Tell me about bicycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
Yeah, the gel in the shorts get hot right? Especially with another pair of shorts over it? I'd suggest trying a really good chamois one, and a firm seat. The perineal(sp?) nerve (runs between the scrotum and anus) gets compressed more with the gel seats and shorts. That's why there's a groove on the firm seats. Allows your .... bones to touch the seat, and very little of everything else. It does take some getting used to though, just like an atty.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
I did NOT ride tonight, went to happy hour with friends. I haven't noticed the shorts being hot, both layers are very wick-able. I try to preserve my taint, I am very attached to it.... At this point, my old head is what needs to dispel heat the most. I am wearing cotton hats to soak up the sweat. When the hat is soaked enough for sweat to start rolling down, that's a good time to stop.

Thanks for your tips on helmets. Next up, I am looking at a Giro Atmos or Xar for about $100 below retail. I need some vents on my head in this hot weather!

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Also, and this is going to sound dumb, wearing the right kind of jersey and/or shirt under your jersey makes a big difference.

The worst experience riding I had resulted in a mild case of hypothermia……at 96 degrees and near 100% humidity. A friend and I went riding out to and around Stone Mountain east of Atlanta. It was a fun ride, but we had like 3 or 4 flats between us over the course of what we call "the fail ride." Those trails just aren't maintained. We decided not to risk riding back on those trails with no supplies to fix flats left (we went through several cans of tire sealant, a tube, a patch, and a couple CO2 canisters). We stopped and called a friend to pick us up in his truck……and I started getting really sick. I called my sister (a retired Marine and avid runner & cyclist) to talk about it, and I ended up stripping down to my shorts and lying on black tarmac and then riding laps around the parking lot to keep my body temperature up around normal. We found a hiker who had some disposable thermometers and my body temp was around 95-96 before I started that.

Since then, I've always ridden with a rash guard (made for grappling) under my jersey……it wicks at least as well as not wearing it and helps maintain heat when I stop riding. I don't ever want to feel that again.

So……it's very important to keep yourself from overheating. But, when you stop riding, it's important to keep an eye on how your body is responding……if you just stop and are covered in sweat and clothing made just to keep you cool, bad things can happen.

Also, Chrome doesn't make them anymore…but I have a Chrome merino wool jersey that I love. It's perfect for riding in anything from about 45 degrees to around 70 degrees. Wool is awesome…it regulates temperature very well, is naturally anti-bacterial, and keeps it's temperature regulation when it's wet. They make the best socks in the world except that they don't last as long as they should for like $8/pair.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
I'm sure it looks very silly, but I have been riding in nylon/polypro blend hiking shirts for wicking. Ex Officio Air Strip Lite is my fave, there's several vents you can open/close/adjust. Hardcore hikers (of which I am not one!) say "Cotton kills". I have a couple of pair of Smartwool socks, just been using regular meshy trail running shoes, but their sole is quite stiff. I thought they were a moderate hassle while walking because they were so stiff, but that's better for pedaling.

Even in this heat, I notice I am staying relatively dry while riding, but as soon as I stop I start sweating more. I have my rest breaks planned out, I slow down a bit before stopping to cool down somewhat as well.

Helmet is next, I know our head puts out a lot of heat. I'm wearing cotton hat just as a sweatband really, and to keep sun out of my eyes. I know I'm riding on borrowed time, haven't crashed yet, I'm sure I will. It's always a good idea to try to keep your head from breaking open, as well!

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
I think most sports discourage cotton because it holds sweat, and on a hot day it'll get hot also, and too much moisture will hold heat in, but if you're feeling ok, it should be fine. But just imagine how much better you'll feel in the breathable material stuff! I sometimes ride with basketball shorts over my tights, and can feel a big difference.

What I ride with almost all the time also, is a "buff." there's other brands, but honesty I'm not sure what it's called. It's a microfiber cloth tube with several different uses. Head band, baclava(sp?), beanie, pirate headband, neck scarf, and my favorite is a mask! I ride with it to keep bugs from flying in my nose and mouth, and I've noticed without it, I'll drink two 24oz water bottles on a hot day around 8 miles... With it as a mask, I'll get through just one bottle and a little bit of the other bottle around 19miles. I read somewhere that you lose a majority of your hydration through breathing.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
It was quite a bit cooler today, a high of 94 deg F. Rode for 15 miles total, went to a small town on the local trail, had a wood-fired pizza and a salad and rode back. I am up to 57 miles this week, that's great for an old guy that in recent years quivered and quaked at the thought of stairs!

Tonight I attended a biker party (Harley guys), and sat in with the band on their Moog synth. Tomorrow I'm going to the Missouri River for a blues jam and will play for several hours, so no riding then.

L2SK, I know what you mean about the bugs. I caught a big one in my ear last week near sundown. The danged little guy kept trying to fly out. I was thinking really loud (hoping he would hear me): NO, JUST TURN AROUND AND WALK OUT. When I arrived home he was still buzzing around, so a little dose of ISO alcohol made it all quiet.

I came across two guys at the pizza place today, that seemed to be pretty serious trail riders. Being new, I was scoping out their gear. They were both riding hybrids, both had camelbaks, and sprung saddles. They were both older than I (which means they are Real Old), their riding gear was otherwise just regular tennis shoes, jean shorts, ball caps and T-shirts. They had been riding for 5 hours at that time, and were 2/3 of the way through a 60 mile segment. They were spending the night at the destination, their bags contained only clothes for their return ride.

The most unusual rider today was perhaps the 300 pound guy on a MTB, with a time trial/mushroom helmet...

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
Wow, the old guys are probably just traveling on a tour. They probably spend days just biking. My aunt's ex-boyfriend used to do that, ride and do centuries and such. Hybrids are decent, not too much different between them and mtn bikes other than wheels and a few other small differences that make them just ok for road/offroad riding.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
mostapha, they had no tents, nor GI ponchos (which could be an emergency tent), and just a small bag which couldn't contain more than a change of clothes. Their destination was a place that surely had a hotel and a shower. In the far-flung future, I would like to try to camp on a bike. When it is FINALLY BELOW one hundred degrees!

I am long a GPS hobbyist, and could easily get wound up in the biking/telemetry things? There is lots of tree cover, and in my area I am often riding right beside tall bluffs. It's not worth my time to invest in real biking GPS/computer hardware when I know I lose GPS lock often. I am still figuring out the gears and brakes, so at this point I'm not too concerned about the other things. I hope I will!

My main GPS/wifi/computer thing has been wardriving since 2002. All Kismet, all the time for my software choice. I haven't *driven for a while, I have slipped in the stats. Go to wigle.net and on this page, search for argh (I wardrive like a pirate). Out of 16k people in the world doing this, I have slipped to a ranking of #173. Of 73,182 networks I have discovered, I have never touched one of them. Wigle.net also has a Browsable Map o' the World. Plug in your address, or MAC, or SSID, and see how many have found you.

Last edited:

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
That's kinda cool.

I did some geocaching with a friend a time or two. We found one a few hundred yards from his house at a neighborhood pool with some pool toys and stuff in it…just signed the log and left because it was like 4am and the pool was closed. The coolest one was just a log book in a magnetic thing slightly underneath a statue in midtown. And we spent forever looking for a log book that we'd traced to about a 20 foot radius near the AT&T building in Atlanta. That was about the extent of it.

And, FWIW, there are several wifis discovered within a few blocks of me (most of them from the private school that's like a block away where I went to high school) but not mine. That makes me feel better. We locked it down tighter after we found one of my neighbors using it to steal movies and didn't want to get cited/caught for his infringement, so I stopped broadcasting and went to a MAC include list and WPA2……seems to have worked so far.

I think around the same time, I looked at my SSH server, which was getting a few thousand bad login attempts per hour and zero successful from an IP address I didn't know was me. Running a VPN killed that, though. And then I stopped bothering when I realized the "problem" was my atrocious upload speed, and I don't think I've even booted that box (a Powermac G4 running a legal but hacked to work on the hardware copy of Leopard) in a couple years. I don't think I will unless I randomly come across a modern Linux that will run on a G4……which I seriously doubt.

Last edited:

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
Haven't checked for years, but Yellowdog used to be the big one for Mac. Locking down your AP and not broadcasting is a great way to operate it, but won't hide it from wardrivers at all. Well, the ones using Windows, perhaps.

I run ssh on non-standard ports, just don't want the automated attempts chewing on my bandwidth.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Yeah…I probably should. Just never cared. As for the wifi…it's not on that map. And I'm aware it's not nearly secure…but it seemed like it was mostly people just trying to steal Internet and maybe found a completely automated wep tool…I don't even remember if that key space ended up being big enough to need rainbow tables.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
Heh, rainbow tables, haven't messed with those for a couple of years. Yeah, wardrivers are not a risk, they're just out competing to see who can find the most, and the Linux/Kisme guys don't even connect to it. You'll never see it in the logs. The biggest risk is lazy neighbors. Only allow specified MACs, and you're usually golden against the casual piggybacker.

Steering this back towards bikes..... Still been hot and dry, over 100 for at least ten days in a row. The bikes were getting terribly dusty. I just recently got an air compressor, a blowgun on it works wonders on cleaning them up. I made sure not to blow down into the fork seals, or directly on anyplace where I know there's a bearing.

I've been wiping the chains down every other ride or so, and using the waxy type chain lube. Is this actually good stuff for dusty conditions? I put it on after riding, it's completely dried by the next time I go out.

I didn't blow air on the chains too hard, because I didn't know if they were the type that has little O-rings in the links and didn't want to force dirt inside them. For just run of the mill bike chains, is that common? When I rode dirt bikes (motorcycles) that was all I used, but I don't know about bicycle chains.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
I have no idea, honestly. I usually just wait until I ride in a downpour, then dry everything off and lube the cassette and crank, which takes care of the chain. And I feel like my bottom bracket is going to last. Other than that, it seems like it's mostly making sure cables have the right tension.

But I've never ridden somewhere especially dusty. I'm pretty sure my friends who ride mountain use a combination of lube, paper towels, and a garden hose to clean theirs……and some of their bikes seem to have lasted forever.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
Here's another downfall to riding on this trail during this drought? There's walnut trees along the trail, and some of them are dropping walnuts now, instead of in the fall. There's a lot of trees that are dying, and a side effect is that they are littering the trail with them.

I'm not riding particularly fast by any means, but with little 2 or 3 inch diameter obstacles in some places, it's better for me to try to avoid them.

I did order a helmet, Giro Xar. It's being discontinued, got it for about half retail. It looks to be well vented and have a visor, that was two of my main interests.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Nice. Looks comfy to me. I'm pretty sure I threw away my Lazer's visor……it seemed to block more of my field of vision than light……I just got sunglasses with interchangeable lenses. Mine were like $30 from a bike shop because I didn't have the budget for Oakley M-Frame Pros, which I think are undoubtedly the best on the market for that kind of thing.

I think you're okay just hitting walnuts. I've hit things like that. I think you mostly have to worry about slashing your tire (not likely) and pinch flatting (if your tire pressure is really low, that's more common).

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
For the lube, I use something similar on my chains... But I may be putting too much, lol. Have you tried pledge on your bike? I heard it helps limit how much dirt sticks (only heard it being used on road bikes because I don't really pay too much attention to mtn bikes).

I also took my visor off my helmet. I usually bike in the evenings so the visor doesn't do much unless I'm looking down. I wear some cheap Walmart fishing sunglasses because the arms or whatever are thin. I hate how my Oakley Straightjackets leave a big tan line. But I have been looking into getting some Fast Jackets (Oakley), they look like half jackets but a quick-lock release for the lens... And comes with 2 sets of lens. First, I'd like to get a couple of Darwins, then a job. Haha!

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
I am a glasses-wearer, so no regular glasses/goggles for me. I always have extended photo-gray, so they become fairly good sunglasses. One thing I liked (or looked good on paper) is that this visor is adjustable up/down 15 degrees.

I'm more worried about a walnut crashing me by running over one not square on.... Since we never leave the trail, I'm running both bikes at the top of their recommended tire pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread