Subzero clone issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
I'll get some up tomorrow. Basically, with the rda/top cap screwed down, the pin is pushed all the way in by the battery. This then drives the pin into the "clutch system" and causes it to fire unless you back off the bottom cap. You don't get this with an AV clone. Question is, can I be assed to reduce the pin length or shall I just return it.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Below are some pictures to see if anyone has any ideas. My thinking is that the pin is too long as the switch will work if I push the pin into the tube a little, however, this then means that I cannot get an RDA to sit flush on the top cap as there is not enough room in the tube for the top contact and a battery. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2iviohg.jpg

2q1bblk.jpg

317gnb6.jpg

2j695xh.jpg

20adxdc.jpg

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
Difficult to tell from pictures, but pin height looks OK. Looks to me like the taper/profile of the pin is a bit off, not enough taper to it. You may be able to compensate for it by changing the spring out. As I briefly mentioned in the other thread, the spring that came with one of my clones caused issues. If you have anything that is close to it lying around try some different springs. You could also wind a few different springs using the solid copper center wire from various coaxial cable.

Make sure your clutch is smooth, on both sides, and clear of small protruding edges it takes very little change to the clutch to alter switch feel, so just polishing or removing a slight bit of metal makes noticeable difference, go slow if you decide to do this. The plating is very thin so be prepared for the copper to show through, which really does nothing to performance.

When it is working properly it has one of the nicest switches of any mech I've used. The pointier pin in the photo below is pretty close to 1:1 the blunt pin clone needed a bit of tinkering to get right, but performs equally well after. Blunt pinned looks closer to what you've got, and was also the one I had to mess with to get it working. I have a good supply of springs and it really only took finding the right one to get it working flawlessly. Well I did slightly alter the pin and clutch, but mostly only smoothing polishing, and making sure it had a uniform surface.

Problem with the Subzero clones is availability, SOI hit the china sellers hard with threats, and most gave in. Kindbright sold the best of them, and I believe that is who made my copper one. Focale has a Full length Legendary clone, mine works exceptionally well out of the box, think its about $17 right now. I've had all of mine for a while now use them everyday with zero issues.

availability and how much energy you want to put into getting it working should probably be your deciding factor. You can probably solve all your issues simply by purchasing the $20.00 upgrade kit from SOI. includes silver plated pin, clutch, and 510 pin with nut. All of it fits in all 3 of my clones perfectly.

The legendary long mode clone Focal sells is actually quite nice, and very close to 1:1. the three different clones I have all parts will interchange. so your shorty switch should fit on the legendary which SOI charges $30 for.

Don't know your skill level, or your patience level so you might be just better off returning and looking for a different one. On the other hand you could just mess with the one you have until you get it right. Did quite a few various experiments with my black one trying to get the switch just right. Started out firing erratically and with a very stiff and long throw. Tried a thin spacer in the delrin cup and various springs, in between all this I had the same issue as yours (couldn't tighten all the way without it firing. in the end it was just a matter of a proper spring for it. I'd be surprised if a good clean/polish and proper spring would not cure yours.

As for battery length that shouldn't be an issue, the battery pretty much locks everything in place above the clutch, too long battery will simply not allow the cap to be fully seated

If you have a caliper or something to get accurate measurements I can make some measurements on mine and possibly further pin down your issue.

6HTIqPR.jpg

bSvpUdC.jpg

5g2WiRU.jpg

Last edited:

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Difficult to tell from pictures, but pin height looks OK. Looks to me like the taper/profile of the pin is a bit off, not enough taper to it. You may be able to compensate for it by changing the spring out. As I briefly mentioned in the other thread, the spring that came with one of my clones caused issues. If you have anything that is close to it lying around try some different springs. You could also wind a few different springs using the solid copper center wire from various coaxial cable.

Make sure your clutch is smooth, on both sides, and clear of small protruding edges it takes very little change to the clutch to alter switch feel, so just polishing or removing a slight bit of metal makes noticeable difference, go slow if you decide to do this. The plating is very thin so be prepared for the copper to show through, which really does nothing to performance.

When it is working properly it has one of the nicest switches of any mech I've used. The pointier pin in the photo below is pretty close to 1:1 the blunt pin clone needed a bit of tinkering to get right, but performs equally well after. Blunt pinned looks closer to what you've got, and was also the one I had to mess with to get it working. I have a good supply of springs and it really only took finding the right one to get it working flawlessly. Well I did slightly alter the pin and clutch, but mostly only smoothing polishing, and making sure it had a uniform surface.

Problem with the Subzero clones is availability, SOI hit the china sellers hard with threats, and most gave in. Kindbright sold the best of them, and I believe that is who made my copper one. Focale has a Full length Legendary clone, mine works exceptionally well out of the box, think its about $17 right now. I've had all of mine for a while now use them everyday with zero issues.

availability and how much energy you want to put into getting it working should probably be your deciding factor. You can probably solve all your issues simply by purchasing the $20.00 upgrade kit from SOI. includes silver plated pin, clutch, and 510 pin with nut. All of it fits in all 3 of my clones perfectly.

The legendary long mode clone Focal sells is actually quite nice, and very close to 1:1. the three different clones I have all parts will interchange. so your shorty switch should fit on the legendary which SOI charges $30 for.

Don't know your skill level, or your patience level so you might be just better off returning and looking for a different one. On the other hand you could just mess with the one you have until you get it right. Did quite a few various experiments with my black one trying to get the switch just right. Started out firing erratically and with a very stiff and long throw. Tried a thin spacer in the delrin cup and various springs, in between all this I had the same issue as yours (couldn't tighten all the way without it firing. in the end it was just a matter of a proper spring for it. I'd be surprised if a good clean/polish and proper spring would not cure yours.

As for battery length that shouldn't be an issue, the battery pretty much locks everything in place above the clutch, too long battery will simply not allow the cap to be fully seated

If you have a caliper or something to get accurate measurements I can make some measurements on mine and possibly further pin down your issue.

33mT8WL.jpg

6HTIqPR.jpg

bSvpUdC.jpg

cEpKFV6.jpg

3jZaR8r.jpg

5g2WiRU.jpg
That was beyond helpful. I appreciate the time you took to reply to my query.

After re-assembly, my issues have significantly reduced- but are not solved. I really like the mod, so tomorrow I am tempted to order the contact kit and see if that solves the issue. Ironically, this clone is the best machined one I have (bar my beloved Optic) and yet it's the only clone I cannot get to work.

A couple of questions... does your plastic disc protrude at all from the end cap? And how much throw does your switch have?

Thanks again

Reactions: Kprthevapr

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
Hope the contact kit works in yours, it should, only thing I'd be concerned with is the pin above the clutch, the rest will, I'll bet the pin does as well. I waited a couple months before the upgrade parts were available again, they go in/out fairly often. throw is short on all the pointy pin one is shortest, just barely a slight push, spring can change that a bit. As for delrin cup, no protrusion on either of them.

If you have not already change out the crappy o-ring provided on the clutch, hit up your atty spares, you'll probably find one suitable.

All three of mine are very nicely machined, black one the finish is really durable so far, no chips or wearing, almost wondering if it is cerakote, or some other baked on ceramic. I've been super happy with mine, to the point I'll buy an authentic if they ever come in around $100.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Thanks for the reply.

I have stripped the whole thing ready for the contacts (which hopefully will be here tomorrow). The spring looks pretty decent and appears to be plated as well, so I am going to leave that as is although I have squared it off. I have also found a much better o-ring for the clutch so will use that on the new set.

If all of this still doesn't work you may hear me swear from all the way over here :lol:

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Well the parts are here and....

SHE LIVES!!!:banana:

I'll load up some pics soon, but I think it was a sum of all the parts. The bottom pin had a completely different taper, the clutch contact has a different taper, and the top pin is shorter with a slightly thinner adjustable section.

Thanks for the help all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread