Suggestions for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Red velvet cake recipes!

I bought a 30ml of concentrate a while back for my ex and she has no idea how to DIY, not that it matters cause she no longer vapes. I dont generally do dessert recipes and I dont have any of the ingredients for some of the suggested recipes Ive seen for the cake and icing.

Im wondering if anyone has toyed around with using red velvet cake and some fruit flavors or something. It would be a shame to waste the whole bottle but I just cant vape it stand alone.

Reactions: tazzle

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
I have it too, and I agree, it's awful as a standalone. Here's something that might work:

Ethyl Maltol 0.5%
Bavarian Cream ( TPA ) 3%
Cake Yellow ( FW ) 10%
Red Velvet Cake ( TPA ) 1%

From Le diy pour les nuls.

I haven't tried it yet, but I will whenever I manage to get around to buying Yellow Cake flavor. The key here, I think, is that the Red Velvet Cake is only 1%. Keeping the RVC percentage low is probably the way to go with any mix.

You could try strawberries and cream with a very small bit of RVC. Think of it like chocolate in a mix. Most heavy-on-the-chocolate mixes taste terrible to me, but sometimes a *wee* bit can work okay.

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
I don't have the flavor, but this looks interesting:

DIYVAPES - Velveteen Rabbit (posted at ELR by user Thom Simmons)
5% Horchata Smooth (TPA)
7.5% Red Licorice (TPA)
7.5% Red Velvet Cake (TPA)
Flavor total: 20%

P.S. @tazzle - 10% FW Yellow Cake is a coil-murderer, be warned!

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
All great ideas! I was thinking of adding some cherry or strawberry as well!

Yep. If you think of RVC as basically chocolate cake, you realize that many fruits are good with chocolate. Even orange could be good. You also have to consider that thick buttercream icing, which I think is the source of many people's "ick" factor...but if you background the RVC component in your recipe, it should be workable.

I just had a thought that maybe peanut-butter flavor could be useful here too.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
You also have to consider that thick buttercream icing, which I think is the source of many people's "ick" factor...
Good point. I don't have RVC but Ido have (and use) Cream Cheese Icing - LA and it is one of those that has a "stinky foot" odor to me when freshly mixed. However, give it a 24 hour rest with the bottle top open (breathing), and the a solid 3 week steep, and it becomes absolutely wonderful.

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Good point. I don't have RVC but Ido have (and use) Cream Cheese Icing - LA and it is one of those that has a "stinky foot" odor to me when freshly mixed. However, give it a 24 hour rest with the bottle top open (breathing), and the a solid 3 week steep, and it becomes absolutely wonderful.

Interestingly, I read a lot of comments that one needs to add LA Cream Cheese Icing to TFA Red Velvet Cake in order to bring out the goodness. Now I'm not needing it for that; I tried two different vendors' RVC mixes in my pre-DIY days, because I love to eat it, and thereby discovered I don't like to vape it. But if I ever decide to buy some LorAnn, that CCI and their Banana Cream will be on the short list.

I'mnotZak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I can't remember where I found this recipe and I have not mixed it yet. None the less, I thought I would attempt to help. I never used LA CCI at that high of % so not sure how it would work out. The rest of the %'s look appropriate IMO. @IDJoel, have you used the LA CCI anywhere close to 6%? Good luck!

Red Velvet Cake
5% red velvet cake - TFA
6% cream cheese icing - LA
3% vanilla swirl - TFA
1% vanilla cupcake - TFA

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@IDJoel, have you used the LA CCI anywhere close to 6%?
I have not. I have 5 recipes (none my own creations... though tweaked to my own liking) and ONE uses it at 4%. The others are all between 1 and 2%. The 4% recipe (Cream Cheese Danish); it is acting as the primary flavor.

Reactions: I'mnotZak

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
If I may suggest try making it as a standalone before you start getting creative. I have a Lava Cake and made it and it was great but after some time it was sitting it got so strong I had to dilute it in a major way.

I have tried this as stand alone in 2 or 3 different percentages. Its not terrible for a few vapes but then it gets progressively worse as a stand alone.

Reactions: SteveS45

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I have tried this as stand alone in 2 or 3 different percentages. Its not terrible for a few vapes but then it gets progressively worse as a stand alone.

Worse in what way do you mean? Not enough flavor or too much? I know next time I make my Lava cake it will be with a very low percentage of flavor.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I mean I just end up not liking it. I cant imagine its because of steep time because I generally steep my juices for a day and then vape the bottle dry before moving on to a different one. Im not sure if my palate just gets bored with it or what but I dont like it as stand alone. I have yet to find a cake type e-juice that I really enjoy which is why I usually stay away from them. The only reason this exists in my collection is because my ex wanted it. If I can salvage it by adding a few drops here and there then its not a complete waste but then again the bottle did only cost me $4.

I'mnotZak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'll keep trying to inspire you... This is not my recipe and again, I have not attempted this mix.

Devil's Ice Cream Cake
Cake (Yellow) (FW) 2%
Cake Batter Dip (FW) 1.25%
Cream Cheese Icing (LA) 1.5%
New York Cheesecake (CAP) 3%
Red Velvet Cake (TPA) 3.5%
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (TFA) 4%
White Chocolate (TFA) 1%

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I mean I just end up not liking it. I cant imagine its because of steep time because I generally steep my juices for a day and then vape the bottle dry before moving on to a different one. Im not sure if my palate just gets bored with it or what but I dont like it as stand alone. I have yet to find a cake type e-juice that I really enjoy which is why I usually stay away from them. The only reason this exists in my collection is because my ex wanted it. If I can salvage it by adding a few drops here and there then its not a complete waste but then again the bottle did only cost me $4.

Well there might be a few of the problems because any complex recipes I make do need time to infuse and a day isn't really long enough for deserts in my opinion. I can't vape the same flavor for more than a couple of hours other than a tobacco which I also change up to different blends. You could try using it as an accent flavor to spice up something. I do what I call mood mixes and I will mix up some stand alone flavors in a tank to experiment with how the compliment or overpower each other. Remember nothing is written in stone it is all up to what you think of the final product!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread