hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Welcome back for yet another review on a Suorin product. I was sent the Suorin Air Mod pod kit by Suorin for the purpose of providing to you a fair and honest review. If you follow my reviews then you’ll know that not too long ago I reviewed the Suorin Air Pro pod. The Air Mod looks somewhat similar but is different in many ways. It just so happens that I received the same color in both. It has a 1500mah battery along with a screen and airflow control so it is a bit of an upgrade from the Pro. It also has the smart function where it picks up the coil resistance and sets itself to a recommended wattage. To be honest, I had not given much consideration to Suorin products in the past but have enjoyed testing the devices I have been sent for reviews. The Mod is made partially of recycled materials which I found interesting. Before I go too far let’s take a look at what’s included and see how it performs.

Suorin-Air-Mod-Kit-Coming.jpg

Suorin-Air-Mod-Kit-Colors-Available.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1* Suorin Air Mod Kit
    1* 0.6ohm Coil
    1* 0.8ohm Coil
    1* User Manual

Suorin-Air-Mod-Kit-Package.jpg

IMG-6050.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:

Height: 99.6mm

Width: 42.6mm

Depth : 14.1mm

Material: Zinc Alloy + Plastic

Battery Capacity: 1500mAh

Cartridge Capacity: 3ml

Charging Interface : Type-C

Charging Current: 1.0A

Coil Resistance: 0.6ohm, 0.8ohm

Output Wattage: 5-40W

Working Voltage: 3.3-4.2V

Charging Time: 2H

Color: Clear Silver, Clear Blue, Clear Green, Clear Red, Gunmetal, Black, Sunglow

Red, Rainbow

Suorin-Air-Mod-Kit-Specification.jpg

FEATURES:

1. Ingeniously framed in solid zinc alloy on the one side

2. Translucent and lightweight PCTG cover on the other side

3. A sleek body with 1500mAh battery

4. Upgraded type-c fast charging

5. Refined heating dynamics, 0.96 inch TFT display

6. 0.6/0.8ohm sub ohm mesh coil to meet your different needs

7. Advanced conditioning mechanism

8. 3 original aeration holes to increase aerodynamic efficiency and channel air for cooling

9. Automatically detects coil's resistance to the according wattage

10. Made with recycled parts and from conflict-free materials

Suorin-Air-Mod-Kit-1500m-Ah-Battery-Capacity.jpg

Suorin-Air-Mod-Kit-Aeration-Holes.jpg

Suorin-Air-Mod-Kit-Breathtaking-Performance.jpg

Suorin-Air-Mod-Kit-Conditioning-Mechanism.jpg

Suorin-Air-Mod-Kit-Cyber-Mod-Design.jpg

Suorin-Air-Mod-Kit-Detect-coil-resistance.jpg

Suorin-Air-Mod-Kit-Exploded-View.jpg

Suorin-Air-Mod-Kit-Reduce-Reuse.jpg

Suorin-Air-Mod-Kit-Refined-Heating-Dynamics.jpg

Suorin-Air-Mod-Kit-TFT-Screen.jpg

Suorin-Air-Mod-Kit-Mesh-Coil.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

The Air Mod arrived in what has become familiar to me after receiving a few different kits from them which is a white two part box that once the top is removed shows the mod with the pod installed along with two coils, USB-C charging cable and user manual. The two coils included but not pre-installed are .6 ohm rated for 25-30 watts and .8 ohm rated for 15-18 watts. They are push to seat like most coils we see these days. The coils I received had those ratings on them while the picture above shows a little different ranges. I’m not sure why that’s different. I preferred the .6 coil at 23 watts and the .8 ohm coil at 16 watts.

IMG-6061.jpg

IMG-6064.jpg

IMG-6067.jpg

I thought the pod was an interesting design on this one. Rather than the usual opening in the battery unit that the pod just sits inside of the Mod has what I’m going to call a side pod that slides onto the side of the battery. The coil still makes contact on the bottom but the fill port is on the vertical side of the pod that rests against the battery unit. The plug on the fill port is very soft and easy to move for filling. I was able to fill easily with no mess using a 50ml plastic bottle. There are two magnets on the pod. One on the base above the coil and a second one on the vertical side that is actually in the center of the fill plug but not over the fill port. The pod has a 3ml liquid capacity which I think is decent for a device like this.

upload_2021-8-15_11-28-23.png

upload_2021-8-15_11-28-43.png

upload_2021-8-15_11-29-2.png

The Mod is made of zinc alloy and PCTG materials of which some are recycled materials. On what I’ll call the front side of the Mod is the .96” TFT display. The display shows the following top to bottom.

- Battery indicator

- Set wattage

- Puff counter

- Coil resistance

- Length of current puff

To me the display is very bright, clear to read, and the font is a good size. One other thing that I really appreciated was that the user guide was a bit larger than most and had larger print that was easier to read rather than the normal small print that is more common in user guides and almost requires glasses to read. The menu system on the Mod is very simple but not bad for a pod device. The Mod operation is as follows:

- Press the fire button five times to turn the device on or off

- In the unlocked state, use the + and – buttons to adjust the output

- Press the + and – buttons to lock the wattage adjustment. The mod will still fire

- Press the fire and + buttons and it will ask if you want to clear the puff counter. Press + to reset the counter or – to cancel

Also on the front with the display are the words “Suorin Ace Mod” etched into the zinc alloy. On the opposite side are the words “Designed by Suorin” etched. On the bottom of the unit is the USB-C charging port. Shown as a feature of this device is fast charging but it only charges at 1A and to me it really didn’t charge “fast” but more like what I would call normal.

On the thin side of the PCTG is a sliding airflow control along with the fire button and + and – buttons. The buttons are made from the same transparent plastic as that side of the mod. I received the clear green color for the review and I really wish that the buttons and airflow control were either a different color or chromed so they could easily be seen. Maybe it’s my eyes but with the color I received it’s difficult to see the controls.

On the clear portion of the top is the mouthpiece opening. It doesn’t have a tip but the opening is molded into the pod. I could see some lint or something getting into this if it was consistently pocket carried. Perhaps some sort of cap or plug could be included to keep the opening clean. Also, like the Air Pro, the zinc portion of the mod is really shiny and a fingerprint magnet.

upload_2021-8-15_11-31-19.png

upload_2021-8-15_11-31-36.png

upload_2021-8-15_11-31-54.png

upload_2021-8-15_11-32-12.png

upload_2021-8-15_11-32-31.png

FINAL THOUGHTS:

The Air Mod is very thin and compact which can make for a very easily pocket carried device. Whether using the device is used in auto fire or button fire it performed well with both coils. I liked the .6 coil at around 22 watts and used the .8 coil at 14 watts. I ended up preferring both to be used on auto mode with this device. The auto worked very well whether the airflow was open or closed and could even close it completely to get a fairly tight MTL draw with the .8 coil.

The battery life seemed very good to me and was able to get over 300 puffs with the .6 coil on a single charge but I may take shorter puffs than some people. The “fast” charge really didn’t seem that fast to me but the charging time was reasonable for a 1500mah battery.

I thought it was really cool that half of the mod is transparent and you can see the electronics. The screen was plenty big and easy to see and read. What I really don’t care for is the shiny fingerprint laden zinc side. This sample was the same color as the Air Pro I received and perhaps it wouldn’t be as noticeable with a different color. Speaking of things being the same color, I felt like the controls should have been a different color than the mod simply so they could be more easily seen.

So, would I recommend the Suorin Air Mod to you? I felt like the performance of the Mod was very good and gave very good flavor and plenty of vapor production. The main problem I had was it was aesthetics. If you want a long lasting device that is easy to fill and very thin to make pocket carrying easy and performs well then yes if the fingerprint thing doesn’t bother you too much.

I’d like to thank Suorin and Mira for sending the Air Mod for this review and thanks to you the readers. Below is a link to their site for your viewing enjoyment.

air mod (suorin.com)

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Good review! It’s nice to see they’re trying to be more eco-friendly by using recycled materials. I am disappointed they didn’t change the shiny surface. It’s more of a fingerprint magnet than any other piece of gear I have.

Thanks. It must not bother some since they keep making them like that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread