Temp Control trouble shooting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
I want to set up a thread for when we have specific TC problems.
My first one is the power (watts) spikes before settling on the pre set setting...
I have a 2.5 316L spaced coil. Watts is set at 13.5. When it fires, it spikes to 18, 22 sometimes up to 33W before settling back and below 13.5W ...gives me a hellova fright, and an uncomfortable vape...
What causes that?

Reactions: stols001

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I want to set up a thread for when we have specific TC problems.
My first one is the power (watts) spikes before settling on the pre set setting...
I have a 2.5 316L spaced coil. Watts is set at 13.5. When it fires, it spikes to 18, 22 sometimes up to 33W before settling back and below 13.5W ...gives me a hellova fright, and an uncomfortable vape...
What causes that?

What mod, tank, and coil type?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
DNA will throw at the coil what it has a preheat setting on wattage then cut back when the Temperature is hit.

Under the setting for the profile in DNA you will see on the general tab

If you connect a temperature-sensing coil

under that is Preheat Power and Wattage
Plus how long to apply

This defaults to 75W and 1 second on DNA75 unless changed

Also there is a bar to change hard or soft punch. This will change how much of the Wattage set is applied

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
He is using a DNA 75 mod it has a separate preheat wattage and normal wattage. They have different functions.

The preheat wattage can only be set in escribe for the DNA chip he has. He can also change the punch level of the preheat wattage and time to apply. On DNA color chips the punch level can be changed on the mod itself but not the one he has.

The preheat and punch is to ramp it fast to get it ready to go. When it hits preset temp the mod will cut back and only use the 15 watts he set on the mod by fluctuating that and limiting it to the 15 watts he set as top level.

The default is the high end of the wattage to be applied for 1 second. 75 Watts in this case. If the coil is a 15 W or less coil it will hit hard on the beginning with that setting of 75 W preheat then drop. 75 W is too much for that coil. The Preheat can be set high for coils that need a lot of power to ramp up.

He should drop the preheat wattage to 20 to 25 watts and keep the regular wattage set on the mod to slightly higher than the coil needs. So the coil he has isn't hit too hard causing a bad vape. While the mod will drop it fast when the temp is hit at the beginning 75 watts preheat with high punch will reach that instantly on a low wattage coil.

A high preheat is definitely good to get a high watt coil up and running fast though.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Untitled.png

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Another one for you TC gurus :p
My other DNA mod (Elfin 75W) has a problem at the moment. I get this sporadically with the others to actually....
Once again the coil is a 2.5mm, 316L at 0.85 ohms....spaced.
13 Watts and temp at 205C. When it fires the watts gradually lowers and bottoms out at about 3.5. Way to low for a decent vape.
Why would that be?
Also Escribe connected?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Low juice level would cause it to not put out vapor because it would be cutting the power to keep temp. Several things could be happening. The coil wick may not be wicking fast enough. Not enough juice on coil and it will heat up fast. The ohm reading needs to be fairly accurate it to work right also. If the ohm reading is off it will either run hot or will run cold and cut out. If the coil is gunked up it will also cause issues.

Maybe try taking the tank off and let it set at room temperature for half hour, then press fire button before putting it back on to clear reading from mod. Then put back on and see if it works ok after that.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Yeah in this case it was the coil being gunked up. Not much..I actually inspected it before but it looked good enough. I wicked this about 4 days ago...got a love/hate with these NETs..:p
Anyway... it seems sometimes it don't need much gunk to confuse TC....?

I've run some REALLY crummy looking (and tasting) coils/wicks in my DNAs without it doing anything but tasting like crap.

Have you run case thermals on the mods?
Made certain the mod resistance is set to a good value?

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Have you run case thermals on the mods?
Made certain the mod resistance is set to a good value?
Not to sure what that means :eek:, so I don't really know how to answer...;)
Its not the wicking thing for sure. I tried another few wicks and another build...2.0mm.0.64ohm. In TC it stays stable on 0.64 to.
Wicked it very carefully. It starts out good but after a while it fades until it becomes unvapable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread