Super Frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefly0434

May 10, 2013
Newark OH
I have been trying to make the switch for a year this month. I have an entire cabinet FULL of various vaping supplies and just can't seem to find something that doesn't make me cough the instant I inhale. Its this horrible tickle chocking feeling like when you accidentally inhale ammonia or something. Has anyone else had this problem? How do you get around it?

Snapdragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Could be the quality of the juice you're vaping. As a noob I just vaped what my ecig supplier carried, which was definitely lower end, and I coughed till my throat was sore. Trying juices from different vendors cleared that up and now I know what works for me.

Maybe trying some samplers from a few different companies will help you out.

03FXDWG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
East Central, Missouri
I would try a variety--all vg, all pg, unflavored & different vendors. Nicotine & PG can both cause your issue. It's also possible that you're getting dry hits & that will definitely feel like breathing ammonia. I accidentally cranked my vv too high & was getting dry hits. Coughing, gasping, eyes watering & afraid to try it again until I figured out the issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Regular hits are usually warm and smooth with good flavor and good vapor. Dry hits tend to be hot, burnt tasting with little or no vapor. Basically means you're inhaling the essence of burnt wicking material. No pleasant at all. If this is the case, you may want to check your juice delivery system to see if it is clogged or set up wrong.

chapeltown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
United States
Ha! Yeah! To me, a dry hit is an awful lot like lighting a cigarette from the wrong end!
For Higher VG or PG free stuff, you would do well to go with Johnson Creek (red oak line), Heather's Heavenly Vapes ( purity line) or ECBlend Flavors (AN&O- all natural and organic) They have a 100vg Pecan I got with double extra flavor that is so good, I vape some every day! Good luck, and get us an update soon!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jelder227

Feb 4, 2010
Texas
Dry hit = lighting cigarette from wrong end . . . best description I've heard! You will know if that is the problem. It's terrible!

Assuming that is not your problem, my husband has the same issue. He has quit smoking, but occasionally would like the nicotine. Also he loves the smell/flavor of some of my juices. I think I'll try some straight VG and see if that works for him.

firefly0434

May 10, 2013
Newark OH
Well I finally figured out what it was that makes me cough so bad... its the nicotine... I went to a vape shop to see if I could try some of their flavors (no nicotine)and never coughed once, as soon as I bought the bottle, took it home loaded it up and it was the same thing coughing and hacking. I can't figure out why it would be different than smoking a cigarette with nicotine? I only had 8 mg juice so I am not sure what to do? Buy 4 or 2mg and just vape more?

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Try a 50/50 juice first and if PG, which delivers a stronger throat and lung hit, is the problem you'll know. But I wouldn't jump to 100% VG right off as for some, myself included, it can makes the chest feel "heavy" because the vapor is thicker... fills up the lungs more I guess. 100% VG also means cleaning heads more often or replacing so if 50/50 works, why go there? In fact, you could go to Walmart (pharmacy section) and get some VG to try... then dilute what juice you have with it rather than throw it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread