Tell me about bicycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
Yeah I just use my phone because I go around my neighborhood, they did however improve on the battery consumption, but I wouldn't use it of it's my only source of communication. My cyclometer is only a guideline, mostly to see my current speed/average speed/max speed. It isn't as accurate as my phone, and I post it to my Facebook to show my friends my routes. Someday, I'm gonna start making funny shapes and spelling stuff.. LoL! If you already have a gps and stuff the cyclometer isn't really needed, especially for a mtn bike since the bumps might knock the magnet off your spokes if it somehow gets loose. Unless you're going to start tracking your cadences and stuff.

As far as backpacks, I use my snowboard specific camelbak. Sternum and waist strap, and 2 straps on the other side originally to put a snowboard, but I use it to tighten everything up so there's minimal extra movements. Also the part that touches my back is also vented like an upside down "Y". And has a little bit of reflective material on it. The backpack is slim enough to not hang out at all laterally, but big enough to hold books and binders. Originally I got it for school, then used it for awhile before I got bottles/cages. But now I stick with the bottles/cages because it puts a lot of pressure on my arms and makes my elbows ache and gets my hands numb.

I want to eventually get a trainer or a roller. Trainer so I can start working out using watts, but I did see a "floating roller" a few years back that look interesting. It sits on a track that let's it float forward and back. And the videos I've seen on YouTube look very much like actual cycling in and out of the seat. But last time I checked it was very expensive and I don't think it can monitor watts and such. I'm gonna have to look for it sometime AFTER I get a few darwins... :-( I'm planning on grabbing 2 for sure, maybe an extra one to for a friend or family if they are willing to pay for it.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Nice.

Rollers are awesome because they help teach you how to ride in a straight line better than anything else out there……as weird as that sounds……but there are a lot of people out there who can't do it.

I've tried riding a bike with a backpack, and I just can't do it. Feels too weird. I have a Chrome either Citizen Buckle Bag……it's awesome. Stays put even with out the extra retention strap and is quick to get on/off. Unfortunately, it's not quite big enough to carry everything I'd need to commute with it (the shoes put it over the top if I pack really light) and it's not a great bag off the bike……it works, but there's no good way to carry it at your side……definitely made to go on your back.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
Hi, I'm back from another ride on the Katy Trail. It was 94 degrees when I left, I did 12 miles and it was nice. I know this is baby steps stuff for you guys, but I am an old human, so after improving my health by NotSmoking, this is being a good thing!

I had to go in to work today and meet with the head guy of our maintenance. I needed to back up some critical hard drives. This guy is training for a triathlon this fall. He rode 100 miles today, before he met me at work @ 2 pm!

The little backpack works well for me. I am so new to bicycling, I don't have any valid ideas of what is good. As mentioned, a few months ago I was packing 48 pounds with a big external frame backpack several times a week, so this thing seems like absolutely nothing.

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
Yeah, anything is always better than nothing. I'm only 27, but when I got laid off, I did nothing but watch tv and play on my Xbox, and before started cycling again last month, I was hurting like an old man... Hurting from sitting down too long, hurting laying down too long. Got hurt at jumping place because my core muscles weren't what it used to. Not saying I'm in the best shape now, but feeling so much better knowing tomorrow/next week/next month I'll be in better shape than I was yesterday. Feeling the aches and pains of working out is a much better feeling than the aches and pains I got from doing nothing. Also improved my mood! Quitting smoking got me feeling agitated for awhile, and noticed that change from quitting ....-ogs, but more so with working out.

Regardless if it's less than a mile or more, just know than tomorrow, you'll be in better shape than yesterday. That's what keeps me going... Funny thing is, if I feel lazy and force myself to ride, I tend to push myself further than the days I'm hyped up to ride.

Keep up the riding, you're already in better shape than a lot of teenagers... (summer time means no school for the kids... I've also noticed a lot more kids late at night playing video games)

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342424606.502742.jpg e-cig holder... LoL

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
I, ah, carry mine in my pocket. This trail has lots of benches, I usually vape when I stop to rest and drink. I do get some funny looks (using a Darwin), but nobody's mentioned it.

I rode Sunday, went for 17 miles. I stopped and had a burger in that micro-town on the trail. It had fresh tomato on it from the giant garden in back of the bar and grill, it was great.

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
Just got back from my 19.53 mile ride, and it was WINDY! And cold! If the wind was coming from right to left, and i knew there were no cars, i'd "sail" from the far right of the lane, across 2 whole lanes for fun. If i fought it to go straight, it would probably look like i'm biking at an angle... LoL! Took a few pictures trees that should be standing straight up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342503532.158552.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342503553.118257.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342503578.978531.jpg
Just a nice view...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342503624.631792.jpg
My cyclometer showing average speed and max speed.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
Scary pics, Skratch! I can't imagine riding in winds like that, but I can't imagine riding around cars, in the first place. I'm not familiar with what kind of trees those are, but since I spent most of my life outside farming, in the MIdwest USA, that would look like 30mph winds or above around here.

Since I am mostly riding with a river on one side, and big tall bluffs on the other, there is never much wind of any kind. It was hot yesterday, 102 when my wife and I left to ride. It is very humid, we only rode for 8 miles total.

Here's my humble steed, nothing special at all, but a notch above most Walmart bikes, hopefully. It was $90 well spent.
IMG-20120711-00301.jpg

They have benches like this every couple of miles, so it's easy to stop and sit about anytime you want to. We did see two new animals yesterday. Deer are plentiful and we see them every time, but yesterday we saw 4 wild turkeys and a beaver. The turkeys were practically tame, we rode within a few feet of them. I stopped and was trying to take a picture, they waddled off as soon as we stopped.

I had never seen a beaver before, we had stopped and was looking at some pretty big trees that were chewed off (foot in diameter). I was commenting to to my wife if that might be beaver chewings, and one came running out of the little strip of woods and ran into the "big pile of crap" that I guess was their home, or dam.

mostapha, post some pics of your gear?

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
That looks remarkably familiar. I have a white 2010 Allez Compact. I'm considering selling it and upgrading to a 2012 apex mid compact allez, mostly because I really hate the sora shifters.

Oh, mine is '06 or '07. It was a year old, I was going to get a white and red (current for the year) but sooo glad they had a black and blue one! Now for some more embarrassing picture?!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342561973.638353.jpg
Hahahaha!

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
At least you have proper apparel, L2SK. Mine consists completely of two pairs of baggy shorts, that have Lycra/Spandex shorts inside, with gel padding. I'm not ready for the superhero look yet. One is a Canari Canyon, the other is very cheap Chinese brand X. The difference between them is night and day. In the Canari ones, I am more comfortable after a couple of hours, than I am after 30 minutes in the cheap ones.

Rode last night, it was 106 when I left. I made some small changes in my saddle, really made a difference! As I am starting to get in shape, and get used to the bike, I am learning more how things should be. Other than being hot, I was quite comfortable. I rode for 15 miles, and could have easily ridden some more but I was running out of daylight.

Here is a railroad tunnel from 1870 that the trail goes through. It cuts through the side of a bluff. It was easily 15 degrees cooler in there! I did stop and loiter there a bit for a break.

Moniteau-20120717-00315.jpg

Last edited:

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
@nanovapr: if the fork is in good shape, that Trek is a good bike. If it's in decent shape, it's a very solid frame with much less to go wrong than–for example–a full suspension bike. Given the pics that I've seen in this thread, nothing actually needs a full suspension anyway, so all it'd do is sap power. That would provide better exercise, but it might also be frustraing to feel like you're not doing anything.

And canari makes good clothes. I think my jersey is canari…it looks like a race jersey sponsored by my LBS…except I had to pay for it. Whatever…they're an awesome shop. On a group ride last summer, my friend left his shoes at home (kind of a problem with clipless pedals) and they loaned him a pair of $250 Bontrager (Trek) shoes for the ride (which was free). He ended up buying them because he loved them, but they were fully willing to disinfect them and throw them back in the stock pile for free.

Also, good shorts are kind of essential. But I'm also completely sold on very minamlist saddles with basically no padding. I took a gamble and bought a Selle Italia saddle that was on clearance and all the chafing/soreness problems I had with my included specialized saddle went away. As long as it's the right kind of flexible, not too big, and provides a platform for your sit bones, it works……padded saddles are made to sell to beginners who don't know better and included with bikes because most people don't bring shorts for test rides.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
mostapha, Yup, this is easy-peasy riding, people ride this trail on anything. I had hiked it a bit, and guessed that a hardtail MTB should be fine.

As an amateur, how do I tell if the fork is in good shape? Because it was used, before I bought it, I knew enough to hold the wheel between my legs, and yank on the bars to look for bearing wear/slop. I remember from my dirtbike/motorcycle days that you can change the oil viscosity to alter the damping characteristics. I am assuming the seals are in good shape, only because it doesn't seem to leak. I rode over a 5 inch dropoff (slowly), and they didn't compress even a third, so they at least sort of work. I know of MTB fork lockouts from reading, but this doesn't appear to have them.

Speaking of saddles and bikes, I saw a guy yesterday, with a brand new dual suspension MTB, and he had added a shock absorber seat post, and a wide 'fat guy' sprung saddle.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Speaking of saddles and bikes, I saw a guy yesterday, with a brand new dual suspension MTB, and he had added a shock absorber seat post, and a wide 'fat guy' sprung saddle.

Heh. Shock absorbing seat posts are stupid. They literally do nothing but sap power. But a lot of people buy them because they believe any old marketing document they read.

As for the fork……if it seems like it's working, it probably is. No/low wobble, smooth travel, appropriate to your weight (did it slam into the stops and jar you when you took that drop?), etc.. If you haven't noticed it grinding, it's good for $90. A good replacement will cost more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread