What makes me cough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdubbie

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2013
Dallas
So I have a question that's been nagging me for some time.

I've been vaping for about 2 years. Every once in a while, I will try a juice that when I first inhale, instantly makes me cough. The cough isn't from too big a throat hit from high nicotine (since my nicotine is only 4 or 6 mg) and I've been able to handle up to 24mg no problem.

It's just this weird sensation that tickles the back of my throat with certain juices. I inhale and instantly cough. I'll take another pull, again cough. In fact with these juices, it usually takes about 10+ pulls before I get used to it.

Anyone know why low nic juices may do this?

Tonkpils

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2015
Ontario
E-liquids are not all created equal. The VG/PG Ratio is the most likely culprit since liquids with higher PG content have more throat-hit. However it could also be poor quality ingredients just the same.

This, I've found liquids of the same nic strength and PG:VG ratio are not all equally smooth.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY

I've been vaping for about 2 years. Every once in a while, I will try a juice that when I first inhale, instantly makes me cough. The cough isn't from too big a throat hit from high nicotine (since my nicotine is only 4 or 6 mg) and I've been able to handle up to 24mg no problem.

It's just this weird sensation that tickles the back of my throat with certain juices. I inhale and instantly cough. I'll take another pull, again cough. In fact with these juices, it usually takes about 10+ pulls before I get used to it.

Everyone is so differrent I'd say it was impossible to do more then guess.

Flavoring is always the starting place to look for me. I don't use any of the "bad" flavorings but the "good" flavorings don't have much proof either. So long term I can't make predictions. But short term I can. And some flavorings make me cough. Two of the people I make juice for love this flavor, one only uses it, and in testing it I cough fast and hard. But they do it all day so its not that flavor on humans its that flavors on SOME humans.

Nic level doesn't seem to bother my throat. It causes other trouble of coarse but coughing isn't one for me and it sounds like you.

The next thing that makes me cough is PG. Higher VG seems to be the normal these days so most people seem to have zero trouble with it but I'm not completely sold on it being consequence free. Both in terms of health which would be first but also wicking and so on. But PG doesn't agree with me at all. Trying to find a balance is hard. If your testing new juices you may be getting more PG then your used too maybe?? 55/50 and I'm on the floor coughing.

Two other things I can think of but they are both connected to each other and possibly PG as well. Heat and dryness.

I'm actually starting to wonder if I'm not like hyper sensitive or something. Or it could just be I feel so much better not smoking that I wanna feel better and better and better. Like I quit smoking finally with a Nautilus at like 10w. But I was just off smokes and was used to burning hot air crashing into my lungs and coughing most of the time. Now when I get a Nautilus down that burning hot vapor and massive PG hit hurt. Like as in hurt why are you doing this hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread