Status
Not open for further replies.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
My sister had an antique butter knife... the short handled ones with the rounded tip? Sterling silver. It was actually used as part of her physical therapy after extensive hand surgery and was part of her medical bag. She flew here to Maryland no problem with it in her kit. Had a lovely visit, enjoyed our nieces wedding, packed up to go home. With her antique butter knife with no serration and no points. Rounded. Not pointy. NOT SHARP. The jerk at BWI made her mail it. Swore NO KNIVES are ever allowed on a plane. She showed him the TSA guidelines she printed off to show this was allowable and that she went through TSA with it from Utah. She even demonstrated its use to help prevent the scar tissue from hardening. Did I mention she is a registered nurse? Made no difference. Mail it. After much frustration and nonsense she boarded her flight. In first class. To be given a stainless steel knife with her meal. That was fairly pointy. and had an edge. Really?????

I remember the days when you couldn't have lighters on a flight but as soon as i sat down in my first class seat they would let me have as many mini Molotov cocktails as I wanted. Isn't alcohol just as flammable as lighter fluid.

I fly out of CVG often, they Have a Max and Ermas inside security where I can get a knife with my meal that I could just carry on if I wanted.

hippiebrian

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Long Beach, Ca.
Yup, the TSA sucks. That said, they aren't going away any time soon, and all the complaining in the world isn't going to stop it.

I put the vape stuff in the checked baggage and carry either analogs (which I am once again in the process of purging from my life) or just pick up a couple disposables to last me to my destination. It really is that easy.

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
all the complaining in the world isn't going to stop it.

Disagree, if everyone stood up to these Naziesk infringements of our rights it wouldn't be constantly happening, and progressing to the nightmare world we are all bequeathing to future generations. .Gov has grown to large, and to invasive, I cannot imagine the world my Great Grand Children will grow up in, the thought literally sickens, and saddens me!

twolostminds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2009
While flying Newark to Phoenix back in January I was pulled aside by the TSA when they saw my Itaste VV3 and Protank 3 on the xray. Got a little worried that there was going to be a problem but all the guy wanted to know was how I liked using a variable voltage/wattage device and if it was really better than his old kanger battery. I let him try his CE5 on it and wrote down a couple websites where he could pic one up at a good price. It was kind of amusing vaping with a TSA agent at the security check.

samwest

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Gainesville Texas
I've flown many times with juice carto tanks and various pvs with no probs. My brother gave me a big mfg seald container of .... rub for cooking. They tested it and said it was suspicious and could be explosive I decided not to ..... and told the wife to calm down trying to avoid getting stripped searched. as a parting shot I said "so who's BBQ'in with my .... rub this weekend"?

hippiebrian

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Long Beach, Ca.
Disagree, if everyone stood up to these Naziesk infringements of our rights it wouldn't be constantly happening, and progressing to the nightmare world we are all bequeathing to future generations. .Gov has grown to large, and to invasive, I cannot imagine the world my Great Grand Children will grow up in, the thought literally sickens, and saddens me!

Easier said than done. What are you going to do to stand up to the TSA other than not fly?

Vote often, keep complaining and writing congress and the senate, don't get me wrong, and maybe we can reverse it. But that does no one any good right now who is going to bring a device flying. For now, we have to deal with it if we want to fly. Unfortunately.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I don't fly these days and, reading this thread, wonder what is meant by "confiscating." Does it mean they never return whatever they took? If so, that is something that needs to be addressed with Representatives. If the items had to be sent back to you, or to some impounding location at your destination, it would mean more work for them and maybe they wouldn't be so quick to take things. Some of these PVs are very expensive exceeding what a Provari, for instance, costs so if not returning or impounding they should at least have to compensate you for its value.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
I don't fly these days and, reading this thread, wonder what is meant by "confiscating." Does it mean they never return whatever they took? If so, that is something that needs to be addressed with Representatives. If the items had to be sent back to you, or to some impounding location at your destination, it would mean more work for them and maybe they wouldn't be so quick to take things. Some of these PVs are very expensive exceeding what a Provari, for instance, costs so if not returning or impounding they should at least have to compensate you for its value.

Typically they give you the option of mailing it to yourself. I have had to do that twice now when I forgot my knife was in my laptop bag.

Never had an issue with any of my ecig stuff.

Botomline

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
NOVA

Haven't done it lately, but your choices are, try to mail it to yourself real quick and not miss the flight (hope you have the supplies with you to do that), drop it in the bin and wave goodbye to it, or try to get it in your checked bags (assuming you have some and they aren't already loaded and you can even get to them). I used to just assume everything would be suspect and pack it in checked bags, or mail it ahead of me.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I don't know why there hasn't been stuff coming up about batteries and coils...a little research would show you what you could with them. I can understand the liquid...a little. A quick test shows that it's inert, but I really don't understand why someone hasn't had issues with their mods and batteries.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
Haven't done it lately, but your choices are, try to mail it to yourself real quick and not miss the flight (hope you have the supplies with you to do that), drop it in the bin and wave goodbye to it, or try to get it in your checked bags (assuming you have some and they aren't already loaded and you can even get to them). I used to just assume everything would be suspect and pack it in checked bags, or mail it ahead of me.
You don't need any supplies to mail it to yourself. There are kiosk type stands that have all the necessary supplies. You address the padded envelope or box, swipe your credit card and drop it in the slot. Fairly simple just a bit of a pain to take the time to do it.

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
What are you going to do to stand up to the TSA other than not fly?

Exactly, I won't fly period, I'll take the extra time and drive. The TSA, and for that matter just about every Gov organization is so full of thieves, thugs, and overpaid flunkies, it is all but a lost cause. Just consider how many have lost everything to protect the rights of every citizen of our country, very sad that so many are so complacent these days, and simply allow it to happen without giving it a thought.

Botomline

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
NOVA
You don't need any supplies to mail it to yourself. There are kiosk type stands that have all the necessary supplies. You address the padded envelope or box, swipe your credit card and drop it in the slot. Fairly simple just a bit of a pain to take the time to do it.

Nice, like I said, haven't done it in awhile. Good to know they fixed this. I had to pitch a very sentimental lighter into that bin once, along with a pair on nail clippers (which I rebought at a shop by the gate). After that I just tried to plan ahead and not take anything I thought would get their attention.

I have no luck. Tsa in Ft lauderdale fl in 2004 took a belt buckle that was shaped like unuseable brass knuckles attached to a belt in my carry on out. Next called over the lovely ft lauderdale police who actually issued me an arrest ticket. They wanted to actually detain me. I said being 5'2 n 100 lbs female, what even if they were usable do u think I was going to pullout my belt mid flight n start beating on people. It is art. N it was. I bought it at a gallery in NYC where I was flying back to. The only reason they let me on the flight is I told them I need to be in a meeting in NYC in four hours. This delay could cost me my well paying very needed job. They said if I have a business card with my office n name on it I could leave. I had a card gave it to the officer. I left with an arrest summons and was able to have it dismissed once I was back in NYC. Dismissed only bc I had a friend in ft lauderdales da office. But get this I had to pay a sum of $250 to the tsa. So I will try to drive when ever I can. Now I will have soon worry which state I am in while vaping and driving. Bc I have the dumbest luck.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
Exactly, I won't fly period, I'll take the extra time and drive. The TSA, and for that matter just about every Gov organization is so full of thieves, thugs, and overpaid flunkies, it is all but a lost cause. Just consider how many have lost everything to protect the rights of every citizen of our country, very sad that so many are so complacent these days, and simply allow it to happen without giving it a thought.

I just can't get my car to cross any of those oceans.

I always ALWAYS disassemble my vape enough to get the tanks into my quart bag of liquids. I've decided to travel with Spinners instead of battery mods, but that's because my charger for the 18650's is not international, but EVERYBODY uses usb.

They ask about the batteries (I put them into a MaxPedition pouch that normally also carries my liquids, and pliers, and kleenex, and spare batteries) and I tell them what they are and they're fine.

I have seen them confiscated if vaped in line, and I can see having them confiscated if they're not in with the liquids. The "liquid" rules are clear, just follow them.

OTOH, I routed through Frankfurt instead of Dubai or Singapore, because of laws.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I am flying next month. The TSA is a concern. As of now, I am looking to break down my system to different parts of my carry-on. The filled PT2 will likely go in my toiletries bag. Nothing will be in my pockets though. Just in case, my checked bag will have another complete system, appropriately packaged, for when I get on the ground at the other end. I've also coordinated for a combat-loaded paratrooper to jump from a C-130 to hand me a system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread