Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Suorin Air mod Pod Kit

HeDuvYY.jpg

5LyKBi9.jpg

Hello folks and welcome back to another one of my reviews. Today, we'll be taking a closer look at the Suorin Air Mod Pod Kit. This little gem kind of took me by surprise. It's the first Suorin product I've ever had the pleasure of trying out and I will tell you right off the bat, it exceeded my expectations.

First we'll take a quick peek at the what to expect in the package and a closer look at the device, and then I'll wrap the review up with some thoughts, experiences, and considerations. An overall rating that compares it against other devices with similar features will be posted at the end.

First off, I want to thank @Youmeit-Gina for giving me the opportunity to experience my first Suorin product, and making the overall process of receiving it fairly seamless.

As always, this review will be conducted in a fair and honest manner.

Without further ado, let's dive in.

(Photos can be clicked on to expand them for easier viewing)

The Package:

dkZSjPL.jpg

The contents of the package include:
    • The Suorin Air Mod Kit (which includes the pod cartridge)
    • 0.6 Ohm Mesh Coil (Recommended @ 25-30W)
    • 0.8 Ohm Mesh Coil (Recommended @ 15-18W)
    • USB Type-C Charging Cable
    • User Manual
    I think it's great that neither of the coils came pre-installed. When you do receive a kit that has a coil pre-installed, it more or less forces you to use that coil to start off. Say for example, if you're an MTL vaper and the 0.6 Ohm coil comes pre-install, you're more or less forced to start with the 0.6 Ohm coil which is more suited for a Restricted Direct Lung (RDL) style of vaping. So, kudos for that.

As you can see from the pictures, there aren't a whole lot of parts or pieces to this kit which makes it a great starting device for a new vaper, or even a vaper that's moving beyond a disposable or mini-pod device.

Color Options:

M9Je4L8.jpg

From Left to Right:
    • Sunglow Red
    • Gunmetal
    • Rainbow
    • Clear Red
    • Clear Green
    • Clear Blue
    • Black
    • Clear Silver
    I received the Sunglow Red colorway shown on the far left, and it's almost sort of pearlescent depending on the angle you view it from. Kind of like you'd expect from a rainbow colorway, but restricted to shades of silver, orange, and red. I think the look is very stylish, but with this type of shiny design, you can expect fingerprints.

A Closer Look:

ust0uag.jpg

Specs:
    • Material: Zinc-Alloy & PCTG
    • Dimensions: 42.6mm * 14.1mm * 99.6mm
    • Battery: 1500 mAh (Internal)
    • Available Power: 5-40W
    • Charging: Type-C (1.0 Amp)
    • Screen: 0.96 Inch TFT
    • Capacity: 3mL / 2mL (TPD)
    • Refill Location: Side Filling
    • Available Coils: 0.6 & 0.8 Ohm
    • Activation Methods: Button Firing & Auto-Draw
    • Ejuice Compatibility: Freebase & Salt Nic (up to 3% or 30 mg/mL would be my suggestion)
    The device is composed of a split combination of Zinc-Alloy and PCTG. The plastic portions have a clouded transparent look allowing you to see the inner workings of this pod kit. The aesthetic is meant to portray a cyberpunk theme which I think they did a pretty good job of. On the back you have a view of the mod chip that runs the 0.96 inch UI screen pictured in the bottom right. Listed from top-down, the UI displays: Remaining battery percentage in 25% increments, Wattage, Puff counter, Coil resistance, and a Puff timer.

Although simplistic, I really like the look of the display. The "scrolling dial" appearance of the puff counter adds a very nice touch. As a seasoned vaper, I do appreciate when displays include the Voltage and Amps the mod is using in helping to understand how the mod is behaving, but for the normal every-day user, this information probably doesn't do much more than clutter up the screen.

The Coils:

5ltsQf9.jpg

Top 2 pictures:
    0.6 Ohm Mesh Coil (Recommended @ 25-30W in RDL)

Bottom 2 pictures:
    0.8 Ohm Mesh Coil (Recommended @ 15-18W in MTL)

If you compare both pictures on the right side, you'll notice that the chimney for the 0.6 Ohm coil has a wider neck along the top which facilitates a greater amount of airflow through the coil. This would be ideal for an RDL-style vape. The skinnier neck on the 0.8 Ohm coil has a more restricted airflow indicating that this coil is more ideal for an MTL experience. The available airflow will be talked about more down below.

It should be noted that the max Wattage useable for the 0.8 Ohm coil is 18W - the device does not go higher than that. I've been vaping this coil at 15W without any issues what-so-ever. The best flavor was achieved at 18W, but I wouldn't recommend chain vaping at this Wattage.

The Battery & Charging:

C5hVo0c.jpg

The Suorin Air Mod packs a whopping 1500 mAh battery which is rather large for a device of this size. I'm not going to say it's tiny per se, but it's quite thin which makes it very pocket-friendly and you're not likely to find a device of this size with a much larger capacity battery.

On the bottom of the device you will find the Type-C charging port. Although this device has a rather large battery, the recharge speed is pretty slow for a Type-C cable. Using an Xtar PB2S charger, I clocked the advertised 1.0 Amp charging speed at 0.8 Amps which is fairly accurate but slow for a battery of this size. You can expect about a 1.5 to 2 hour charge time from a rather empty battery to a completely full battery. On the plus side of this, charging at 1.0 Amp is the healthiest for the lifespan of the battery. Chargers using higher Amps to support QC 3.0 charging speeds for example, cause a lot of excessive heat to the battery which shortens the overall lifespan of the device since these are internal batteries. Sure, they charge super quickly, but you can expect the battery in the device using QC 3.0 charging to last roughly 1/3 of the lifespan in comparison to a device consistently charging at 1.0 Amp.

Button Layout & Auto-Draw:

k4WLvpq.jpg

The first time you remove the pod from the device, you're going to find a free plastic sticker matted down over one of the magnets that holds the pod into the device. Remember to remove this before use. The button layout is fairly standard with the fire button on top and the [+] and [-] adjustment buttons right below it.

Pressing both [+] and [-] will lock and unlock the device from being able to make Wattage adjustments; the device however can still be fired via the fire button or using auto-draw. If you're concerned about the Air Mod firing in your pocket, press the fire button 5 times to turn it off and back on at a later time.

Pressing both [+] and the fire button simultaneously will bring up a screen where it will ask if you'd like to reset the puff counter. I love that there's a confirmation screen. In the past, for fear of resetting the puff counter without a confirmation screen, I've avoided testing the button configurations of various different devices. Almost every company uses different button combinations for shortcuts, and who really wants to dig out their device manual to remind them what button combinations do what? I'll pass.

That's really it. There are no submenus to deal with which makes this pod kit very simple and easy to operate.

wuOH0Au.jpg

The Air Mod is unique in the fact that the "drip tip" (or lack thereof) is built into the corner of the device. It took me a little bit to get used to its location, because in every device I've used in the past, the drip tip has always been centered. Depending on how you position your lips, it's almost like you're about to play a harmonica. Except instead of belting out some horrendously blended and mashed up notes (unless you're legitimately good at it), you're inhaling some great tasting vape. The auto-draw feature detects airflow quite well, and getting the pod kit to activate is easy on the lungs.

Taking a look down into the pod mod, you'll notice 2 spring-loaded brass connector pins, a silver auto-draw detector, a magnet band, and a few open areas that allows air up into the coil through the sliding airflow control shown below.

The Airflow Control:

GMWGUEf.jpg

As noted above, when pushing the airflow control slider up toward the pod, it's as restricted as it can go. I would consider this a loose Mouth to Lung, but you can still feel resistance when drawing vape into the mouth.

When the airflow control slider is pushed all the way down away from the pod, the airflow is as open as the device will allow. I would consider this a nice restricted direct lung vape.

It should be noted that the airflow slider is fairly loose, so make sure you check it before you vape if this is something you're very adamant about.

Priming & Refilling:

5qHTFzr.jpg

Before inserting your chosen coil into the pod, remember to prime it. Above the airflow slot and bottom seal (blue ring) of the coil, you'll see 4 juice ports blocked with cotton wicking. It is my recommendation that you fully saturate each of these 4 juice ports 3-4 times rotating the coil as you do each one. In the top right picture, you'll notice the juice bulging out from each of the juice ports - that means the wick is fully saturated and is no longer absorbing juice. This is ideal before inserting the coil into the pod.

Once the coil is inserted into the pod, flip the blue refill tab open and begin filling. The refill opening is about twice the size of a Gorilla bottle nozzle, so it will likely be quite easy to fit any bottle nozzle into the pod w/out getting juice spitback. I will note that it's quite hard to get the pod "completely" full due to the location of the refill hole, so stop trying after you fail 4-5 times like I did. XD

In the bottom right picture, I added a "Refill Line". I'd keep the juice level filled above this line at all times. I allowed the very first coil I used, which was the 0.6 Ohm coil, down a bit more than this and started getting a burnt taste. I'm not sure if this completely burned the wick so bad that it couldn't wick correctly, but I wasn't able to get rid of the burnt taste no matter what I tried. Onto the 0.8 Ohm coil I went.

My Review Experience and Other Notes:

32iUk4N.jpg

The first coil I tossed into the device was the 0.6 Ohm coil. I vaped it for 184 puffs at 25W before the battery needed to be recharged. During the 2nd battery discharge, I reached 324 puffs before I let the juice get too low and burnt the coil prematurely. I then switched to the 0.8 Ohm coil and ran it until the battery died at 369 puffs.

So, for the 0.6 Ohm coil @ 25W over almost 2 complete battery discharges, you can estimate about 170 puffs @ 25W per full battery drain/discharge.

From 369 puffs until 871, I ran the battery dry twice, averaging roughly 251 puffs per complete discharge using the 0.8 Ohm coil at 15W.

I'm now over 1000 puffs using the 0.8 Ohm coil and it's still going fairly strong. I will say being an RDL vaper, the 0.6 Ohm coil put out better flavor using an RDL configuration than the 0.8. However, if you're an MTL vaper and you know what to expect, I think the flavor of the 0.8 Ohm coil is pretty good for a loose MTL. Vaping the 0.8 Ohm coil as an RDL with the airflow all the way closed, yielded semi-close results to the 0.6 Ohm coil fully open. Overall, the Suorin Air Mod does a pretty good job of delivering quality flavor, and you gotta love the battery life on such a small device.

Pros
    • Very simple to assemble/use
    • Very thin and pocket-friendly
    • The style is original and unique
    • Solid build quality
    • Pod magnets are very strong and snappy
    • The colorways look great
    • Cool cyberpunk aesthetic
    • Love the display
    • Auto-Draw works very well
    • No spit back
    • Coils last a while (if you keep the juice above the refill line)
    • 1500 mAh battery
    • Good flavor delivery
    • No leaks other than from user error

Cons
    • Hard to utilize all 3mL of tank size due to refill hole positioning & refill line
    • Long recharge

Preference Considerations
    • Fairly small range of airflow options
    • Not a stealth vape - puts out a healthy amount of clouds no matter the configuration
    • Fingerprint magnet
    • 2 coil resistance options
    • Loose airflow control slider

Overall Rating:

Compared to other mini-pod devices: 8.5-9
    Compared to all devices: 8

Here's a link to GrimmGreen's review of this device. If you don't trust my opinion, maybe you'll trust his.

You can use these discount codes on youmeit's website at checkout:

Code: "lee9"
    for $9 off the Suorin Air Mod Pod Kit @ $27.99 - Suorin Air Mod Pod Kit- Buy Direct | YouMe
    Code:"lee13" for 13% OFF Sitewide - YouMe Online Vape Shop - Mods, Pods and Pens

As a reader, I hope you were able to get something out of this review whether it was for comparative reasons, or you simply wanted more information on it. Feel free to leave comments or to message me directly if you have any questions.

Once again, thank you @Youmeit-Gina for the opportunity to try out my first Suorin product!

To all and the future of vaping, happy hoarding!

:rickroll:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread