Leaky Cart Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay.. so I got some Dura carts I am using on a 901 and there was definitely leakage. I think I have fixed it though.

Someone (can't remember who... please take credit for yourself if you see this... or PM me and I will edit this to give you credit) had the heat up a needle and dent 4 points on the part of the cart that goes inside the atomizer... this solves the looseness... but not the leakiness...

SO to solve the leakiness...

(disclaimer... this works for me since I just restuff the same 2 carts and don't keep using new ones.. but it takes a while and is a pain so would not work as well for people who change them al the time)

2 options...

One- do the needle technique to make it tight... then take the cartridge condom (clear plastic thing) and use a scissor or exacto knife to cut a fairly thick "ring" off the bottom of it. Put that ring around the cart and as you push it into the atomizer it sits where the cart meets the atomizer and helps "seal it" so no leakage unless you slide it or remove it!!!

(WARNING... the rubber ring COULD melt and get stuck on the atomizer.. then you need to boil it to get it off! Also... may be annoying because if you slide it around... the leaked fluid comes out)

Two- do the needle technique for tightness.. then get some "gorilla glue" or "rubber cement" and a toothpik. Use the toothpik to get the tiniest bit of glue and slowly move it around the edge of the cart where it seals to the atomizer. Make sure to wipe away any excess so it is a thin line of glue or it can make the leaky problem WORSE!!! Wait at LEAST 8 hours for it to dry or it might stick into the atomizer when you insert it and never come out! Once it is FULLY dry... insert and the glue prevents leakage. Do not use too much or the cart will not go in all the way and then the wool wil be too far from the atomizer! (that is why you use a toothpik or a needle or safety pin).

Could use elmers glue since it is non-toxic... but seems a thick jelly based glue will remain a little more pliable and creates a better seal.

PLEASE REMEMBER MOST GLUE IS FLAMMABLE!!!! Do not use it until it is COMPLETELY dry!!!!!

I tried pushing cart into atomizer while the glue was "slightly" flexible so I could "set" a seal on it... it worked GREAT to stop leakage, but leaves a ring of glue around the cart so it does not look so pretty. Will try with less glue next time.

Also.. leave the cart condom ON while you do it so you don't risk getting any glue on the wool and poisoning yourself.. just slide the rubber condom AWAY from the glue so it does not get STUCK on!

Will try to do video on this when I get home from class tonight... If not... maybe over the weekend.

Last edited:

jimgman

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2008
delaware
i just got the new em-901, which is smoking great so far, but unfortunately it leaks pretty bad too. was really hoping they would resolve this with the newer model:(. they leak the most when placed on a flat surface, im guessing from surface tension where the cart meets the atomizer,allowing the liquid to practically "pour" out, which i was thinking could be easily resolved with a cart/atomizer design that tapers in slightly where they meet so the "meeting" point dosnt touch anything when placed flat. then i thought...even easier, what if there was just a simple "lip" on the cart preventing the edge of the cart from touching anything, so i cut a thin strip of electical tape(blends in prfectly with the black cart) and wrapped it around the cart like a centimeter or 2 above the edge(if it touches the edge, it will also pull the liquid out). though i doubt this will completely solve leaking carts, i'm hoping it will lessen it dramatically(or at least prevent puddles under it after letting it sit flat on a surface for a bit). just did it, so ill report back.

heathmcse

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
Roanoke VA
after reading your post and others i thought about doing the needle trick
but didnt feel like doing that to every cart that doenst fit tightly in my atomizer, and i have a second atomizer that the carts fit in very tight and they dont leak, so i decided to try something different

i took a small amount of gorilla super glue and put on the inside of an atomizer along the edge and used a paper clip spread the excess out. i then let it dry. the carts that were fitting loosley now fit good and i think that the glue made a seal because i havent had a cart leak on the atomizer since i did that. it probably voids my warranty, but i dont get liquid on everything anymore.

after reading your post and others i thought about doing the needle trick
but didnt feel like doing that to every cart that doenst fit tightly in my atomizer, and i have a second atomizer that the carts fit in very tight and they dont leak, so i decided to try something different

i took a small amount of gorilla super glue and put on the inside of an atomizer along the edge and used a paper clip spread the excess out. i then let it dry. the carts that were fitting loosley now fit good and i think that the glue made a seal because i havent had a cart leak on the atomizer since i did that. it probably voids my warranty, but i dont get liquid on everything anymore.

That is great! I was worried that the glue would heat up and get in my lungs so I didn't wana put it in the atomizer... but it is pretty close to the same spot anyway. Maybe I will try it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread