switching brand and need advice on a carto punch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
First: I have been vaping since Aug 2013! Like most of us, I have spent a good amount of money figuring out what I like as well as gathering things just cuz they look cool... In the first two or three months I bought sooooo much stuff, mostly every clearomizer out there! Most of which are sitting in a box waiting to PIF. When I come across a new vaper in need I send them a few things. I made the switch to cartomizers/carto tanks in November of 2013 and have been using those exclusively til now! I tried a few, found I preferred single coil, boge slotted the best. Mostly because I was able to prime them easily and they seemed to stay wet and I never had issues burning them. I figured it was because they are slotted. Recently I have been in a pinch financially so I dug out all the stuff I had collected early on. Luckily I had a couple smok cartos in that stash, so I tried em... I am so glad this happened... I really like the draw and the flavor much more with the smok cartos in comparison to my beloved slotted boges... I have not had one single wicking issue and I really am surprised at the difference in flavor. It is much cleaner and seems to produce great vapor as well... so, from now on... I will be getting the smok cartos instead...

I have a bazillion NOT punched smok cartos in a drawer and I would love to get some use out of them. However, I do not have a punch- I prefer to get one that works well! I do not want to do what I usually do and buy cheap first and end up spending WAY more in the long run because I was trying to save money. I would really appreciate some advice- what is the best carto punch? One that will not buckle my cartos and make them useless? Is there a way to punch them at home that doesn't require purchasing a punch? Thanks in advance for the help!!! HAVE A SUPER DAY!

TheOnyxEgg

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Dremel and a cutting wheel.
Made a wooden jig to slot the cartos. Takes about 15 seconds for each one.

+1 for Dremel and cutting wheel. If you have to punch/slot your own cartos I think this method leaves the least chance of chewing up you're O-rings on the tank. Just be on the look out for sharp edges or burrs that are left over.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
the other option is to get a saddle valve from the hardware store:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3-...n-Self-Tapping-Saddle-Valve-LFA-141/202850395

These work great and give you a little better leverage than a lot of the carto punch tools out there

^^^ That, because that's all most carto punch tools are anyway. And since they are designed for "only once" use - including the parts most carto punch tools are made of - you have to replace them after a certain amount of repeated use. Once it starts denting cartos and making "out of control" too big holes it's time to get another one.

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
I am over the moon happy with the performance and flavor I am getting from these smok cartos... they are so much better than those darn slotted boges.., I swear I am so greatful my budget forced me to use my back ups stash, lol
I use Smok single coil cartos exclusively. They just seem to have the best flavor and production. The punch I use was purchased from Phiniac and it works really well. I may have to try out that bullet punch though...looks interesting...

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread