Temperature Control (Autoignition of Cotton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfisher

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2013
Springfield, Ohio, USA
I keep coming across information around the web stating that the burning temperature of cotton is ~410 degrees Fahrenheit and that in order to avoid burning the cotton one must keep the maximum temperature on a temperature controlled device below this number.

I have not found this to be true and am wondering if it is because we should be referencing the Autoignition Point of cotton, rather than the Fire Point of cotton. According to Wikipedia (htttp://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton) the Fire Point of cotton is 410 degrees Fahrenheit and the Autoignition Temperature of cotton is 797 degrees Fahrenheit.

The Fire Point of cotton seems to be the point at which cotton will ignite if introduced to an open flame. The Autoignition Temperature looks to be the point at which cotton will ignite spontaneously.

It seems to me that unless our Temperature Controlled mods have started shooting flames we should be more interested in keeping the maximum temperature setting below the Autoignition Temperature (at least with respect to the topic of burning cotton).

Thoughts?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I keep coming across information around the web stating that the burning temperature of cotton is ~410 degrees Fahrenheit and that in order to avoid burning the cotton one must keep the maximum temperature on a temperature controlled device below this number.

410 F is the scorching point of dry cotton, where it just starts to turn a bit brown. I've used that to help me check temperature calibration of a TC build.

I have not found this to be true and am wondering if it is because we should be referencing the Autoignition Point of cotton, rather than the Fire Point of cotton. According to Wikipedia (htttp://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton) the Fire Point of cotton is 410 degrees Fahrenheit and the Autoignition Temperature of cotton is 797 degrees Fahrenheit.

The Fire Point of cotton seems to be the point at which cotton will ignite if introduced to an open flame. The Autoignition Temperature looks to be the point at which cotton will ignite spontaneously.

It seems to me that unless our Temperature Controlled mods have started shooting flames we should be more interested in keeping the maximum temperature setting below the Autoignition Temperature (at least with respect to the topic of burning cotton).

Thoughts?

I don't know at what temperature cotton ignites, but IMO It doesn't really matter for vaping. TC senses the average temperature of the coil wire, not the wick. Once a wick is wet it draws heat from the surface of a coil wire and dissipates it by turning juice into vapor so fast the wick will pretty much never get hot enough to burn.

When I use TC it's all about keeping juice from getting hot enough to degrade and change into nasty chemicals, not about wick temp :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread