Temperature Control Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBrentonK

Oct 2, 2015
I found no videos on instructions for how to do temperature control, and I just got the NEBOX yesterday which has the TC on it. I don't know what TC does. Can someone explain it? I know how to go to the different sections on my NEBOX where I can adjust or do whatever I need, but I just don't understand how it works. Is it better than wattage mode? What's the difference? I suppose I have tons of questions, but this should do it for the OP.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I found no videos on instructions for how to do temperature control, and I just got the NEBOX yesterday which has the TC on it. I don't know what TC does. Can someone explain it? I know how to go to the different sections on my NEBOX where I can adjust or do whatever I need, but I just don't understand how it works. Is it better than wattage mode? What's the difference? I suppose I have tons of questions, but this should do it for the OP.

The Very FIRST thing you need to know is - You must use proper material coils for TC Mode, according to your Mod capabilities.
Ni200
Titanium #1
Stainless Steel - in several Variation such as 304, 430 and 316L < mod dependent.

Failing ot fully understand TC will leave a person THINKNG it is not a good system. In Fact Most who have given up on TC, complaining of weak vape, Never learned how to use it. :facepalm:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
What does "it goes to a set temperature you choose" really mean?
It means the mod will heat up the coil to the temperature you have set. When the coil reaches that temperature the mod will dial back the power/wattage to keep the coil at that temperature. Or better said, the wattage will fluctuate to keep the coil at that temperature.

Last edited:

JBrentonK

Oct 2, 2015
I've heard that before, Susan~S. The wattage fluctuates. I really don't understand how it works at all. Is nobody really ever going to do a temperature control guide on youtube? I've looked and there are no guides/instructions or whatever. That's like, SO stupid. Hundreds of thousands of people are looking for them I bet. How many NEBOX owners are there?

So like I really don't understand that what you said susan~s. But that's ok. I'll just give up on TC. Best idea there is anyway. TC isn't even changing the quality/temperature of the vape cloud anyway, so why in the world would you consider it? Like, are you a vaper that is really preppy? TC may be just for you!

Thanks for nothing people.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
A brother of mine has been vaping 2 ml's a day of 12 mg nic at 7 watts with a Nautilus mini tank and an iStick 20 watt for 1 year. He replaces coils once a month, buys 120 ml bottles of liquid online and has no interest in changing anything. I envy him. If your vape is like that you can get along fine without temp control. I vape drippers only and like higher watts. I use temp control and swear by it because it eliminates dry hits with drippers.

1. Quit smoking
2. Save money
3. Do research

JBrentonK

Oct 2, 2015
"Do research"

What do you expect me to find?

Btw,
My favoriate quality of vape thus far is the Eleaf Istick mini 10watt. I smoke a genitank on it and I swear by it. I'll probably try other tanks, but, I'm kind of low on doe. So it'll take me a couple months to get up enough guts.

Nevertheless, I have my NEBOX I prefer over any of my other tanks/mods, and so I will always wonder about that "TC" BS you were talking about. I hear you have a lot of reasons to prefer it too. Dry hit elimination is probably the best thing to hit the vaping market... NOT! Anyway, I like the quality of vape from my NEBOX for another 2 weeks (until I run out of ejuice). Then it's back to savin the doe. BTW I also go through about 2mils per day with my Genitank. Saves me 200$ per month (I spend an average of 225$ per month).

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
That was a little too simple. I think I already understand MOST of what it said. But I really just don't get the basics.... What does "it goes to a set temperature you choose" really mean? It's not vaping the watts its vaping the temperature?
Exactly that - the mod reads the coil resistance continually, calculates the temperature based on a programmed value table, and varies the power applied to the coil to maintain the set temperature. TC mods require than you lock in the coil resistance when the coil is cool so the mod can compare the resistance changes as the coil is heated to do the calculations for hitting the set temp. Some (most) TC mods let you set the wattage being applied as a means of controlling the ramp-up time to get the coil heated. After that, it's just a matter of you setting a temp that you want to vape at and the mod will handle the rest.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Exactly that - the mod reads the coil resistance continually, calculates the temperature based on a programmed value table, and varies the power applied to the coil to maintain the set temperature. TC mods require than you lock in the coil resistance when the coil is cool so the mod can compare the resistance changes as the coil is heated to do the calculations for hitting the set temp. Some (most) TC mods let you set the wattage being applied as a means of controlling the ramp-up time to get the coil heated. After that, it's just a matter of you setting a temp that you want to vape at and the mod will handle the rest.
There is another way.

1. Set the temp limiter as high as it will go, 600 or so.

2. Find the wattage you want to vape at. Start low, work your way up just like in VW mode.

3. Using a mirror, watch the screen as you take a normal puff and take note of the highest "temp" shown.

4. Set the limiter 10*F/5*C above the "temp" from step 3.

This way you only hit the limiter if the wick starts to dry out.

JBrentonK

Oct 2, 2015
I have another question to ask, and I was going to make a new thread for it, but I figure that since this is a TC thread, it should belong better here.

I have heard that TC really saves on battery life. This wasn't a big deal to me, but is it true?
The next question, and my main question I have, is, does TC save you on ejuice? I have heard that it does, and I just haven't got it confirmed. This is litterally ASTOUNDING news to me, because I spend such a high dollar to vape ecigs, so it really shocked me. The study or whatever the guy was talking about said that they found results that you will save about half of your eliquid. That is an incredible ammount! I wanted to know how it does this also. I mean, I just figured out TC thanks to you guy's help, or I think I did anyway, and I'm really loving it so far. But it saves you juice? Seriously? Anyone have any experience with this? How much juice did you save?

If I can get down to 10 mils in 3 days I think I'll be satified smoking my NEBOX more often than my eleaf istick mini 10watt. I will definately stick to the e leaf still over my NEBOX, but I just have to say. I'll be using both! LoL. Good mouth to lung hit capacitys with the NEBOX, I think anyway. Plus the TC is just awesome!

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
I have another question to ask, and I was going to make a new thread for it, but I figure that since this is a TC thread, it should belong better here.

I have heard that TC really saves on battery life. This wasn't a big deal to me, but is it true?
The next question, and my main question I have, is, does TC save you on ejuice? I have heard that it does, and I just haven't got it confirmed. This is litterally ASTOUNDING news to me, because I spend such a high dollar to vape ecigs, so it really shocked me. The study or whatever the guy was talking about said that they found results that you will save about half of your eliquid. That is an incredible ammount! I wanted to know how it does this also. I mean, I just figured out TC thanks to you guy's help, or I think I did anyway, and I'm really loving it so far. But it saves you juice? Seriously? Anyone have any experience with this? How much juice did you save?

If I can get down to 10 mils in 3 days I think I'll be satified smoking my NEBOX more often than my eleaf istick mini 10watt. I will definately stick to the e leaf still over my NEBOX, but I just have to say. I'll be using both! LoL. Good mouth to lung hit capacitys with the NEBOX, I think anyway. Plus the TC is just awesome!
The only thing TC innately does is prevent dry hits.

To use less eliquid turn down the wattage, go up in nicotine stregnth, use a more effiecient atomizer (less airflow/better flavor).

spalife

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2014
1. Think of Temperature Control as an Air Conditioner or a Room Heater whichever you prefer,
which helps you set your House/Room to be at a certain comfortable temperature.

2. Temperature Control helps you get consistent vapes repeatedly...
i.e., cooler, warmer, hotter...erupting volcanoes !

3. Temperature Control does not save battery life....so far.
Potentially in future the mod's might improve battery life but
the current crop of Mod's do not improve battery life.

4. Temperature control does not save/influence your juice intake....you can.
Juice intake depends on coil build and vaping style/frequency.

5. If you are interested in the internal workings of how temperature control works,
I would suggest you take a look at the concept of TCR of Insulators & Conductors
which explain of how when the Temperature goes up Insulators Resistance decreases
and Conductors resistance increases.

6. Temperature Control when it comes to vaping currently works on certain conducting wires such as
Titanium(Ti), Nichorme(Ni) and Stainless Steel (SS).
The current crop of mod's since they know the material composition of the Temperature Control
Wires and how they react to a certain temperature (curve) are able to provide TC experience in
Vaping.

7. OCC coils means Organic Cotton Coils
SSOCC coils mean Stainless Steel Organic Cotton Coils
Since the coils you are inquiring are Stainless Steel coils you can use it in Temperature Control
Mode if your Mod supports SS temperature control.

8. Temperature Control is evolving as is Vaping...
perhaps soon we will find out...it is advisable to vape certain wires at certain temperatures.
Some juices like to be cooked slow and some need to be dumped into a furnace to
satisfy our vaping taste buds.

In short TC allows us control over how we cook and vape our juice.

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
I too have been messing with this new fad of TC. At the moment I am using an Eleaf Istick 60W TC mod with a Kangertech Ni200 OCC coils in a mini Sub ohm tank. I also own a Heatvape Invader Mini TC mod and a Xpro M80 plus the latter I find hopeless in TC mode at it takes far too long to kick in when used in TC mode. I have several RBA's however have yet to succeed in building a good TC coil. The Eleaf IMHO gives the best performance thus far however like the Heatvape Invader Mini is a battery muncher. I use the Apire 18650 40A high discharge batteries and would like to know if there are any better high discharge batteries available in Australia. I am getting rather tired of Aussie vendors that unwittingly get stuck with clones and try to pass them off as the real mckoy. I prefer to shop in Oz as with the fall of our currency and high freight costs from the US, UK, and China are ridiculous. The darn freight is nearly as expensive as the sample product I wish to try. Any suggestions anyone? Thanks in advanve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread