• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

System Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shogun1024

Senior Vapaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2011
Charlotte
<--- System: Top Secret!

Position 1 and holding. C'mon ya mega folders.. giddy up!! LOL.

Still I'm coming for that 1,000,000 club, after taxes the 1100t and gtx460's are hitting a second comp for folding. My main rig is gonna be rocking a Amd fx-8350 and a gtx690 hopefully. May have a chance to get ya Dusty :)

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
CPU: Intel Core i7 930 (Bloomfield) @ 4ghz
RAM: Corsair Dominator 12gb @ 1600mhz 8-9-9-9-24 1T
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 @ GPU 900mhz / MEM 1300mhz
MB: Asus Sabertooth x58
HDD: 1x Crucial SDD 64GB (OS/READ)
2x 80gb WD Raptor HDD in Raid 0 (Games/Apps)
4x 500GB Samsung HDD in Raid 5 via NAS (Storage/Backup)

Others I don't remember and am too lazy to move 3 feet to check :p

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
Now that Shades has helped me in finding out how to work this program a little better I have gained 300k points in 3 days. I will be catching you soon with my 90k PPD ;)

Have at it, Null. I'm lucky to be running as many devices as I am and like I have said in the main thread, they are just running SMP. I'm glad that there's some heavy hitters joining in that can carry on this amazing project. I do not know when I will have to pull the plug on the PC's I've got running at work as I've already had to pull back around 50% of them a few weeks ago.

Shogun1024

Senior Vapaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2011
Charlotte
ok not to sound like a dummy but what the heck is Folding?

Do you hang all your clothes up? Lol

Folding is the process of simulation life cycles of proteins and their mutations to further understand the process and assist in the treatment, understand and hopefully cures of disease processes like cancer, Alzheimer's and several others

EdiT: and this program folding@home is a Stanford University project of distributed computing to crunch the computations faster than even the best "known" super computers in the world. I think I've heard the typical Folding@home computational power was equal to the power of 20-30 of the best supercomputers at this juncture.

Last edited:

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
CPU: AMD Phenom XII 565 @ 4.2GHZ (quad core unlocked)
RAM: 4GB DDR3
GPU: Nvidia Gforce 440
MB: Asus m4a785-m
HDD: 1x OCZ Vertex 2
1x Samsung F3 1TB

I backed the client off a LOT.. the stock configuration of 100% utilization made my computer absolutely unusable even for web browsing :-(

I would try to configure the SMP process to run on three cores, leaving one core available for other tasks.

NuLLMyndZ

Vapetastic!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
That would be nice.. Especially since when I am folding my computer looks something like this.:blink:
Folding_zps1c58915b.png

I would try to configure the SMP process to run on three cores, leaving one core available for other tasks.

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
That would be nice.. Especially since when I am folding my computer looks something like this.:blink:
Folding_zps1c58915b.png

You can set your SMP to run 10 threads instead of 12 if you really need the two open threads. Configure > Slots > Edit SMP > Top option (I'm at work, don't remember what it says) but set that to 10 and it'll leave two threads open.

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
If you haven't changed any settings then by default v7 GUI client configures SMP to run on max threads of your cpu (12) which is fine since you're using nvidia gpu's. One thing I forgot when I asked was SMP by default downloads and works on big WU's so you don't have to worry about setting the size.

Click on Config > Slots > Edit SMP > Scroll to the bottom and add an extra slot option. Name = "client-type" (no quotes), Value = "advanced" (no quotes) and that will allow you to work on beta WU's and potentially earn more points. The same configuration can be used for the GPU slot.

NuLLMyndZ

Vapetastic!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
I have some playing to do when I get off work :D
If you haven't changed any settings then by default v7 GUI client configures SMP to run on max threads of your cpu (12) which is fine since you're using nvidia gpu's. One thing I forgot when I asked was SMP by default downloads and works on big WU's so you don't have to worry about setting the size.

Click on Config > Slots > Edit SMP > Scroll to the bottom and add an extra slot option. Name = "client-type" (no quotes), Value = "advanced" (no quotes) and that will allow you to work on beta WU's and potentially earn more points. The same configuration can be used for the GPU slot.

BikerBob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
VA
************************************ System ************************************
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
CPU ID: AuthenticAMD Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3
CPUs: 4
Memory: 3.86GiB
Free Memory: 821.50MiB
Threads: POSIX_THREADS
On Battery: false
UTC offset: -5
PID: 12258
CWD: /home/sparky
OS Arch: AMD64
GPUs: 1
GPU 0: UNSUPPORTED: RV710 [Radeon HD 4550]
CUDA: Not detected
********************************************************************************
2x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA-3G 7200/32MB -- part as RAID 1, part as RAID 0
4x Kingston 1024MB PC4200 533Mhz DDR2 Memory
CoolerMaster CM690 case (love the USB connectors on top--especially when using eGo passthrus)

Upgrading the GPU has not been a priority for me. Originally built with a 'this will do for now' video card, and it's done what I needed for the past 3 years.
Not sure what budget I have...any good bang-for-the-buck recommendations?

ok not to sound like a dummy but what the heck is Folding?

nevermind i looked it up very interesting...

Fold with F@H, spindle and mutilate with the Spindle and Mutilate Processor (SMP)? Oh never mind.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I'm currently running an ASUS laptop with an Intel Core Duo CPU (P7450) @ 2.13GHz with an NVidia GeForce 9600M GPU on board, and it's the only box I have at the moment. I'd like to get a decent desktop that I can dedicate to folding most of the time and maybe set it up as a home media server later on. I'm looking to spend a few hundred on the new basic setup (w/o monitor or other peripherals), but I'll spend more if it's warranted, and I'm hoping one or more of you can help me spec something out.

Has anyone seen a basic setup with an i5 or i7 processor and decent GPU on NewEgg or some other online retailer that work well for F@H?

GrimmTech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
West Virginia
Too much time and effort to list everything, I started folding yesterday on my main machine. 2 processes-
1 WU - uses i5 2500k 4 cores @ 3.3 self overclocking
1 WU- uses Radeon 6800 series

Added second rig this morning - unsupported graphics :(
1 WU- uses i7 8 core @ 3.3

late morning I fired up the wife's two machines :D
first -
1 WU- i3 4 core @ 3.3
1 WU- GTX 640

other
1 WU- Phenom II X6 6 core @ 3.2 I think
1 WU- another Radeon 6800 series

Im curious how many PPD I will get with this. Obviously I'm not going to run all 4 at a time and add $100 a month to the electric bill.. but I may run them for a little while and probably on/off afterwards.. My main will fold unless I am gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread