Status
Not open for further replies.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
while I have dropped my nic level from 18mg initially down to 6mg, some of that is offset I believe by using a sub ohm device (as I understand it, getting a little more bang for my buck on lower nic level with sub ohm)... but I have to admit, I don't think I will ever go 0mg... 3mg, yes... I still kind of like the nic...

Inka

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2015
AZ
Congrats on 17 days!!! Friday makes 9th week off analogs for me. I was a pack a day smoker of ultra lights, smoked over 30 yrs. Started nic at 15mg, did that for a month, then went to 12mg of nic for 3 weeks, then to 11mg for 1 week and last week went to 10mg. I will probably stay at 10mg nic for 3 weeks and then go down to 9mg for a week and then 8mg for three weeks...gradually go down till I reach 0mg nic. Going down 1 mg I don't feel it, but when I went down another mg this week, I can slightly feel the difference. I still have times when I think "I want a cigarette" but it's a fleeting thought that passes...I tell myself "No you don't" and then the urge is gone. Those "fleeting" thoughts are getting farther apart.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Thank you! I just feel really good vaping. Lord knows this is my umpteenth time quitting-the most successful was 2 years ago cold turkey and I stayed quit for 6 months. But boy oh boy was it HARD-a bout with finding out my bf was cheating sent me off the deep end. And before that, I tried NRT (patches, gum) and Wellbutrin. Each one of those I felt like I was dying. Vaping is the only thing that made me feel like normal as I quit. So I was wondering, do I even really need the nicotine?

I don't know how heavy of a smoker you were or how addicted you were to the nic. I only know that I see people all of the time that cut out the nic too early and end up going back to smoking. It is possible that you were only addicted to the actual habit of smoking. In that case, you would be fine at zero nic.

I have been vaping for 5 years. I started at 36 mg and am down to 12 mg now. I have no intention of dropping again anytime soon. Like you, I quit cold turkey ( wellbutrin) once for 5 years. Yep, ended up going right back to smoking. I do not want to go through that again and am comfortable where I am for now.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Congrats on 17 days!!! Friday makes 9th week off analogs for me. I was a pack a day smoker of ultra lights, smoked over 30 yrs. Started nic at 15mg, did that for a month, then went to 12mg of nic for 3 weeks, then to 11mg for 1 week and last week went to 10mg. I will probably stay at 10mg nic for 3 weeks and then go down to 9mg for a week and then 8mg for three weeks...gradually go down till I reach 0mg nic. Going down 1 mg I don't feel it, but when I went down another mg this week, I can slightly feel the difference. I still have times when I think "I want a cigarette" but it's a fleeting thought that passes...I tell myself "No you don't" and then the urge is gone. Those "fleeting" thoughts are getting farther apart.

I also smoked ultra-lights, about a pk a day, if not more, but I had to start at 6mg, i vaped so constantly that anything stronger made me nauseous, but I've gone up on my nic since then, to 8mg when I stopped smoking, then 9mg, then when I recovered from my relapse I went to 10mg, and have stayed there very comfortably. After I'm finished with WTA in my regular vape, in the fall, I might drop my nic to about 5mg, to see if it helps my cold hands and feet, because when I first started, at 6mg, I did get a bit of relief with my "popsicle paws."

Andria

Reactions: Inka

trevortreachery

May 1, 2015
from studies that I have seen, nicotine is not even harmful to your health, actually improves brain function and is no more addictive than caffeine. It is the chemicals in cigarettes that alter the effects of nicotine and make it much more addictive. If you feel like you need the nicotine, use it, if you feel like you can go down, go down, it's all on you and whatever keeps you off cigs. I started with 18mg coming from cigarettes when I started with a pen and tank setup. Now that I am dripping, I am at a 0-3mg alternation. One thing that is a plus to using less nicotine is much more flavor. Best of luck.

Kinser

Moved On
May 1, 2015
Florida
I started with 24mg back in 2013 and gradually got down to 12mg and sometimes 6mg (using a sub-ohm head) but sometimes I need an 18mg juice. If the goal is to eventually eliminate nicotine (which I won't do--I like the nic) I would suggest doing so gradually. With less nic you may feel the need for more power as I do when I use my Atlantis (though for me, it was the opposite, I was using my 12 in that and the lung hit was too much so I went for a 6).

As I mix much of my own juice, I went from 24 to 18 to 15 then 12 and finally 9 (most common for me to vape that mg these days). If you don't mix your own but have several juices you like, I would suggest getting one bottle in a higher nicotine (say a 18) and one in a lower level (say a 6 or even 0) and mixing the two. That way you won't have flavor dilution as you would have mixing in pg or vg.

For example, I like to vape a particular juice (we'll call it juice X as I don't know the rules about posting brand names of juices here yet). I would buy juice X in 18 and in 0 to get juice X in 9mg strength. 9mg is an uncommon nic level for most store bought juices in my experience.

Reactions: AndriaD

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Here's my 2 cents. When I quit in January, I started with 24 mg juice. When I started subohming a little over a month ago, I quickly went down to 6 mg, which is where I am now. A couple of weeks ago, I tried a bottle of 3 mg. I could tell that I was definitely missing the nicotine, as I was chain vaping that thing like a fiend. Even with that small different in nic level, my body could tell and was craving more. With a combination of the higher usage due to subohming, and the fact that I do vape a bit more at 6 mg versus 24 mg, my juice usage has doubled compared to when I started. At 24 mg, I was vaping about 3 ml a day. At 6 mg, I'm now vaping anywhere from 4-6 ml a day.

Exactly why I stay at 12 mg. I find that if I try to go lower, I just vape more. When I started reducing down from 36 mg, I did it 2 mgs at a time and about a month apart. Everyone is different and I do know people that don't notice when they lower their nic.

On the rare occasion that I use sub ohm coils, I do lower it down to about 3 mgs though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread