Tank leak at the Positive Pin, Any Quick fix ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
I've noticed my Melo 2 tank leaking at the bottom positive pin.
Was wondering if any one has ideas how to fix without having a new rubber seal.
My thoughts are, very small amount of silicon precisely placed around rubber seal & pin.
Elmer's glue the same method as above.
To the Final Approach of using JB Weld,,,,LOL
Any ideas or successful remedies ?????????

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
I took it apart, (positive pin & rubber seal out.) Cleaned with alcohol and dried thoroughly .
With a piece of 24 ga wire and a drop of elmers glue on a piece of paper, coated the outer rubber seal very precisely . Then fitted it back in the bottom of the tank base.
Slid the pin in half way and pinned in small coating of glue round the pin then pushed it in place.
Waited 5 hours. Then scratched the inner side of the pin ( as it had a thin coating of glue on it.)
Did the same scratching at the bottom / positive connection side of the pin.
The last 5 hours have shown no juice what so ever at the bottom positive pin. And of course, the spring loaded , positive 510 connector was completely dry.
Time will tell. But 5 hours in , working fine.
I'm truly thinking that juice dripping into the spring loaded / or set positive post / 510 threaded valley is what causes mods to take a beating after a couple of ml of juice get down and into the mod.
Using a washer made from a small piece of paper shop towel and a hole puncher will show, and stop any leak coming down the outside of the tank. But getting into the mod at the positive tank pin can't be good at all.

Last edited:

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Teflon Plumber's Tape?

A Teeny Tiny O-Ring?

Credit Card and a New Tank?
The Teflon tape will be my next shot as I don't know how good silicon will bond to the SS, especially if its just sid down into wet silicon. I'm thinking it would have to be a hair smaller to get the seal right.
the Teflon tape might work.
If the glue fails, Teflon tape will be used on the next try.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Teflon Plumber's Tape?

A Teeny Tiny O-Ring?

Credit Card and a New Tank?
I figured to get back on how the glue worked.
The glue didn't hold up. It did slow the leak down more than 50%, but probably would get worst as time goes on.
So I took it apart, cleaned it with alcohol, dried, and used 1/8" wide strip of Teflon tape, 2 wraps , as precise as I could around the rubber seal. Then fitted the seal into the tank bottom. Wrapped the positive pin with the 1/8" wide Teflon tape, 2 wraps, and slid the pin back in.
It's been 4 hours with out a leak. But I will know with more time how this hold up......
And of course I can always buy another one that will not leak,,,,,,,, for 2 months !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: zoiDman

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Yes, Elmers glue is good for paper and wood, but not so much tho, when it get's wet.
    The teflon tape should work. I commend you on dealing with the tiny strips, not the easiest stuff to work with.
    If that doesn't work, try the silicone.
    You might be surprised how much high temp silicone is used in that machine in your avatar. Sticks to metal fine.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 24, 2013
    Bay Shore LI NY
    For the record, after closely examining my tanks I found 75% of them leak from the positive pin.
    The Teflon tape around the positive pin & insulator has worked fine. I check it 2 times a day and not a trace of juice in the last 4 + days...
    Using the paper washer is good to catch leaks from the air intakes. But the main problem is the leak around the insulator and pin, which is a direct leak into the mod.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread