suggestions for a Subtank plus mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altaire Versailles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Detroit MI
Yes, I still use a subtank plus. Lokking for recommendations for a mod that will fit it well. Ive always used it with a Kbox but it keeps shorting out when the battery charge goes under about 80% for a couple months now, tried new batteries, same result so theres some problem with the mod. Any suggestions for a mod thats a good size for it? Not too small so its top heavy but not huge making the whole setup heavy...and something cheap, I have expensive mods, just looking for something sufficient to use with it that works

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
OKC, OK
I still use a subtank plus myself, recently got an aegis, I got the single battery version, not the legend. Works well enough. Considerably larger than the kbox. Evic mini is pretty close, used that between the kbox and the aegis. Mini bit the dust, lasted a year or so though, followed it with the aegis purchase. The aegis is good if you can live with its size, you'll need big pockets. Jack vapour is pretty popular as well.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Honestly, there is plenty of better tank options out there that you can get for a very good price. However, if the tank has some kind of fundamental value to you, try using an alien from Smok?
the alien is a two battery mod which he may not need and SMOK has an abysmal reliability reputation. (There are gigantic threads here arguing this point both ways. I happen to be in the “chances are your smok mod will likely break on you unless you get lucky” camp

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Honestly, there is plenty of better tank options out there that you can get for a very good price. However, if the tank has some kind of fundamental value to you, try using an alien from Smok?
You might want to do some homework on that one. You're actually the first person that I've seen on this forum to recommend someone buy a Smok product.

Last edited:

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2015
Netherlands
Excellent tank, even the factory coils are good. Of course there are numerous other and newer tanks, but lots of them won't be able to beat the ST+. Also one could consider theirself lucky not having the urge to find something better, it made me end up with tons of crappy vapeware.

It's a 25mm tank and 7ml as i recall, so a dualbattery mod isn't necessarily overkill. Recent single battery mods that come to mind are the Eleaf iStick 21700, Ehpro 101 Pro (tube), Joyetech Espion Solo, Asmodus Amighty.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Honestly, there is plenty of better tank options out there that you can get for a very good price.
Actually the Kanger Subtank is one of the most popular tanks out there and probably outsold everything else. I retired 8 of them 2 years ago and I'm thinking about putting them back into service once again. They are one of the best tanks out there.
However, if the tank has some kind of fundamental value to you, try using an alien from Smok?
Smok?
EIQLJ7Z.gif

Altaire Versailles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Detroit MI
I have other tanks. Some are better in one aspect or another. The subtank is my favorite. Not looking to buy a new tank, I'm looking for a mod to replace the broken Kbox that goes with it.

Reactions: BillW50

Altaire Versailles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Detroit MI
Iirc the subtank plus is a 25mm atty yes? If so a pico25 might work well, or just about any other mod really. Most accept 25mm attys without overhang these days.
Pico 25 looks about the same size as my pico, and i can't fit the subtank on it

• Agree

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
No bombastinator, the Kanger Subtank Plus is really only 25mm.
I still use a subtank plus myself, recently got an aegis, I got the single battery version, not the legend. Works well enough. Considerably larger than the kbox. Evic mini is pretty close, used that between the kbox and the aegis. Mini bit the dust, lasted a year or so though, followed it with the aegis purchase. The aegis is good if you can live with its size, you'll need big pockets. Jack vapour is pretty popular as well.
Yes I too like the Aegis 100W mod too and I have 4 of them. Although they are kind of heavy. I have one here with an Aspire 26650 battery (last as long as 2 Samsung 18650 25R) with a Crown 1 tank. Put it on the scale and its 366g. You could use an 18650 which would be lighter, but still a bit heavy. Plus the Aegis 100W is one of the few mods that doesn't have a built in charger. So they have to be charged externally. And some people doesn't like battery caps that you have to screw and unscrew to get the battery in and out. I personally like them myself for the solid battery connections.

They have the kit version too which comes with a Shield tank which uses Smok coil heads (yuck). But the kit also comes with an extra battery cap in case you want to use 20700/21700 batteries. I've seen the kit version on sale at MyVPro for $44.99 which is really cheap (in leopard color only). Their non-kit Aegis 100W costs a few bucks more. Oh MyVPro has free shipping for orders of $50 or more. So perhaps ordering something else like juice or something to get the free shipping.

Don't know if Altaire Versailles will find all of this acceptable or not. But if he likes it, it should do nicely. Oh yeah, you will also want to update the firmware which is a pain because of tiny screws, needing a computer, and a very narrow microUSB plug (the common microUSB won't fit very well) which is very hard to find. The kit might already have the update. I'll know soon as I ordered one (the kit version).

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
25 or 26 iirc. Every internal battery mod I bought in the beginning is still working well over 4 years later. My uncle's are even older. I have switched to external and pif'd the internals but have no problem recommending them. Useful and well liked by many. Sure did help me.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Yes, I still use a subtank plus. Lokking for recommendations for a mod that will fit it well. Ive always used it with a Kbox but it keeps shorting out when the battery charge goes under about 80% for a couple months now, tried new batteries, same result so theres some problem with the mod. Any suggestions for a mod thats a good size for it? Not too small so its top heavy but not huge making the whole setup heavy...and something cheap, I have expensive mods, just looking for something sufficient to use with it that works

KangerTech KBOX Mini 50W Mod

Just 10 dollars if thats what youve been using..

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
25 or 26 iirc. Every internal battery mod I bought in the beginning is still working well over 4 years later. My uncle's are even older. I have switched to external and pif'd the internals but have no problem recommending them. Useful and well liked by many. Sure did help me.
I am sure many love internal battery mods. I have an iTaste MVP2 that I used probably 6 recharges in 4 years and I am sure the battery still works (so it is still almost new). But besides when the battery dies thing, I also don't like waiting for them to charge for one. When swapping cells, I don't care how long the spares take to charge since the mod is still portable. One could just buy 2 mods instead of one plus an extra set of batteries too which would ease my mind there. Although there you would need to swap tanks all of the time too unless you bought 2 of those too. ;)

And second which is a biggy with me. This one is a safety thing. If in a rare moment something goes wrong and the mod starts smoking or gets too hot, I want to eject the cells fast to save the batteries or the mod (depending on which one was the problem). You know like how Star Trek can eject their warp core when that needs to leave before the whole ship explodes. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread