sweeteners

Status
Not open for further replies.

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
The standard "sweetener" liquids sold by most DIY suppliers is sucralose, which is a synthetic sugar that is SUPER sweet--600 times sweeter than table sugar (sucrose). It is the main sweetening ingredient in Splenda.

Some folks (like me) who do DIY are a little wary of synthetic sweeteners, and have tried liquid Stevia. I've used it in several of my DIY mixtures, and I think it works just fine. Not as intensely sweet as sucralose, but then again, it's natural, not some lab-created franken-sugar. Some brands of Stevia liquid can have a liquorice or bitter aftertaste, so don't buy the cheap brands.

The "onset" of the sweetness of Stevia isn't as sudden as sucralose (or even real" sugar), but the sweetness lasts longer in your mouth, so if you use Stevia for DIY liquids, give it some time when you're test-vaping your mixtures. It sort of creeps up on you, instead of smacking you in the gob with sweetness. It's easy to over-sweeten with Stevia--and when you do, it tastes like crap all of a sudden...

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
To add to Stereo's post, be careful if you do try Stevia. Try it in a small bottle. I've never used it in my juice, but I have tried Stevia in tea, coffee and things like that and I never did like it. Something about the "flavor" of the sweetness was offputing to me but my old roommate loved it. Like he said go slow, it's not for everybody. I still may end up liking it in juice, like I said, i've never tried it, but I really didn't like it at all in any beverages.

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
A lot of people claim that they don't like the "taste of stevia" and I was one of them.

Until I found this new bottle at a local health food store....

If you look at the label, almost ALL stevia (powder and liquid) lists "natural and artificial flavors" in addition to stevia and VG. It took me looking at every label of every brand in three different stores before I found a brand that contained only stevia and VG. And, lo and behold--it does not have those weird liquorice/bitter aftertastes, unless you use WAY too much of it.

Of course, YMMV, but we need to remember to read the labels of our ingredients, and REALLY understand what they say...

Sovran

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
State side
Thanks for the replies.
@Phreaky no it was fresh, but it is currently steeping. I figured I would try it again this weekend.
@Stereo splenda huh? I may have to try making some sweetener mixing a packet of splenda and pg. I just ordered a bunch of flavors and juices that will keep me set for awhile, cant see paying shipping on one vial of sweetener. As for stevia, I will keep it in mind for later experimenting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread