Not open for further replies.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Okay. I have a some stainless steel coils that a friend gave me to try and I have no clue what to do if I install one in my Avocado that is running on my smok alien 220. When I access the Temp Control Menu in my settings and select TC and then select SS the next thing that pops up is 0.00100. Is this correct?

Any help or advice that can be given will be greatly appreciated.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
That is the TCR setting but SS is generally 0.00088 or at least lower than that

Wire wizard | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
put it for the TCR values
It showed the 0.00100 while I still had a Kanthal twisted build installed. I was just going through the settings menu on the mod while finishing the juice I have in my Atty and trying to familiarize myself with the TC settings before I switch

Reactions: stols001

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
That is what they put in the mod for TCR value. You can change it. You can try it at that setting for TCR and see if it works okay. It isn't reading the TCR value from the wire. You can change it if it isn't working right for you. If it is leave it.

Don't have that mod but the one I have has several preset TCR modes along with ones labeled Tungsten, SS316, Nickel.

I ended up changing one of the TCR modes to .00092 and it worked better. But you need to play around.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
That is what they put in the mod for TCR value. You can change it. You can try it at that setting for TCR and see if it works okay. It isn't reading the TCR value from the wire. You can change it if it isn't working right for you. If it is leave it.

Don't have that mod but the one I have has several preset TCR modes along with ones labeled Tungsten, SS316, Nickel.

I ended up changing one of the TCR modes to .00092 and it worked better. But you need to play around.
That makes sense. Many thanks for the help. You rock

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana

Ok, tell me if this makes sense. I have a .3 ohm single coil, running at 470 f, and the strength is set to 61 watts. Is the watts just the initial power up or is it something else entirely?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Basically yes the Watt is just ramp up as the device will try to maintain the temperature by lowering it as needed. Will probably see protection or something similar on the screen when it does that.

If it is showing temperature protection all the time, you can play around by lowering the wattage some.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Basically yes the Watt is just ramp up as the device will try to maintain the temperature by lowering it as needed. Will probably see protection or something similar on the screen when it does that.

If it is showing temperature protection all the time, you can play around by lowering the wattage some.
Dialed it back down to 45 watts and at 470 f it seems to work really well. I'll keep tweeking it. I really do appreciate your help.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Don't know what version of the Alien you have, there's a A and a B version (shows on the firmware display, at least the B does). For the A version, the firmware update from Smok to 1.3.2 improves TC performance quite a bit, so you should consider that update (only if you have the A version, won't work on the B version).

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Don't know what version of the Alien you have, there's a A and a B version (shows on the firmware display, at least the B does). For the A version, the firmware update from Smok to 1.3.2 improves TC performance quite a bit, so you should consider that update (only if you have the A version, won't work on the B version).
Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure that I am running on the old version. It shows 1.0.2 I'll try to do an update later. I tried to do it shortly after I got the mod and the cable I had was charging the device but it wouldn't connect and show the device connecting to my pc.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
I checked and I was on the B version of 1.0.2
I updated to 1.0.3 and TC actually improved but now the mod shuts off after a few minutes of inactivity. Just my luck. Looks like I did something wrong with the update. I called my guy at the shop I frequent and he told me to bring it by tomorrow and he'd try to help. If nothing else it gives me an excuse to buy another mod!

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
You might be able to flash the older version back to it if you have the firmware file
trying that out now. I have to say that Smok's whole update process is enough to ensure that I will never buy another product from them. Could they possibly come up with a more user unfriendly process?

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
I finally figured a way around Smok's asinine update process. I bought a Voopoo Drag 157W and for anyone who's curious, Voopoo's update process is idiot proof.

Love my Drag, only I'm not a huge fan of the auto shutoff in the last update. Not enough to get upset about though.

Hope you enjoy it. Great MOD, despite the name.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Love my Drag, only I'm not a huge fan of the auto shutoff in the last update. Not enough to get upset about though.

Hope you enjoy it. Great MOD, despite the name.
I'm loving it so far. The reviewers weren't exaggerating when they said this thing fires quick!

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Okay. I have a some stainless steel coils that a friend gave me to try and I have no clue what to do if I install one in my Avocado that is running on my Smok Alien 220. When I access the Temp Control Menu in my settings and select TC and then select SS the next thing that pops up is 0.00100. Is this correct?

Any help or advice that can be given will be greatly appreciated.

That number means nothing to me. Where does it come from? I know, what a dumb question.

From your first post :)

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
That number means nothing to me. Where does it come from? I know, what a dumb question.
That's the number you quoted regarding what you see when you get in TC-SS mode on your machine. I think it's a bit high; rather than .001, I think it ought to be in the .0008-.0009 range; but this will depend on what grade or alloy of stainless you have. That number is the TCR; that is the Temperature Coefficient of Resistance. TCR is a fancy title for a simple concept. All metals directly vary their resistivity to current with temperature; that is as temperature rises, so does resistance. Some metals do this more than others. How much a metal does this is known as its TCR. Some metals do this in a very even manner; that is the difference in resistivity between x degrees and x+1 degrees is the same, or nearly so, as the difference between y degrees and y+1 degrees. This quality is known as having a "flat TCR curve" because it graphs as a nearly straight line. TC vape wires are chosen from among the flat TCR group because it makes the math easier for the chip to do. The adjustment on your mod is to allow you to change the number to make your TC a bit hotter or cooler if you want to; to get as close as possible to the exact TCR your particular alloy needs to be accurate.

Here's a list I cribbed from another site:

Every type of wire has different Temperature Coefficient or TCR and here is the list of the most common and uncommon wires used to vape:
Ni200: 0.00620
Ti01: 0.00350
SS316L: 0.00092
SS316: 0.000915
SS317L: 0.00088
SS317: 0.000875
SS304: 0.00105
SS430: 0.00138
SS410: 0.00155
NiFe30: 0.00320
Tungsten: 0.00450
Platinum: 0.00392
Nichrome: 0.00040
Gold: 0.00340

As you can see from the quote, Stainless TCRs run from .00088 to .00155 depending on specific alloy. (You almost certainly have SS316 or SS317, which are the most common.) If you don't know which alloy you are using, then just go with the .001 figure as being somewhere in the middle of the list. If you do know the alloy, use the list and change the numbers to the one specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread