUOUS 30 AMP draw. If you actually read what I was saying, I was telling the OP that a previous response from dannyrl, saying I did NOT agree that the battery won't stress until 1.5 ohms. I was NOT recommending the OP or anyone to build that low and my VTC5 doesn't get hot, the only thing caused it to really get hot (wrapper not battery) was from using a ss mod, that got hot at the upper extension tube that's why I said it CAN or will melt although mine didn't melt, but doesn't look the same, I've done the same build in a copper mod with no real change in battery appearance, so mine was more mod dependent which I failed to mention. Also at 0.18 ohms the battery will not stay at 4.2V for long. Most people will recommend not going over about 70-80% of the batteries continuous power. So what isn't accurate, the only difference in numbers is that you rounded up to the nearest whole number?

exact number at 4.2 V is 77.76666667%

Last edited:

seek2

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I vape on a ~.25 ohm build quite often and it kills even vtc5 quite fast. Vtc4 even faster. The good thing about vaping at such low ohms is even at 3.7-3.8 volts I still get strong hits. When on a .8 ohm build for example, on a fresh battery its nice, but 3.7-3.8 is usually when I notice a decline in vapor production and pull it.

In regards to the OP question. Keep all your old gear. There are times when I feel like crap (this morning for example - too much drinking and vaping last night, and woke up with a pounding headache and sore throat) that I am vaping an evod here and there just to keep cravings away. As sub ohm vaping surely doesn't help headaches at all.

Aside from that, its fun to switch around and use different setups all the time. You may not always want to be using a hard hitting device.

pcporter827

ECF Veteran
Thank you everyone for your input! To me it isn't all that complicated, just stay within the limits of your battery and be smart about how you use your device and everything should be okay. It's the only way to vape to me, the flavor is so much more intense!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread