Syringes and Needles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybearizzi

Feb 5, 2012
San Diego, CA
Just gotten into DIY and still a noob but just wondering the different gauges of needles and the sizes of syringes needed.

So far my 20 gauge needles work pretty well for thin PG and putting into clearomizers and vials and the 14 gauge needles really work great on really thick VG base liquids. Any type of needles or size syringes should be a good recommendation or variation of some sort to start as an ideal mixer kit?

wizard10000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
midwestern us
I think you're set on needles - I use 1cc syringes for flavoring and 5 or 6, 10 and 20cc syringes for mixing.

I work in VG and use the 20cc syringe for mixing - rather than try to draw the VG up into the syringe I pull the plunger out, fill the syringe from the top and use the plunger to push the stuff into the bottle ;)

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I think you're set on needles - I use 1cc syringes for flavoring and 5 or 6, 10 and 20cc syringes for mixing.

I work in VG and use the 20cc syringe for mixing - rather than try to draw the VG up into the syringe I pull the plunger out, fill the syringe from the top and use the plunger to push the stuff into the bottle ;)

That's what I do too. I don't even use a needle for dispensing VG. I just take the needle off, pour the VG into the syringe up to the correct ml mark (with my finger over the syringe opening), then put the plunger in to dispense straight from the syringe into my bottle.

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
I use 14 & 18 gauge needles and 1ml, 3ml, 5ml & 10 ml syringes (use 1ml & 10ml the most). Of course, make sure you are using blunt needles and the Luer Locking are the best imo, Once before I knew there was a difference, while I was pushing juice into my bottle I had the needle pop off, messy for sure. Also, put some clear packing tape over the numbers on the outside, otherwise they will wear off.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I use 14 & 18 gauge needles and 1ml, 3ml, 5ml & 10 ml syringes (use 1ml & 10ml the most). Of course, make sure you are using blunt needles and the Luer Locking are the best imo, Once before I knew there was a difference, while I was pushing juice into my bottle I had the needle pop off, messy for sure. Also, put some clear packing tape over the numbers on the outside, otherwise they will wear off.

Clear nail polish or spray paint works too.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
That's what I do too. I don't even use a needle for dispensing VG. I just take the needle off, pour the VG into the syringe up to the correct ml mark (with my finger over the syringe opening), then put the plunger in to dispense straight from the syringe into my bottle.

Ditto. Glad to see I'm not the only one that mixes with a syringe sans needles. For a 30ml mix I use a 20ml for base/nic and a 5ml for flav. When mixing larger volume base/nic, I use a 100ml graduated cylinder.

Jaybearizzi

Feb 5, 2012
San Diego, CA

Nice, I seen some at madvapes that I had my eyes on. and thanks to wizard10000 for the dispensing VG tip sounds pretty easy to do it that way.

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
Maybe a little OT but why is it such a PITA to buy serynge in Illinois? found a lot of great deal near me but you have to be a doc or a vet, and prove it, to be able to buy....

Your state has not deregulated the sale of syringes, I believe only about 11 states in the U.S have.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I use syringes for mixing. They are more accurate than counting drops. 14ga blunt tip needles will pull VG up into the syringe. Once the syringe is full, with whatever level I want, I remove the luer lok needle to dispense the liquid, directly from the syringe, because I don't know the volume of the blunt tip needle.

Tona Aspsusa

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
Finland

I do use a needle - don't know the gauge, but it is a big ... one, 80mm (>3inches) long. I wish I had that length in a few other gauges.

Eh, but what I wanted to say is that just by chance I discovered that if you ever use Boge cartos you don't need to use your finger as a stopper to be able to use a syringe as an improvised cylinder. The "buttplug" that comes with the cartos is the perfect size to plug it with, and it stays put very well.
I sometimes cut it off a bit, but that's probably more cosmetic than anything, don't think the thin little end sticking up into the syringe matters much in anything bigger than 2ml.

Luer Locking are the best imo, Once before I knew there was a difference, while I was pushing juice into my bottle I had the needle pop off, messy for sure. Also, put some clear packing tape over the numbers on the outside, otherwise they will wear off.

Heh, I've had that happen to me once, but that was sort of special so I've not gone hunting for luer lock yet - luer slip is working good enough for me, I like the convenience and being even a bit careful haven't had much problems.
(That one time: I had a *very* thin needle attached, something like 26G, this needle was also kind of damaged from me using it to micro-drip on an atty and scratching it against the mesh on the bridge, and the liquid I was messing with contained an extraction that had small particulates in it - splosh! And then I cleaned it out in alcohol and got a bit impatient - splosh, splosh! that needle is no longer a part of my set-up... )

I've seen the advice about tape or nailpolish time and time again. I wonder what I am doing wrong, because so far all the markings on my syringes are still there, hardly even faded.
Maybe it is because I never let the syringes stand in a bottle, and always wipe them off and rinse them with alcohol immediately? Or maybe the syringes my local pharmacy sells are just superior?
(I have one from LF too, but have only used it once, will be interesting to see if that one fades faster.)

Blunt tips are probably good, but personally I don't mind the sharps at all and those are easier to find. Sharps will also have a slightly bigger opening than blunts (oval vs round), so with something gooey (VG-heavy) they are definitely a bit easier.

The only thing I don't yet have, but wish for is a long needle (40mm/1½" or more) that would fit through the dropper cap on most of my bottles of flavouring. It is messy having to remove the droppers, and sometimes I'm lazy and do use drops instead of measuring, so I don't want them permanently removed.
A 22G is *just* a little bit too thick, and the thinner ones I bought (26G and 27G) are far too short to be useful for this at all.
I think I will take one of the flavouring bottles with me to my very nice pharmacy* and explain the problem, hopefully they'll be kind and order something in if they don't already have it.

*They are really great - except that they don't really do any compounding and hence don't have things like pure VG or essential oils - always willing to look stuff up, or even phone other pharmacies if they happen to be out of something and you need it quickly. And when it comes to syringes I discovered that they are even pretty cheap: I paid 20 cents (euro) per 1ml syringe, and later I saw someone linking to a 100 pcs box of the exact same model for 19.90 $ on ebay or amazon. Not bad for a small private pharmacy in a notoriously expensive part of an even more notoriously expensive city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread