The Broadside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
I'm amazed this mod doesn't have its own thread yet (unless it has and I have missed it!).

I am a huge fan of the subzero mod by SOI as I like the idea of a downward facing battery and the fact that no moveable contact needs to touch the battery, which reduces arcing and potential hot button issues. The problem was that putting in a battery positive down could lead to potential venting issues if your wraps are not top notch. The Broadside sorts this by lining the entire tube with delrin. A feature I expect more mod makers will now follow. In addition to that, the button no longer relies on the spring like the subzero and has a 3 piece "clutch" system rather than a 4 piece.

The Broadside has been cloned to perfection with regards to the polished finish and the threading, however, I have noticed a common issue which I am unsure is typical of just clones. Upon arrival, I was unable to screw down the positive contact all the way as it then became too short, causing the delrin button to become loose. A fix I have found requires the addition of a very thin o-ring under the threaded delrin section (this unscrews). There is even a lip which this fits perfectly in to, and when all assembled, it creates the perfect amount of throw.

For those that don't already know, this is a 25mm mod and a Kennedy 25 sits perfectly on top.

Will report back in a few days of use, but so far I am very impressed. Here is a pic I posted earlier, but I will get more up soon.

jqksax.jpg

lvon

Feb 11, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
I own an authentic copper broadside, and it's amongst my most precious belongings.
I've had it for many months, and it's basically the only mod i use now, except for the occasional time when i want to go regulated for tc and such.
The fire mechanism is absolutely fantastic, I also love the simple looks, and I always keep it polished up looking sharp.
It's a fantastic heavy copper tube :)

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
I own an authentic copper broadside, and it's amongst my most precious belongings.
I've had it for many months, and it's basically the only mod i use now, except for the occasional time when i want to go regulated for tc and such.
The fire mechanism is absolutely fantastic, I also love the simple looks, and I always keep it polished up looking sharp.
It's a fantastic heavy copper tube :)

The switch is indeed a pleasure to use. Have you tried one of the optional o-rings or have you stuck with the original? Also, just for my own curiosity, can you screw your bottom contact in fully and get the correct throw on the delrin button?

lvon

Feb 11, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
The switch is indeed a pleasure to use. Have you tried one of the optional o-rings or have you stuck with the original? Also, just for my own curiosity, can you screw your bottom contact in fully and get the correct throw on the delrin button?
Yes i can. Almost.
When I bought it, I noticed a tiny little rattle coming from the delrin button. Not enough for it to be visible, but slightly audible when tapping it, or shaking it.
It wasn't a problem for me, so i didn't think more of it.
Since then, I have dropped the tube on its tail on a hard marble floor, causing the threaded copper ring to warp ever so slightly. Now the delrin button wouldn't move freely all the way out anymore, so I ended up sanding a tiiiny bit away from the diameter of the button. That resolved the issue and now it's perfect. The rattle has even gone away :)
Sounds good though with the o-ring. As long as you don't get autofire issues, which you will if the threaded silver connector is too far out :)

Reactions: Winblows

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
By the way, would love to have like, a STL file of the delrin button, so that if it wears out, I could 3dprint another one easily.
That would be sweet. It's probably super easy to make, if one is comfortable with CAD software

Keep in mind:
You can work delrin with hand tools.
Its very very soft and easy to mill to specs.
A simple hand tap and die set from harbor freight and some delrin stock from Amazon should be all you to thread or tap your own pieces.

lvon

Feb 11, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Is it really my next purchase? :)

Link

broadside_01_zpsi9lmxjcq.png

broadside_02_zpsndtbtxa0.png
HA! I just noticed that you are also in Copenhagen.
I bought mine in Valby Damp. Mine is copper but they might have brass, not sure.
I think it cost me like 999kr or so, but you could head over there, just to see how it feels, before you buy it.

(Edit: I just realized this would be more suited in a PM. sorry about that guys)

Last edited:
Reactions: Winblows

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
I have a couple of broadsides, (so I can stack them) hard hitting mod and can perform well. However it does get hot quick and once hot forget about being able to change batteries. I do have an above average grip and can feel the mod slightly buckle when I take mulitple hard hits. Top cap sticks when hot, so have to wait for the mod to cool before you can remove.

For the price it gives high value. But is not built for heavy usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread