Taking It A Step Further

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcalvanese

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
In addition to quitting smoking, I thought I would take it a step further and get an activity/sleep/food tracker to sync up with my android phone.

I am about 50 lbs. over weight and am a computer programmer, so my job is basically sitting on my .... all day followed by getting home and sitting on my .... all night...:)

I picked up a jawbone UP24 ( Buy UP24™ by Jawbone® | Make fitness a habit. ) at a local store. I chose this one because it has no display, is not bulky on my wrist, and is among the top activity trackers.

It tracks my steps taken, my sleep, and I can enter my daily food intake by either scanning the bar code, or doing a search for food items. It also scores what I eat based on the amount of sugar/sodium/fat/calories/etc... It also has alarms you can set to make it vibrate to tell me to get up off my .... and do something, and goals I can set.

I really didn't have high expectations, but since I got this thing I have been so much more conscious about my activity level, sleeping, and eating habits. I am surprised at how many things I should NOT be eating, and how much sodium and sugar is in foods.

I also found an app that you can use at the food store to scan items, and it tells you the items score, and the good and bad things that are in them.

So far, it seems to be causing me to make better food choices and get up on my .... a lot more.

Just wanted to share the point that we don't have to just stop at quitting smoking...:)

deach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2011
IL
All good points. I know after my open heart surgery (I went for what I thought was a muscle problem and surprise surprise) I started keeping track of sodium #1 and then some of the rest of the food values. The one thing they stressed in rehab was try to get about 30 minutes of "exercise" every day. They had us walk on tread mills. Since that's over I have taken several walks around in various areas but, with winter here right now and pretty low temps, I have to watch even going outside for very long as it hurts me to breathe that cold air.

Thanks for your post, it reminded me I need to try to find something to do until spring. I'm pretty active at my job (again sometimes seasonal) but they said that something like 30 minutes of walking would simply be better than anything else. Good luck to you.

issy

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2014
Between Timid and Timbuktu
That's awesome, bcalvanese. Self-awareness is a very, very powerful tool. Best of luck to you on your journey towards abundant health! I'm fortunate that my job is outdoors and physical...that is one reason why I took it, even though it's not a "career." Cleaning and maintenance is also fairly low-stress, which I find is one of the most important foundation stones for overall well-being. Namaste!

Reactions: Asbestos4004

bcalvanese

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
All good points. I know after my open heart surgery (I went for what I thought was a muscle problem and surprise surprise) I started keeping track of sodium #1 and then some of the rest of the food values. The one thing they stressed in rehab was try to get about 30 minutes of "exercise" every day. They had us walk on tread mills. Since that's over I have taken several walks around in various areas but, with winter here right now and pretty low temps, I have to watch even going outside for very long as it hurts me to breathe that cold air.

Thanks for your post, it reminded me I need to try to find something to do until spring. I'm pretty active at my job (again sometimes seasonal) but they said that something like 30 minutes of walking would simply be better than anything else. Good luck to you.

You should get on e of these. It will constantly be reminding you to get up and walk.

bcalvanese

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
That's awesome, bcalvanese. Self-awareness is a very, very powerful tool. Best of luck to you on your journey towards abundant health! I'm fortunate that my job is outdoors and physical...that is one reason why I took it, even though it's not a "career." Cleaning and maintenance is also fairly low-stress, which I find is one of the most important foundation stones for overall well-being. Namaste!

Thank you.

Yes this thing is like a constant reminder...:)

bcalvanese

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
Good for you! Keep us up to date with your progress. I spend a lot of time driving but am also walking a lot and active in my job as a locksmith! Those locks don't put themselves on ya know!!

Thanks.

I just dusted off an old treadmill that has been sitting for years, put it in my bedroom, lubed the belt, and am starting to use it.

yesterday, I took 9,776 steps...:)

bcalvanese

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
UPDATE...

Could not get the treadmill working right (it's just old), so I went and picked up an elliptical. It's much quieter than a treadmill and gives a way better cardio workout.

Have been getting in my steps, eating way better, and over the past couple weeks have lost 3 or 4 lbs.

I am giving myself about a year to lose the 50 lbs.

bcalvanese

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
Congrats on the loss dude. Speaking from experience - running is the best thing you can do for your body. I would trade that elliptical in for a good treadmill if money isn't an issue. Also, do you cycle?

Thanks man,

I am not at the point of running yet. Being 50 lbs. over weight, I would almost surely sustain impact injuries. Also, I'm 57 years old, extremely out of shape, and have the beginning stages of COPD (from smoking for over 40 years). I did consider just getting a better treadmill, but I also take brisk walks around my apartment complex in addition to the elliptical.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida

bcalvanese

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
Update...

Been getting at least 10,000 steps a day (most days), also bought a bicycle and have been riding about 6 miles on that in addition to the steps (most days), and have lost 25 pounds so far.

30 more pounds to go, so about another 30 weeks.

Had a checkup at the doctor today and he said my lungs sound great, heart sounds good, and blood pressure is good. He said to keep doing what I'm doing...:)

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Update...

Been getting at least 10,000 steps a day (most days), also bought a bicycle and have been riding about 6 miles on that in addition to the steps (most days), and have lost 25 pounds so far.

30 more pounds to go, so about another 30 weeks.

Had a checkup at the doctor today and he said my lungs sound great, heart sounds good, and blood pressure is good. He said to keep doing what I'm doing...:)

Yay!!! Nice going! :D You can do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread