Slotting Vs. Punching

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrLunatic

Apr 3, 2012
St.Louis
Everyone has had this question on their mind if they are a frequent tank user.

Personally I punch my cartos, for one reason... thats the only way I have ever known.

People claim, "Punching distorts cartos." and others claim "Slotting creates metal shards that will lead to inhalation of metal flakes."

Both of these arguments are valid. If you punch a carto too low, it will not seal right and you have now successfully ruined a cartomizer. When you slot a carto, the dremel wheel cuts away at the wall and creates metal shavings/debris. Where do those shavings end up? are they inside the carto? could you in theory end up inhaling pieces of metal?

What is your take? What do you do as far as preparing a cartomizer for tank usage?

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I dont use cartos to much, but when I do I use to slot mine, I also put a piece of tape over the carto where I'm going to slot it to help grab any shavings, the filler backs it up behind the metal pretty much, all that I ever get is a very light dust which I brush away with a small paint brush and maybe a small dark stain,,,,, but it you want to do both you can use the technique I use now its a slot with a hole without punching, see pics below using a dremmel to pre slot, then a needle to make the hole, you can use 1,2 or 3 holes depending on how thin or thick the viscosity of your juices is and also make the hole any size you want to =

Attachments

• IMG_0401 (480x640).jpg
    IMG_0401 (480x640).jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 816
  • IMG_0405 (480x640).jpg
    IMG_0405 (480x640).jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 831
  • IMG_0394 (480x640).jpg
    IMG_0394 (480x640).jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 955

MrWarspite

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
I dont use cartos to much, but when I do I use to slot mine, I also put a piece of tape over the carto where I'm going to slot it to help grab any shavings, the filler backs it up behind the metal pretty much, all that I ever get is a very light dust which I brush away with a small paint brush and maybe a small dark stain,,,,, but it you want to do both you can use the technique I use now its a slot with a hole without punching, see pics below using a dremmel to pre slot, then a needle to make the hole, you can use 1,2 or 3 holes depending on how thin or thick the viscosity of your juices is and also make the hole any size you want to =

so you dremel out the slot but stop before punching through the inner wall? Then what are you doing?

craftmath

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2011
Wilson, NC
I've slotted and punched and I prefer punched. For thick juices like AVE 100% VG, I go with 3 holes using a saddle valve from Lowe's. Once it "pops" I screw another half turn to make the punched hole bigger. For anything higher in pg (50% or more, 1 hole will suffice), or it has for me. I slotted cartos according to PBusardo's video on YouTube and it did work, but here's the problem you can run into. If you slot too big, you will have flooding. Also, if you reuse cartos, the slotted carto has often flooded with me. I'm guessing the polyfil around the slot gets really worn down and looses its ability to absorb after being cleaned (boiling method).
Downside to punching? If you have stainless steel endcaps on a tank, and you punch too many holes, you do reshape the cylindrical shape of the carto making it difficult, and sometimes impossible to insert the carto, and then its just more of a pain to refill. I use homemade tanks mostly with a fill port, and the rubber grommets will easily slide over these "reshaped" cartos when assembling a tank.

Just my opinion. And opinions do change, so I may not be doing this same method 6 months from now, but punching works for me. :)

Andy Thatcher

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2012
Brit in Orlando
Slotter here. Sorry cheap skate slotter.

I use a small Ryobi drill and a Dremel cutting disk takes a bit longer than with a Dremel but works with patience.

Reason for slotting instead of punching is that I have more control over the process. Used to punch and maybe it is my over exuberance but punctured the center tube that the vapor travels through meaning leaking juice and gurgling.

With slots I know I never come close to touching the integrity of that tube and to me they seem to wick better giving more area of the filler to use.

Don't think you can be wrong in this and if it works for you cool, whatever that is :D

DedTV

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2012
Arkansas
I usually get the predrilled 3 hole smoketeks. They work fine with all but the thickest juices.

For those, I slot with a dremmel and use a mini keyboard vaccum to pull out any shavings that might be left hanging around. Don't like the saddle valve because it does tend to crush and deform cartos and I don't have a drill press or vice and jig to make drilling a good option.

Urge

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2011
Shrubburbia Ma.
I use GoGo cartos and I drill out 2 holes on a new tank after I soak and remove the filler. I have a length of brass pipe that goes over the center tube and protects it from the drill hitting it and ruining the center tube (ask me how I know)and the carto. I start with a 1/16th drill bit and go up by 1/64th at a time to minimize any burring on the inside. I rebuild my cartos and I can't reliably replace the filler with a carto that has been punched because the metal pieces are sticking into the carto and the filler hangs up on the metal.

Urge

craftmath

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2011
Wilson, NC
I've slotted and punched and I prefer punched. For thick juices like AVE 100% VG, I go with 3 holes using a saddle valve from Lowe's. Once it "pops" I screw another half turn to make the punched hole bigger. For anything higher in pg (50% or more, 1 hole will suffice), or it has for me. I slotted cartos according to PBusardo's video on YouTube and it did work, but here's the problem you can run into. If you slot too big, you will have flooding. Also, if you reuse cartos, the slotted carto has often flooded with me. I'm guessing the polyfil around the slot gets really worn down and looses its ability to absorb after being cleaned (boiling method).
Downside to punching? If you have stainless steel endcaps on a tank, and you punch too many holes, you do reshape the cylindrical shape of the carto making it difficult, and sometimes impossible to insert the carto, and then its just more of a pain to refill. I use homemade tanks mostly with a fill port, and the rubber grommets will easily slide over these "reshaped" cartos when assembling a tank.

Just my opinion. And opinions do change, so I may not be doing this same method 6 months from now, but punching works for me. :)

My opinion has changed just TODAY. I was going through my usual routine of punching 3 holes in a boge LR carto and then filled the tank which it would reside in for the next 4 or 5 days. Ten minutes later... flooding from the bottom. I know that no two cartos are the same. Out of the 10+ cartos I've punched with 3 or 4 holes, this is the first carto to cause flooding with 100%VG (AVE juice).
The more I think about it, when I first started vaping 100% vg, it was in a pre punched carto (one itty bitty hole), and it did just fine. With that in mind, one hole it is. Will keep you all posted.

hmlessalky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Imperial, MO
I slot myself. Just seems easier. As fat as inhaling metal shavings, the chances of any metal working its was through all that filler is next to none. If I am going to do a bunch I will flush the carto out with water from the top and let them dry. But usually I just slot, give a good blow-through, wipe and let it rip.

Kevin J

stevohump

Feb 13, 2012
Valley, Alabama
I usually have really good luck with slotting my Boges, but I am having a problem and I think that the drimmle bit is burning the filler material after it cuts thru the carto. One slot...carto still dry. Two slots, three slots. Carto still dry. I think it has something to do with burnt filler material after slotting. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to fix this carto?
Thanks

hmlessalky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Imperial, MO
I always get out a dental pick and pry out any metal that stays in there and fluff the filler. Also be sure to cut at low speed or with very little pressure to avoid too much heat. I never need more than one good slot. I also have good luck with Boges in my short tanks, and have been using Kangers in my full length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread