Super atty!! Or when 3.7 really feels like 5.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Just more than 2 weeks ago I put a new atty on my 510 prodigy. I primed it, loaded a full cart, took a few drags on it, and then put it down for about 10 minutes. Then I picked it up and started vaping it. Fairly soon the atty got fully primed and we were off to the races.

But, this thing kicked like a mule! I stopped and started taking a good look at the prodigy, this was no normal 5 volt vape. It felt just like 6 volts. I started looking for a reason why my resistor was bypassed. I checked everything out and everything looked normal. There was nothing wrong with the prodigy. I said, how can this be, it feels as harsh as 6 volts but it really isn't, it's 5 volts.

So if it wasn't the prodigy it must be the atty. Sure enough the atty resistance was 2.5 ohms. Almost every new 510 atty I have tested runs between 3.1 and 3.3 ohms. This was really great, I switched to using it at 3.7 volts and it vaped just like 5.0 volts.

That's the way I used it, on 3.7 volts for just a little over 2 weeks before it died. it was fun while it lasted! The moral to this story is that if you are lucky enough to find one of these super attys cherish the vaping while you can because it won't last very long.

Kevin

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
That's weird Kevin, I have 10 spare atty's(510) right now and I tested their respective resistances a few weeks ago. All of them(and they are from 2 or 3 different suppliers) tested at either 2.3 or 2.4 ohms. I just thought that was the standard 510 atty resistance. I know the 901's are usually in the 3 to 3.5 range.

Well that's strange, this is the first one I have found that low. You might have some hot and short life attys there too. I have so many spares that I haven't looked to see if I had any more like this one. I guess I've gone through 12 attys so far. Five of them are dead now, bless their heart, but all have been over 3.1 ohms. But, I'm not using a certified meter either.

Kevin

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
Well that's strange, this is the first one I have found that low. You might have some hot and short life attys there too. I have so many spares that I haven't looked to see if I had any more like this one. I guess I've gone through 12 attys so far. Five of them are dead now, bless their heart, but all have been over 3.1 ohms. But, I'm not using a certified meter either.

Kevin

All of my joye 510s have been 2.5. The knock-offs I got were all 3.5.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Well, I guess I need a more acurate meter. So just take my readings as not being precise but the difference should be acurate. So the hot atty was 0.7 ohms lower than my other attys. I at one time had a very good fluke meter but it seems to have migrated to my Son's tool kit. Funny how those things happen.

Maybe I'm all wet.

them0nk

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
San Bernardino, CA
I at one time had a very good fluke meter but it seems to have migrated to my Son's tool kit. Funny how those things happen.

Maybe I'm all wet.

sneak it back into your toolbox... of course put the one you have in there... lol...

actually i worked a machine shop that was a father son operation.... the son has LOTS of "his" tools... that couldn't possibly be his because they're older than he is :p hahaha... and i've heard conflicting opinions about the tool box... his dad says one thing, he says another lol... was pretty funny to watch them bicker.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Yup, all of my genuine Joye attys are in the low 2 Ohm range when measured on the Fluke 79. My SLB 510 "clones" measure just a bit above 3.0 Ohms... which is 901 range.

I had one monster 510 Joye atty that was at 1.9 Ohms. Lasted me 4 weeks before she finally went open. I mourn her passing.

Thanks for backing up my theory. I knew that what I discovered was real. I guess it was an out of spec nichrome in the coil.

How do you measure this?

You check the resistance from the center connector to the outer threads on the atty.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread