Teens and Nic Free E-Cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanooks

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Salt Lake
So I have been a pack a day smoker for 20 years. Got into e-cigs and quit. Talk to friends, co-workers, and family about them and encourage them into trying it. Love the community, CASAA, and the doctors that recommend them. We are extending lives in this movement. I knew the FDA would get involved, and there would be debates and fear mongering amongst the community, and was prepared for it. What I didn't realize and totally blindsided wat to see was my teenage daughter watching my every step and eventually asking to vape a zero nic setup.

I have the best daughter in the world. She explained how proud she was kicking the pack a day habit and helping others with their cigarette addiction. She loves sitting in the room with me as I vape. "I love the smell of your juice" she comments frequently. Recently we sat down and she explained she wanted to start vaping a nic free setup. Of course my first response was no, but she started to explain that all the comments that I make to people I see are you are inhaling water vapor, and are essentially harmless minus the addictive and toxic in high quantity additive of nicotine. Well honestly I was stumped.

What do you say to that? She is 17 years old, and will be totally free to choose in a year. She doesn't smoke but really really wants to vape, mostly for the taste. Really interested in hearing others comments as to better enforce my reasoning for not wanting her to vape. Love her to death though for asking me and discussing this with me rather than just going out to do it.

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
I would first look into the state/local regulations on the matter. Many states already have a no minors law on the books. If your's has such statutes bring that into the discussion.

It sounds like she is showing an adult attitude by discussing it with you before just sneaking off and buying a rig.

Capitalize on that. Have her look into the studies published that deal with the non nicotine component's of vapor. While it does look to be far less dangerous than smoking there is still a lot unknown. (If you didn't have concerns about it, you wouldn't be asking.)

With some continuing open honest discussion you should be able to get her to understand you wanting her to hold off til her birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread