Temperature control and VW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaper12345678

Aug 26, 2018
So I bought a pack of alien claptons and vape them in variable wattage mode for a couple of tanks and in an youtube video from dash vapes said that it is dangerous to vape nickel and titanium in VW mode because they start oxidizing. But you can Use stainless steel in both VW and TC. So is it safe to use this coils that I bought to vape on variable wattage mod?

Attachments

• E9EC6ECD-9077-40AB-B803-AE24D11F5385.jpeg
    E9EC6ECD-9077-40AB-B803-AE24D11F5385.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • E187E0B1-5B1C-44E7-9952-E18FC971C843.jpeg
    E187E0B1-5B1C-44E7-9952-E18FC971C843.jpeg
    703.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I concur about the coils you have, if they aren't made of SS wire you can only vape them in wattage mode see if you can get or make some SS wires for Temp mode.

@Anise, I've always heard about titanium and nickel is that if you use them in wattage mode and they overheat nasty byproducts can occur in the vape. You also can't dry burn either as the temperatures get too hot and destroy the coil (I mean nickel can melt etc.)

Some folks really like the flavors from that wire, and use them anyway. I see several advantages to SS, including the ability to run in both wattage and temp mode, and since I like the taste fine, that is what I use..

Ceramic is also safe in some TC applications but it varies a bit from coil to coil, but it can sometimes be used..

Anna

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
What happens if you use Nickel or Titanium coils in watts mode?
Nickel coils usually have a very low resistance. They have to, because they need a lot of breathing room above their intitial cold resistance, since nickel's resistance rises - a lot- along with its temperature. If you ever wondered why your regulated mods accepts lower coil resistances in temperature mode than in wattage mode, that's why.

Let's assume you have a Ni200 coil, sitting at 0.1ohms on the top of your mech mod :) 0.1ohm means the quotient of voltage to current is 1 to 10. Since the mech mod can't regulate voltage, it will usually fire with somewhere between 3.2-4.2volts, depending on its charge. As a result, the drawn amps would be betweeen 32A and 42A. Not good for a single battery mod. In a parallel-wired multi-battey mod this can be ok, because the voltage stays the same, while the amperage is evenly split between the cells, taking the load for a single battery back into safe territory. In a series-wired multi-battery mech mod however, the voltage doubles to 6.4-8.4, which means it will now try to draw between 64 and 84amps. Not going to happen.

In a regulated mod, things are different. In TC mode, the coil`s resistance is watched continuously and the output voltage (resulting in amps drawn and therefor wattage delivered) is regulated accordingly at all times in order to keep the resistance below a certain threshold (translating to temperature). In VW mode, that last bit doesn't happen. If you only use suited materials in VW mode, the coil material's resistance is not going to change significantly when it heats up. But it does for nickel, and when the coil's resistance rises, the mod has to raise the output voltage to compensate for the drop in amperage. If the required voltage exceeds that which the battery (and the voltage-booster on the PCB) can deliver, who knows what will happen. Maybe the mod's software will tell it to stop firing, or keep firing at its maximum voltage output, or maybe the voltage-booster goes up in smoke if it isn't properly protected. Someone should try that. Not me, tho.

And the other things is: Despite your personal choices, the TC mode has fixed maximum temperature values for its coils. VW mode doesn't care. If you keep on firing in VW, the coil will easily exceed those temperature limits. Will the nickel then start to release unhealthy particles into the air you suck up? I don't know. What I know is, Nickel is bad for your body. And people can be allergic to it. Better not take the risk.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread