Status
Not open for further replies.

DebbieNY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
New York City
I just upgraded both of my Evic minis to the new 3.0 firmware and am coming across the mention of 'TCR' for the first time. I have NOT tried using temperature control at all yet (been getting used to it in Power mode only), but I am ready with Ni and SS316 wire and/or coils. So...

What the heck is it? How do I use it? It looks like I need to set a value for M1, M2, etc. on the Evic mini, but how do I figure out/find the value for whatever wire I am using? Do I even *have* to set a value???

I do not speak 'electrician', so I appreciate someone 'dumbing down' their explanation for me. :)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I just upgraded both of my Evic minis to the new 3.0 firmware and am coming across the mention of 'TCR' for the first time. I have NOT tried using temperature control at all yet (been getting used to it in Power mode only), but I am ready with Ni and SS316 wire and/or coils. So...

What the heck is it? How do I use it? It looks like I need to set a value for M1, M2, etc. on the Evic mini, but how do I figure out/find the value for whatever wire I am using? Do I even *have* to set a value???

I do not speak 'electrician', so I appreciate someone 'dumbing down' their explanation for me. :)

With ni200 and ss316 you don't need to mess with tcr (the M1-M3 programmable slots) at all. Just use the ni200 and ss316 presets (for respective coil material of course).

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

1: "Do I even *have* to set a value???"
No.

2: "What the heck is it?"
It's a space to let you put in the value for the wire you are using.

3: How to use it:
5click to turn mod off
hole fire button and right button for 10 seconds.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond, KenD! What the heck are those settings there for then? :confused:

I love this little beast! Despite my lack of experience with TC, I love that it can handle so many different wires and I can grow into it. Baby steps... :thumb:

the earlier versions would not have included as many different wire types so users would have been able to put in there own tcr values themselves.

the first tc mods were designed for nickel only; then alot of people were using titanium, so then the mod makers started adding those kinds of optionsk

Reactions: KenD

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
With the VTC mini off press and hold the right button and fire button. In a few seconds a list of the M values will come up. Use left button to scroll and right button to select then set using left and right buttons per a TCR value for say Tungsten or whatever wire you are using. Values can be found on this board and else where.

DebbieNY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
New York City
2: "What the heck is it?"
It's a space to let you put in the value for the wire you are using.

You mean that this is where you would enter the number of different types of nickle, titanium, & stainless steel (i.e., the number after the metal types like Ni80, Ni200, SS316, SS304) or am I way off?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
You mean that this is where you would enter the number of different types of nickle, titanium, & stainless steel (i.e., the number after the metal types like Ni80, Ni200, SS316, SS304) or am I way off?

each of those would have different tcr values; however the value to enter is something you would have to lookup somewhere else.
But once the manufacturer puts in the numbers himself, and includes the name in the menu, then you don't have to know the number anymore; it's for when you are using some other metal not listed in the menu;

Reactions: DebbieNY

DebbieNY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
New York City
each of those would have different tcr values; however the value to enter is something you would have to lookup somewhere else.
But once the manufacturer puts in the numbers himself, and includes the name in the menu, then you don't have to know the number anymore; it's for when you are using some other metal not listed in the menu;

Ah, so it's an "old school" way of telling the mod exactly what wire you're using. I get it now... I think. Seems like I got a damned fine TC mod on my first try then!:thumb:

Thanks for helping a newbie out, everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: edyle

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
IF,,, You ever choose to build with Ti, the Evic mini performs better in Manual TCR Mode set at 00366-00370 than it does in its Ti Pre-set Mode.
But that's not a necessity or requirement by any means as the Pre-set Ti Mode is fine. It's just if ya really want to "dial-in" to maximum Performance capability of the Mod/Atty/Build Combo, you can do so.
Nothing to sweat to start. That will be there to fiddle with and learn once you are ready and choose to.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Thank you for taking the time to respond, KenD! What the heck are those settings there for then? :confused:

I love this little beast! Despite my lack of experience with TC, I love that it can handle so many different wires and I can grow into it. Baby steps... :thumb:
By adjusting those tcr settings you can use any tc capable wire that isn't preprogrammed. For example types of stainless steel other than 316 (such as 304, 317, 430), Tungsten, platinum. Each material has a specific tcr (temperature coefficient of resistance) value and by entering that value in one of the memory slots you'll have accurate temp control with wire of that material.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread