Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Here ya go, Oz. Feel better.
Nikki%20and%20Karen%20BiG%20B2%20Glam%20Shot.jpg

Do I have to pick or do I get both? I pick the one on the left if I have to pick.

It's RESISTance. The wire is RESISTING the electricity flowing through it.
If there's MORE wire - like having 2 coils (or a thicker wire) - that's "more room" for the electricity. :)
It's EASIER, there's LESS RESISTANCE.
Thus, two coils of 3 ohms results in half as much resistance as one coil of 3 ohms.
Just in case the "plain english logic" helps - :)

In teaching radio, I likened it to a hose full of water. The wire is full of electrons which move, but you never have an 'empty' wire, the current's just not moving.

For the hose, voltage is the amount of water. Amperage is how fast that water is flowing. Resistance is the size of the hose.

People fear high voltage for no good reason. In 240v+ systems, it's the amps that kill. Just like the hose, you can have a ton of water, but if it's barely moving, like a giant swimming pool, it's completely safe. On the flip side, you can have very low voltage which is dangerous... like those water jets that can cut diamond or steel or rock. Again, it's the amps.

Watts/power is exactly the same thing, volts times amps, or volume of water times how fast it's moving.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
It's RESISTance. The wire is RESISTING the electricity flowing through it.
If there's MORE wire - like having 2 coils (or a thicker wire) - that's "more room" for the electricity. :)
It's EASIER, there's LESS RESISTANCE.
Thus, two coils of 3 ohms results in half as much resistance as one coil of 3 ohms.
Just in case the "plain english logic" helps - :)

Plain english logic ALWAYS helps!!! I see, and that makes sense too:).

Oz... so the R1 R2 R3 ... each one is an imaginary coil with R being the same resist for each one right?

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Do I have to pick or do I get both? I pick the one on the left if I have to pick.

In teaching radio, I likened it to a hose full of water. The wire is full of electrons which move, but you never have an 'empty' wire, the current's just not moving.

For the hose, voltage is the amount of water. Amperage is how fast that water is flowing. Resistance is the size of the hose.

People fear high voltage for no good reason. In 240v+ systems, it's the amps that kill. Just like the hose, you can have a ton of water, but if it's barely moving, like a giant swimming pool, it's completely safe. On the flip side, you can have very low voltage which is dangerous... like those water jets that can cut diamond or steel or rock. Again, it's the amps.

Watts/power is exactly the same thing, volts times amps, or volume of water times how fast it's moving.

When I was small, my parents had this bare lightbulb in the attic with a string pull switch. They didn't know, but I'd sneak up into the attic a lot. That pull switch gave off a buzz sensation. It was so strong, you couldn't hold on to it very long at all (more than a sec). Years later, I realized that that pulling it was probably the equivalent of sticking a metal object into a light socket... something I accidentally have done too.

I wondered why sticking something in a light socket was such a scary thing, neither killed or even injured me... although if I had a pacemaker, that might be a bad thing. Maybe there's just not that much current running through a normal electric outlet, but it doesn't seem like a big deal. That's just an aside. Who knows, maybe it gave me brain damage and I just don't know it yet. :p

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Plain english logic ALWAYS helps!!! I see, and that makes sense too:).

Oz... so the R1 R2 R3 ... each one is an imaginary coil with R being the same resist for each one right?

In real electronics you're dealing with many different resistors of different values, hence the equation as it's written. Dumb it down to 2 coils at 2 ohms each. R(total) = (1/R1 + 1/R2). Since both coils are 2 ohms you have 1/2 + 1/2 = 1. So (2) 2 ohm coils (resistors) in parallel are actually 1 ohm. If you had 3 coils all at 3 ohms each, 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1. In electronics the resistor values (number of ohms/amount of resistance) could be widely varied so you need the equation to figure out the total. Since we're working with multiple resistors (coils) each at the same resistance (because we want them all to fire equally) the basic equation is the resistance (ohm value) of a coil divided by how many of them you have. But like I said before, it's not necessary what so ever. If all you care about is how the vape tastes to you & not about showing off your cloud chasing 'skills', there's not really anything a dual or triple or 15 coil (sorry, don't know the term off the top of my head) setup can do for you that a single coil can't. Wrap a pretty looking coil, make sure it fires correctly, don't worry about it. You're a rock star.

When I was small, my parents had this bare lightbulb in the attic with a string pull switch. They didn't know, but I'd sneak up into the attic a lot. That pull switch gave off a buzz sensation. It was so strong, you couldn't hold on to it very long at all (more than a sec). Years later, I realized that that pulling it was probably the equivalent of sticking a metal object into a light socket... something I accidentally have done too.

I wondered why sticking something in a light socket was such a scary thing, neither killed or even injured me... although if I had a pacemaker, that might be a bad thing. Maybe there's just not that much current running through a normal electric outlet, but it doesn't seem like a big deal. That's just an aside. Who knows, maybe it gave me brain damage and I just don't know it yet. :p

That's a little scary, considering how many amps potentially could've got you. I've been shocked with well over 100k volts before, but it was at less than 10 mA (inductive kick is fun & educational :D)... a house-service line can deliver a helluva lot more than that.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Well, maybe different people respond to electricity differently. But if you think about it, we all live around electricity, when was the last time you read of someone getting hospitalized, or dying, from household electrical currents? And people get shocked every day I'm sure. Maybe it's rubber shoes.

I seriously don't know why I have a mental block about ohms/amps/volts. Thanks for trying to explain tho!! I'll read it again slowly.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Yeah, you don't want to pull that switch standing barefoot in a puddle...

Well, maybe different people respond to electricity differently. But if you think about it, we all live around electricity, when was the last time you read of someone getting hospitalized, or dying, from household electrical currents? And people get shocked every day I'm sure. Maybe it's rubber shoes.

I seriously don't know why I have a mental block about ohms/amps/volts. Thanks for trying to explain tho!! I'll read it again slowly.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana

Like many things, it's just not reported in the news - I can't remember the last story I heard about a non famous person dying of a heart attack either, but it's still happening all the time. Statistically a few people are electrocuted daily. I would imagine a disproportionate amount of those are in the construction/electrician fields, but never discount human stupidity & laziness coupled with ferrous objects.

ChiefAllDay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
Ft. Campbell, KY
I am going to try cheesecloth this week, instead of cotton from a cotton ball. I realized a reviewer on youtube had a good point, cheesecloth is a lot more consistent than cotton. He went as far as figuring out how many threads in his square of cheesecloth he would use per wick. Will let you know how it goes.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Seems like a bit overkill to me, unless your juice has learned simple arithmetic. Even buying the expensive cotton balls I roughly figure I'm looking at just less than .08 of a penny per wick or about 12 wicks per penny. The thread count is probably a bit off from wick to wick, but they're even & they all vape the same. To each their own, I s'pose. I'm happy with mine & couldn't justify spending any more on wicks when these work perfectly fine.

ChiefAllDay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
Ft. Campbell, KY
1.5 for me. I didn't really mean to hit that number, it's just where I ended up. I usually vape around 4 volts.

Regarding using cheesecloth, I don't think you understand. One is able to measure cheesecloth down to the thread length and amount, and I don't see you being able to do it exactly the same each time with cottonballs. And no, they are not even, and they do not vape the same, due to not being even, lol. I find it odd that you will quote science for electricity, but just wing it with wicks.

And if you can't afford a $1.69 bag of cheesecloth from your local supermarket, how can you afford a Provari? $1.69 to try something that might be better, might not. But you're counting your 0.08 cents per wick. PS, the eGo works perfectly find too. Your logic eludes me.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
The science of electricity? It's nothing but basic math. And yes, my wicks do vape the same. They're close enough. Unless you're changing the material the wick is made of, they just deliver juice to the coil & as long as they're doing that efficiently, keeping up with your rate of vaping, the difference of a few strands is miniscule & pretty silly to worry about. In a swimming pool it's not that hard to tell the difference between a very small change in temperature, but you are going to worry about how many mL are in the pool too?

Thanks for the suggestion on the eGo, I'll go check one of those out. That makes perfect sense for me to try since I must not know how do to do simple arithmetic in my head on the fly & I'm working out the price of my wicks with a calculator or a spreadsheet or something. Wow. This subforum hasn't changed one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread