Taifun GT IV wicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Well folks I finally got hold of a Taifun GT IV (Ulton clone) and I'm having a few issues trying to get it to wick effectively.

Coil ID 3mm using SS316L round wire (0.40mm) 6 spaced wraps at 0.50 ohms and Rayon.

Also using TC.

I just seem to not get a consistent flow of liquid to the coil, I have to unscrew the top to get a few decent vapes and then I end up with it sounding like rattlesnaking/dripping liquid on the coil occasionally.

Any ideas and hints would be greatly appriciated, and I welcome photos.

benley73

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2016
Well folks I finally got hold of a Taifun GT IV (Ulton clone) and I'm having a few issues trying to get it to wick effectively.

Coil ID 3mm using SS316L round wire (0.40mm) 6 spaced wraps at 0.50 ohms and Rayon.

Also using TC.

I just seem to not get a consistent flow of liquid to the coil, I have to unscrew the top to get a few decent vapes and then I end up with it sounding like rattlesnaking/dripping liquid on the coil occasionally.

Any ideas and hints would be greatly appriciated, and I welcome photos.
Have a look on YouTube, where they wick GT V4,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Already done that @benley73, just having issues with trying to use Rayon.

Best way I can explain it is that it's like I'm using a wah wah pedal when I vape, so liquid isn't flowing steadily to the coil.

So airlocking is a possible issue.

I did take note that in all the vids everyone used cotton, and I do have some at one side. Muji and Koh Gen Do pads, I think that I may try the Muji first though.

Just wish folks were more clear on how to pack the wells, as there's 2 schools of thought there.

we87

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
DFW, TX
I have the ulton clone too, and it's pretty forgiving when it comes to wicking either with too much or even too little. I would look into changing your orings. Read the real manual for the authentic for sizes. I order mine from oringsandmore but I'm sure there are other sites too.

As for wicking, I basically cut enough length to reach the bottom of the well and the tictac looking opening that you can see from the outside, I make sure that I can see cotton all the way around it. As long as the cotton touches the bottom of the well you should be fine. I prefer rayon but I use both cotton and rayon with no issues. When I cut I usually line it up with the base of the atty, so the juice control ring is my guide more or less. To be clear the outside circumference of the metal juice control ring.

Good luck! Hope you get it fixed soon because it's a great atomizer!

we87

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
DFW, TX
Just wanted to show you some pictures, that's a 3.5mm coil with cotton.
20200511_225528.jpg
20200511_225700.jpg
20200511_225618.jpg

Reactions: Mordacai

benley73

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2016
Dammit, may have spoke too soon.

But it seems that I may be getting closer to sussing it.

Looks like you need to trim Rayon about where the o ring is on the juice/liquid control is, and also not straight but rounded in an arc following that part of the atomiser.
I've seen a build where they use mesh inside the coil in GTv4 and then just put small cuts of cotton on either side to keep the flow to coil they said it's easier to maintain less gunk build up and so own but I guess that's trial and error too. If you pack with cotton use thinner juice if lighter wicking use thicker juice, but then the heat and weather can make most juice runnier and cause leaks on some builds, trial and error with wicking on most atomisers, you can look up German reviewers and how they wick them they do so for more DTL builds,

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Finally on to something folks, finally got the Goldilocks zone worked out with the GT IV and Rayon.

I'll have to take some photos of my next rewicking so that folks can copy the method and enjoy the GT IV with Rayon.

But the 101 of what I've learnt so far. Leave the Rayon uncompressed or fluffed in the shape of a bow tie from the top and the side, then cut and shape the Rayon to just inside the liquid control ring.

This then allows you to Enjoy the GT IV with Rayon then, I now just need to work out how to stop setttin my smoke alarm off with it now. As even with a 0.5 simple SS316L round wire coil in TC at 28 Joules/Watts and 250°C I seem to be able to set the dammed thing off almost every time I vape.

benley73

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2016
Finally on to something folks, finally got the Goldilocks zone worked out with the GT IV and Rayon.

I'll have to take some photos of my next rewicking so that folks can copy the method and enjoy the GT IV with Rayon.

But the 101 of what I've learnt so far. Leave the Rayon uncompressed or fluffed in the shape of a bow tie from the top and the side, then cut and shape the Rayon to just inside the liquid control ring.

This then allows you to Enjoy the GT IV with Rayon then, I now just need to work out how to stop setttin my smoke alarm off with it now. As even with a 0.5 simple SS316L round wire coil in TC at 28 Joules/Watts and 250°C I seem to be able to set the dammed thing off almost every time I vape.
I will have an authenticate GT V4s on route to me next week from Spain,
From what I have read the IV MTL post fits in the 4s
So will have a try once it's here.
Wasn't a big fan of the IV. But love the GTv3 with the peak airflow reducer and steam tuners Ultem tank.

benley73

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2016
I'm not too sure on that @benley73, but it would make engineering sense.
It fits the posative MTL post
It's also wicked fine first time, MTL post has just 1 central small hole but your still left with the 3 on the negative post.
Fluffed out tail then cut off ends, then placed in wells
Not tried Ultem chamber reducer yet but fits both
GT 4s and GT v4 RTAs,
The MTL posts fits both RTAs as well. Seems they just reduced the out size of tank a little to get back to the standard 23mm Taifun RTA size.
There also an open draw post too available online which is just a long slot instead of multiple holes .
4bd70f28156e3c0aa0e8fb3d72d70be8.jpg
21fdc48192c5d73d990324505d117b9e.jpg
0564f24169d5d3fa23f3a032d139aa54.jpg

benley73

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2016
@benley73, how's the vape so far?

And are you using the airflow for the positive post side only?
Vape is great, I have been trying various airflow settings, since I vape more restricted style usually.
I Will try moving coil on
My next rewick over just the single posative side MTL hole,
Currently have the coil more middle at moment
Just to get it up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread